Ice Dance FD - Cup of China 2013 | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Ice Dance FD - Cup of China 2013

sweetskates1

Medalist
I believe that D/W are absolutely, positively superior in every way to all the teams that have skated in the GP this season, it would be a travesty for them not to be crowned OGM.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
Just one thing about B/S costumes: :bang::bang::bang:
Last year I thought "finally, they have some good costumes": it didn't take them a lot of time to prove me wrong :slink:

FSGMT

Record Breaker
I checked back and they did get a 10 in Choreo & one in Performance at Worlds in Nice, but it's their first 10 not on home ice I think. I'm just thrilled.
No, it isn't: WTT 2012, they received a 10 for IN there...

I believe that D/W are absolutely, positively superior in every way to all the teams that have skated in the GP this season, it would be a travesty for them not to be crowned OGM.

Still, you don't win the Olympic gold medal in the Grand Prix. They still have to show up at Sochi and do it all over again. ;)

ice coverage

Record Breaker

What would be travesties are disregarding the SD and FD performances in Sochi of any ice dancers -- and basing the Olympic placements on skates other than on those two days in February.
I believe that Davis/White would feel the same.

Turbo-Mom

On the Ice
It would be deeply appreciated if anyone could please add a Russian Version of Free Dance for Aldridge & Eaton
Thank You

bramweld

Record Breaker
Just one thing about B/S costumes: :bang::bang::bang:
Last year I thought "finally, they have some good costumes": it didn't take them a lot of time to prove me wrong :slink:

Bobrova was :mad: I hope they change those costumes by COR!!

Mao88

Record Breaker
FREE DANCE - RESULT & VIDEOS (Updated)

1. Nathalie PECHALAT / Fabian BOURZAT (FRA) - 165.68 Free Dance, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy, 4th Copy
2. Ekaterina BOBROVA / Dmitri SOLOVIEV (RUS) - 163.42 Free Dance, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy, 4th Copy
3. Madison CHOCK / Evan BATES (USA) - 150.53 Free Dance, 2nd Copy
4. Pernelle CARRON / Lloyd JONES (FRA) - 134.12 Free Dance, 2nd Copy
5. Alexandra ALDRIDGE / Daniel EATON (USA) - 132.06 Free Dance, 2nd Copy
6. Xiaoyang YU / Chen WANG (CHN) - 106.18 Free Dance
7. Yiyi ZHANG / Nan WU (CHN) - 104.98 Free Dance

Medal Ceremony

sweetskates1

Medalist
Absolutely - however - their programs are amazing in every regard and their execution will get greater and greater and greater. They should win.

What would be travesties are disregarding the SD and FD performances in Sochi of any ice dancers -- and basing the Olympic placements on skates other than on those two days in February.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Still, you don't win the Olympic gold medal in the Grand Prix. They still have to show up at Sochi and do it all over again. ;)

Absolutely true

Even more true. And I do bet D&W feel the same.

Absolutely - however - their programs are amazing in every regard and their execution will get greater and greater and greater.

:) Every skater should have such loyal fans. :thumbsup:

Me, I'm tired of the same old awesome perfection from the top two teams. I am going to root for Cappellini and Lanotte. :yes:.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Absolutely - however - their programs are amazing in every regard and their execution will get greater and greater and greater. They should win.

I am a McKayla Maroney fan. As the London Olympics approached, I hoped and believed that she would win the gold medal for vault.
Lo and behold, Maroney's performance on the day of the event did not deserve the gold.
Maroney was not -- and should not have been -- "crowned" (to use your word, sweetskates) with the Olympic gold.

I am no gymnastics expert, but I would add that my understanding is that Maroney's pre-London dominance in vault was universally recognized -- unlike the relative position of Davis/White, which is the subject of vigorous debate (no matter how strong your individual opinion happens to be).

I am not wishing for anyone to underperform in Sochi. Just sayin' that everyone will be skating under the pressure of the Olympics, on slippery ice, etc.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Every skater should have such loyal fans. :thumbsup:

Me, I'm tired of the same old awesome perfection from the top two teams. I am going to root for Cappellini and Lanotte. :yes:.

I feel you MM. I appreciate both teams, but I find myself cheering for other teams. Even though most write them off, the Shibsibs can count on me to be in their fan stable. :yes: Also love Kriengkrairut/Giulietti-Schmitt.

Outside the U.S. I like Cappellini/Lanotte and Weaver/Poje. Mr. P loves W/P and always requests that I put the "I am sick" FD on YouTube. In fact, I have W/P to thank for my husband coming to appreciate Ice Dance. He's actually excited to see Ice Dance the most out of disciplines when we go to Nationals in a few months!

Looking forward to watching the rest of the FD here. Had a 5k this morning so went to bed early.

ETA: Just watched the top 3 FD.

P/B: :love: That was so lovely. I was captivated for four minutes. This program brings the best of their whimsical style. I really did not care for the Rolling Stones FD last season, so I was very pleasantly surprised how much I enjoyed this FD. I think it's their best FD since they did Chaplin in 2011. (The Mummy was OK, and I know they won bronze with it, but still liked Chaplin better). Among the bronze medal contenders, this FD, along with W/P's is tops.

B/S: Oh my. Just when they gained all my respect last season, they had to turn in this FD. I saw it in Ice Star Minsk and it seemed OK, but after viewing it a second time, I can confirm I don't care for it. I'm sure it will improve as the season goes, but all I could think of was this was Faust 2.0: Dark minor key, black costumes. And Bobrova's posture is all slouchy again! Zhulin, WTH?!

C/B: Much better than Finlandia. I really enjoyed it! Very sharp. Still don't like the music cuts, but it was not as distracting to me as Finlandia. And that opening lift :love: Madison was so captivating that I didn't think too much about the fact that the pink dress still doesn't make much sense for a Les Miserables program. I do think it's still a bit frantic in places, but otherwise, they should be happy with their performance here.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
B/S look like a pair of bats looking frantically for a place to spend the winter.

They might be frantically looking for a top 6 placement in Sochi with this mess.....

sweetskates1

Medalist
I am glad you think so too - they are so unattractive - their expressions, style and skating - very unappealing and strange. In the SD they look discombobulated and sloppy. In the FD they are just plain 'off' but their program seems difficult enough to warrant good scores.

B/S look like a pair of bats looking frantically for a place to spend the winter.

They might be frantically looking for a top 6 placement in Sochi with this mess.....

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
I feel you MM. I appreciate both teams, but I find myself cheering for other teams. Even though most write them off, the Shibsibs can count on me to be in their fan stable. :yes: Also love Kriengkrairut/Giulietti-Schmitt.

Outside the U.S. I like Cappellini/Lanotte and Weaver/Poje. Mr. P loves W/P and always requests that I put the "I am sick" FD on YouTube. In fact, I have W/P to thank for my husband coming to appreciate Ice Dance. He's actually excited to see Ice Dance the most out of disciplines when we go to Nationals in a few months!

Looking forward to watching the rest of the FD here. Had a 5k this morning so went to bed early.

ETA: Just watched the top 3 FD.

P/B: :love: That was so lovely. I was captivated for four minutes. This program brings the best of their whimsical style. I really did not care for the Rolling Stones FD last season, so I was very pleasantly surprised how much I enjoyed this FD. I think it's their best FD since they did Chaplin in 2011. (The Mummy was OK, and I know they won bronze with it, but still liked Chaplin better). Among the bronze medal contenders, this FD, along with W/P's is tops.

B/S: Oh my. Just when they gained all my respect last season, they had to turn in this FD. I saw it in Ice Star Minsk and it seemed OK, but after viewing it a second time, I can confirm I don't care for it. I'm sure it will improve as the season goes, but all I could think of was this was Faust 2.0: Dark minor key, black costumes. And Bobrova's posture is all slouchy again! Zhulin, WTH?!

C/B: Much better than Finlandia. I really enjoyed it! Very sharp. Still don't like the music cuts, but it was not as distracting to me as Finlandia. And that opening lift :love: Madison was so captivating that I didn't think too much about the fact that the pink dress still doesn't make much sense for a Les Miserables program. I do think it's still a bit frantic in places, but otherwise, they should be happy with their performance here.

Yeah, I think C/B were much better here than at Finlandia (removing his jacket helped, but I think her skirt is a distraction in the lifts--Evan looked like he was about to swallow it at some points!). That said, I have a few caveats: the lifts with the exception of the first one looked labored, it is a bit frantic (but then I always thought Marlie's Phantom was a bit frantic), and frankly I think it is totally the wrong music for them. Zhivago had uberdrama, yes, but there was a softness, a romanticism to it that allowed the two of them to make a real connection during the program, and I think that's completely lost here. I think they should think theatrical, yes, but something without the bombast would work better for them.

And yes, Mrs P, I completely agree with you about B/S. I loved 3/4 of last year's program (the Tosca portion was just the very definition of much too much of muchness), but this program is like the Tosca portion having a panic attack. The choreography is atrocious. When you start a program on a crescendo like they do (with mega uber traumadrama facial expressions to boot), there is only one way for the rest of the program to go and it does: it winds down, down, down then peters out. And I thought the same thing you did: I wanted to tie a stick to Bobrova's back so she would stop hunching over. Probably the biggest disappointment of all the couples I've seen so far this year.

I've never been a big fan of P/B--I for one thought their Chaplin program was maudlin treacle and the less said about Rolling Stones Muzaktica the better--but yes, I thought this was charming. And the French can be so good at charm, can't they? That first lift was spectacular. The program as a whole is a little too "open" and can use more crispness and speed but I do think from what I've seen so far the bronze battle will be between them, C/L, and W/P.