Ladies SP - Cup of China 2013 | Page 11 | Golden Skate

Ladies SP - Cup of China 2013

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Carolina's music takes me back to Josee Chouinard's program to the same music. Josee's program was better.

hurrah

Medalist
Not a good SP competition in general. Regarding Caro, I was kind of disappointed at first, but her skating is really, really smooth and fast. Lovely to watch.
The only thing I always feel with Caro is that there are spots when I can detect a slight disjuncture between her upper body and lower body. Maybe it's her arms. She stiffens her arms when she should just keep it relaxed. I think that in the past two seasons, the music she skated to didn't necessarily require her to have soft, balletic arms, but this program with its softness and her just baring her arms means she can't hide that she does stiffen her arms here and there throughout the program.

coolboogie22

Match Penalty
And, let's remember that Carolina had a minor injury in September that kept her off the ice for some time, so part of why her jumps aren't really stable is probably this

Carolina doesn't need any excuse at all!!!
Her technical content is no where as a top competitor, seriously triple toe/triple toe and triple loop, even the Junior girl make more difficult jump.
She has no excuse to not skate well, she was able in her early career to make triple flip/triple toe and triple lutz who seems to me the content that she needs for an Olympic season.

I'm tired to see Carolina skating cautiously with easy content.
And, her program begin to be less difficult each year after year because there is no transition before the jumps and the jumps are really telegraph.

She is overrated and doesn't deserve so HIGH PCS!!!

Tanja90

On the Ice
Her technical content is no where as a top competitor, seriously triple toe/triple toe and triple loop, even the Junior girl make more difficult jump.
She has no excuse to not skate well, she was able in her early career to make triple flip/triple toe and triple lutz who seems to me the content that she needs for an Olympic season.

And, her program begin to be less difficult each year after year because there is no transition before the jumps and the jumps are really telegraph.

Ehm...PCS are not given based on the technical difficulty a program has! Don't mix the thing....I thought she would have upgrated the technical difficulty in the short too but maybe she preferred to keep the jumps as they were for the beggining of the season considering the problem at the backbshe had..or just decided to keep them for the season considering that in the past years she almost hit the 70s with a clean program and less PCS...
And it's not true that she didn't upgrade the difficulty overall..look at last's year boler!!! 3f3t a 3luz and seven triples planned with a very intricate program.
As for this short program..well, I am a uber..I LOVE carolina since 2006 but at first I was disappointed with it..I felt like it had nothing special..then I watched it again and again again and I ended up being: WOW! it's sweet...whatching it was likebI was having a walk in the park listening to this music. I think that this program needs to be watched a few more times to really understand it at appreciate its smoothness. There are a lot of little movements in every part of it. Exquisite.If skated to a full potential it could be a great great program! Let's hope so!

EricRohmer

On the Ice
I think the camera work might have not done justice to Carolina's performance impression. Even Yan Han with great results yesterday & Kozuka with great SS looked less attractive for me yesterday. (I like this two.)

And I don't think that Carolina is overrated. She has an exceptional quality which more stands out on live viewing like Yuna.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Regarding Adelina scoring 70+ clean, yeah, she could do that if she did 3lz-3lo and didn't receive an edge call or a UR on the back end of the combo, and does everything else clean and gets all the levels, but there's a really low chance of that ever happening. That combo is just way too risky and the flutz is still very apparent even though for whatever reason it was ignored today.

Anyways, I'm very optimistic for Anna, I actually think the fact that she got mid-6s for PCS skating just 2nd after the Chinese girl set a very low score target is pretty encouraging. Her PCS were right in the same range as Gosviani, Imai, Zawadzki, and Li, who all skated later, although they were not clean. So really for a 15 year old who is relatively unknown that is quite decent PCS, and I'm sure they will rise higher if she can continue to skate well at international events which will help improve her WS and start order in addition to making her more well-known reputation wise. I guess at 15 she's likely to grow some more, especially judging from her legs and feet, but she has grown a lot the past couple seasons and her skating has improved at the same time, so for now, everything seems to be on track. Plus her jumps get very good height, which cannot be said for all the wonderbabies.

Sotnikova was good and Kostner was nice but lacking in content, but everyone else sort of just blurred together for me. I like Gosviani a lot, and Li though they both had too many mistakes today. Agnes has such great presence and power on the ice it's a shame she continues to crumble in competition like this. Disappointed with Kanako too...tomorrow should be interesting, there's a lot of room for shuffling in the ladies standings and I feel the only true lock for the podium at this point is Kostner, you never know what the other competitors will do...

thinspread

On the Ice
^^ I too liked Pogorilaya a lot. Overall, maybe she's a bigger talent than Lipnitskaia. Time will tell. The wealth of young talents Russia now has is amazing.

Li was lovely as always. She seems to have been struggling with growth spurt. Her SP was OK, but I think she doesn't have yet the force and fire to pull off a tango.

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States
LADIES SHORT PROGRAM - RESULT & VIDEOS (Updated)

1. Adelina SOTNIKOVA (RUS) - 66.03 Short Program, 2nd Copy
2. Carolina KOSTNER (ITA) - 62.75 Short Program, 2nd Copy
3. Anna POGORILAYA (RUS) - 60.24 Short Program
4. Kanako MURAKAMI (JPN) - 57.33 Short Program
5. Haruka IMAI (JPN) - 54.79 Short Program
6. Nikol GOSVIANI (RUS) - 53.76 Short Program
7. Agnes ZAWADZKI (USA) - 53.73 Short Program
8. Zijun LI (CHN) - 53.58 Short Program
9. Kexin ZHANG (CHN) - 53.32 Short Program
10. Xiaowen GUO (CHN) - 45.32

Thank you Mao88! Once again you totally ROCK!

Thank you to all who provided pbp, much appreciated! I have to work double shifts all weekend so I'm not going to be able to see NBC's coverage.

Besides the botched Combo, this wasn't too bad from Angelina.

Adelina. :biggrin:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Not a good SP competition in general. Regarding Caro, I was kind of disappointed at first, but her skating is really, really smooth and fast. Lovely to watch.
The only thing I always feel with Caro is that there are spots when I can detect a slight disjuncture between her upper body and lower body. Maybe it's her arms. She stiffens her arms when she should just keep it relaxed. I think that in the past two seasons, the music she skated to didn't necessarily require her to have soft, balletic arms, but this program with its softness and her just baring her arms means she can't hide that she does stiffen her arms here and there throughout the program.

Did anyone notice Caro not only fell on the combo but she struggled wit the double axel too.

TryMeLater

On the Ice

Murakami does a 3T-3T.
Is she a junior as well?
I want to see how all of the russian babies will skate at 26, after having meltdowns like Kostner did.
Not to mention that Kostner was a great technical skater as a wonder baby-just watch her performance at the 2003 Europeans.