Some questions about TEB | Golden Skate

Some questions about TEB

snowball88

Spectator
I'm going to TEB this year, never been there before and I was wondering a few questions: Is there a chance to follow the practice sessions somehow? Are there ever any meet&greets organised and where would I get info on those? Is there a chance to actually meet the skaters?

Other tips on the event are also warmly welcomed, thanks :) !

cynthia24

On the Ice
You can meet the skaters at their hotel (novotel) or when they go or come back from the ice rink (it's just a few meters from the hotel). It's quite easy to meet them, to take photos. I think the practice sessions are not opened to the public... I will also be there, i'm looking forward to the event!!!!

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Welcome to Golden Skate, snowball88! Post long & often! Are you going to TEB? If so, I hope you will tell us all about your fabulous experience! Reports from those who saw the skating live in the arena are the best!

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
You can meet the skaters at their hotel (novotel) or when they go or come back from the ice rink (it's just a few meters from the hotel). It's quite easy to meet them, to take photos. I think the practice sessions are not opened to the public... I will also be there, i'm looking forward to the event!!!!
o_O

There will be TROUBLE, if my wife is not allowed into the practice sessions...!

I'm also looking forward to the event very much... although I am very disappointed that Kiira Korpi and Kim Yuna both pulled out. That was my last chance to ever see Kim live in competition.

SaraM

Final Flight
Country
Norway
Im also going, and some other girl from the forum as well! The last time i went to a skating event was european in zagreb and tje skaters actually walk around the area, it was quite easy to spot them, and most of them are really nice and will let you take pictures :)

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
Apparently, it says on the Trophee Eric Bompard farcebook page, that there is no access to practice sessions for ticket holders or the public.

EDIT: Furthermore, it says that "On Friday, 9000 school children will be in the stands to cheer on the skaters during practice and short programmes". 9000 Schoolchildren get to see Friday's practice... and because Friday's seating is unallocated, presumably the kids will take the best seats before the ticket holders are allowed in. If I were less charitable, I might be a bit grumpy about this. But I look on the bright side... perhaps stuff like this will encourage a new generation of skating fans.

Now, does anybody know if photography is allowed? I'm talking "no flash", non-professional camera (not a giant intrusive-lens type thing) and personal use only.

Seems pretty difficult to find information about these kind of things for Bompard. Furthermore, when buying seats, how do you know which side the judges are, or where the Kiss & Cry is etc? This is in stark contrast to Skate America - their web pages had a wealth of such information.

I took a guess at the Bompard layout by watching videos of last year's competition... but I'm still not entirely sure we wiill be sitting where I think we are... o_O (Also from last year's videos... NOT impressed by venues where the seating is 3m+ back from the rink and 3m+ above it :p). Why do they do that? Is it a Zamboni racetrack or something?!

Eh well. We'll see what happens on Friday.

yuki

Final Flight
Apparently, it says on the Trophee Eric Bompard farcebook page, that there is no access to practice sessions for ticket holders or the public.

Now, does anybody know if photography is allowed? I'm talking "no flash", non-professional camera (not a giant intrusive-lens type thing) and personal use only.

This is what I was able to find: http://www.bercy.fr/infos_pratiques/reglement
The relevant part:

Toute photo est interdite, avec ou sans flash. Les contrevenants se verront confisquer leurs appareils à l'entrée de la salle.

Apparently, you are not allowed to take any kind of photos, with or without flash. I am not really sure if this is only applicable for concerts or if it's also for the sports events. Maybe someone who has been to TEB in recent years can shed more light on this?

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
This is what I was able to find: http://www.bercy.fr/infos_pratiques/reglement

Apparently, you are not allowed to take any kind of photos, with or without flash. I am not really sure if this is only applicable for concerts or if it's also for the sports events. Maybe someone who has been to TEB in recent years can shed more light on this?

Hi, thanks, yes I saw that but it seemed to be a "general purpose" thing for the venue. I've seen similar "general" rules at other venues, but certain individual events held at them still explicitly allowed photography.

The thing is, I'm pretty sure I can see people with cameras in the audience, in videos of past TEB events... and I've definitely seen camera flashes in the audience during the gala. So were those people flouting the rules, or were cameras actually allowed?

I just wish they'd make such things clear - it seems the only way to find anything out, is to post on their Facebook page, and MAYBE they will answer. Whatever the rules are, I don't mind sticking to them... but I'm not sure what the rules are. And I'd like to take photos if it's allowed.

By the way, the idea of confiscating cameras at the door sounds pretty unfeasible, given that most mobile phones now have cameras...!

sigrid

On the Ice
The School Children always go to TEB on Fridays, but they sit in the upper part of the arena, even if they arrive first. They leave the seats closer to the rink for skating fans.

Photography is allowed, always you don't use flash (the announcers repeat it quite a few times during the competition) and you don't have an incredibly big lens. Even if you use a professional camera. Video recording is also allowed.

The seats on sale are usually those in the side opposite to the judges. Doors: O, P, R... Here's a map http://billetterie.bercy.fr/manifestation/trophee-eric-bompard-billet/idmanif/285798#zoneplan The Kiss and cry area is Door L in that same map.

The seats are like that because the Bercy is like that. There's not enough space to add seats closer to the rink.

And they don't look inside the people's bags too much at the main door.

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
Sigrid, thank you so much for all that useful information!

Mista Ekko

Record Breaker
Hey guys, i'm also going ;)
Also bringing a Camera
Also wondered about the practices,
Thanks for being here !

See you at the novotel

snowball88

Spectator
Yes, I was supposed to go, but as it turns out I won't be able to after all due to work related things. So disappointing :cry: Nevertheless, I hope that everyone who gets to go have a great weekend and enjoys their time!!!

SaraM

Final Flight
Country
Norway
Im at TEB, and can someone help me out? How do i actually meet the skaters? Would love to have a pic with the best man in skating jason. But seems that the skaters only hang around in the accreditation areas.. public cant go to press conference either i think. Can anyone help me out? Like at what time do they leave the hotell for the rink? I sound like a stalker i know, but this might be my only chance meeting jason and i wanna tell him how amazing he is!!

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Im at TEB, and can someone help me out? How do i actually meet the skaters? Would love to have a pic with the best man in skating jason. But seems that the skaters only hang around in the accreditation areas.. public cant go to press conference either i think. Can anyone help me out? Like at what time do they leave the hotell for the rink? I sound like a stalker i know, but this might be my only chance meeting jason and i wanna tell him how amazing he is!!

Sara, wishing very much that the wonderful Jason will have a chance to meet you and to learn that he has a Norwegian fan who has traveled to France for TEB. I believe that he would be very pleased to take a photo with a supporter like you.

ICYMI, in one of his blogs over the summer, Jason wrote a little bit about his regret that he had been too shy to introduce himself and say hello to Michelle Kwan when he was practicing at her family's rink in California. (IIRC, Jason was competing in the area, and the Kwans' rink was the official practice venue.)

In his blog, Jason encouraged his readers not to make the same mistake that he did -- and to go ahead and reach out to those whom they admire. [ETA, I hope that it goes without saying that humble Jason was not on an ego trip -- he wrote not a word that indicated that he was flattering himself that anyone would or should be starstruck in his presence.]

Sorry that I have zero experience with this kind of thing, and cannot give you any practical advice on when/where it would be feasible and appropriate to cross paths with Jason.
But if it were possible to identify and contact the U.S. Figure Skating team leader and/or other USFS officials on the ground there for TEB, I would try asking one of them. And/or have you already asked anyone from FFSG for guidance?

(Failing those possibilities: do others here at GS think it would be weird/wrong/overly intrusive to tweet your question to his coach? I myself would not feel right sending a tweet directly to Jason -- at least not until after all the men have completed their FS event. But I would hope that a polite inquiry would not be a terrible distraction for his coach, who seems like a very nice person. Seems that the worst that could happen is that she could choose not to respond.)

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker

I'd suggest hanging out at the hotel bar or restaurant where the skaters are staying. I actually did that when I went to Skate America last year and I sitting next to Brian Orser and talking to him for like 30 minutes. Usually the skaters head back to the hotel after the final session of the night. That's a good time because everyone's settled for the night and not occupied with the next event or whatever.

Other times, the skaters may be attending other sessions too. I know Jason LOVES cheering other skaters on, so you may catch him walking around the arena or even hanging out between sessions in the spectator area. I bet you anything he would be attending the Ladies session to cheer on Ashley, Christina and Samantha, for instance.

From what I've read from fans who were at Skate America, Jason is very friendly and more than willing to take a photo.

I don't think it would be unreasonable to tweet at Kori Ade. She seems pretty laid back. Heck, I don't think it would be that bad to tweet Jason himself. I wouldn't say the same for other skaters, but Jason is always good at responding to tweets from fans, from what I can see.

SaraM

Final Flight
Country
Norway
Thanx for the replies! Yes i was thinking about hanging out at the hotell, but as im not staying at that hotell im scared they might throw me out or something.. :p

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Thanx for the replies! Yes i was thinking about hanging out at the hotell, but as im not staying at that hotell im scared they might throw me out or something.. :p

The hotel bar/restaurant is usually open to non-guests. i'd say if you're not blatant or super distracting, the hotel staff wouldn't even know the difference. (And I remember Japanese fans camping out at the hotel entrance waiting for their favorite skaters and the staff didn't blink an eye).

(For the record, I was not staying at the host hotel for Skate America last year).

DannyCurry

On the Ice
Good advice from Mrs P. indeed.

Although I never hung around the Novotel to take pictures with the skaters, I know several people who did, successfully.

Now, another subject: Some Italian folks who were sitting behind me wouldn't stop chatting (before, during and after each skater's performance). How rude is that?!!!

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Good advice from Mrs P. indeed.

Although I never hung around the Novotel to take pictures with the skaters, I know several people who did, successfully.

Now, another subject: Some Italian folks who were sitting behind me wouldn't stop chatting (before, during and after each skater's performance). How rude is that?!!!

I love sitting at hotel bars (of course you have to be old enough) as it's great for people watching. I don't know the layout of the Novotel, but Skate America hotel last year was great because the hotel bar was open and right up front, so you could watch skaters coming in and out. Or you could watch skaters walking around. I don't really like just standing around waiting. I might opt to sit at the bar and see who sits next to me or I might walk around the hotel. I bumped into a couple skaters that way.

That is annoying! I was lucky I never encountered chatty people or the screamy lady from Skater America earlier this season. ;P

ice coverage

Record Breaker

As usual, I agree with everything that the wise Mrs. P has said.

I think that her suggestion to keep an eye out for Jason in the stands when other disciplines are competing is a very good one.

And re hanging out at Jason's hotel (where you are not an overnight guest), I don't know about other countries such as France, but if you were in the U.S. instead:
As long as I had bought a cup of coffee in the hotel cafe, or a beverage (even just mineral water, for example) at the hotel bar, or a newspaper/postcard/candy bar/whatever at the hotel newsstand -- you get the idea ;) -- I definitely would not feel like a trespasser.
Although a modest purchase along those lines might not be "necessary," it would not hurt, IMHO -- and might give yourself reassurance that your presence is absolutely legitimate :yes:.​