Pairs FS - Cup of China 2013 | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Pairs FS - Cup of China 2013

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I know everyone disagrees with my position but I will stick with it Ssquared's fp to the Nutcracker is an absolute farce. they have NO connection to the music. It doesn't suit them. They are skating through the music as though it is was there - sure they got a few highlights but really disappointed. it showed their lack of lines. It really doesn't seem to suit them - they could be wearing anything - and the colors weren't so hot either especially on Robin. Compared to V/T I would have V/T ten marks over in pcs. I know it is early in the season but this is NOT squared it is like putting leather and studs on a classically trained ballerina it is incogruent, this is the worst program I have seen from squared ever and not worhty of OGM but I fear they may get it on the ride of the triple axel at the end. I know they want OGM but I really hope they don't get it with this programme. I wish the judges would mark the technically high but sewer this team - the judges won't but I would have this behind pc wise P and T, the italians, the top two Canadians and several russian pairs. it won't happen but I strongly do not htink this programme is Oly Gold worthy and a terrible fit for squared. Very shockingly disappointed

koatcue

Medalist
Country
Russia
I wish SS just stopped doing their 3a. It's just a big No for them. I mean they won't get high score for it if not clean, and to make it clean is...a challenge. They have a huge 3f, so they should stuck to it. The 2d throw should be easier for them to execute it perfectly.

anotherday

Spectator
I actually applaude them for giving it a go with the 3a. Do not forget it is just the beginning of the season. And also which alternative do S/S have with the gifted PCS gap of about 10 points to V/T?? At least they are not giving up aiming for Sochi gold in settling for anything else. At the same time they are pushing pair skating further. I am simply bored with the repetitive, safe layout of V/T's free skate (loop and salchow throw...).

Koatcue I agree with you that the 3a is a huge risk. In my opinion it is about time that the base value gets adjusted to reflect the much higher difficulty to the 3fl or 3l throws.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
I really like the Nutcracker program. Definitely more than JCS. A great combi would be V/T SP and S/S LP. Would be great if S/S win the long at Olympics and V/T the short.

lcd

Match Penalty
Oh and SUCH admiration and respect for Pang & Tong. Short program was a pleasure to watch them skate clean

Kunstrijdster

Rinkside
[...] this is the worst program I have seen from squared ever and not worhty of OGM but I fear they may get it on the ride of the triple axel at the end. [...]

Please, if there is one thing you need not be worried about, it's S/S getting any kind of OGM in Sochi.

Nutcracker is not an uber-programme but it's not terrible either. Definitely not worse than JCS.

Also: It's hip to be square[d]

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
You do wonder about tong's health; his jumps especially is where it shows. but it is early. I think Ssquared really could wion the OGM with the 3A at the end -you cn see the audience and judges getting carried away with it; i wonder though if there is a bad fall (they almost landed it here) will they bedecducted because of the aftertaste. Afterall there should be a price to pay too on the other side if there is such a high reward and the axel is worth a lot. I honestly think they will land it; they have been so close.

3T3T

Final Flight
Country
Ireland
I think S/S have their work cut out to win OGM, even if the Th3A is landed at the end, the rest of the elements that they do are not a match for V/T. I don't like JCS but it was very impressvie in SA. If P/T pull of this programme at the Olympics I could see them scoring very highly, they always seem to deliver in Olympic seasons, his jumps are an issue.

My favourite performance was the Wangs, it was real joy to watch, they are definitely a couple to watch, the Chinese future looks bright, it's funny what can change in 12mths. I enjoyed M/R's performance, the bothced lift looked a bit scary, she could have fell on the ice face first. The atmosphere in the K&C was a little frosty, I still think they are being judged harshly on the PCS side.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I think Pang and Tong's freeskate reminds me of their last Olympic program oddly enough something about the music. I do find it inspiring but their skating isn't as magical as it was in Vancouver - still there is time. I do wonder about tong's health/injuries and are we simply hoping on the day of he actually is able to land the jumps. I hate seeing teams decline but we all in life I guess decline as we get older so to speak. Maybe they still have some great skates in them.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
I like Pang/Tong's program more than their Vancouver program. It's probably the best pairs program of the year.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I actually applaude them for giving it a go with the 3a. Do not forget it is just the beginning of the season. And also which alternative do S/S have with the gifted PCS gap of about 10 points to V/T?? At least they are not giving up aiming for Sochi gold in settling for anything else. At the same time they are pushing pair skating further. I am simply bored with the repetitive, safe layout of V/T's free skate (loop and salchow throw...).

Koatcue I agree with you that the 3a is a huge risk. In my opinion it is about time that the base value gets adjusted to reflect the much higher difficulty to the 3fl or 3l throws.

If S&S hit that gorgeous spread eagle into sbs double axels, the whole program will just pop a lot more. That's a great highlight, at a great part in the music and having it fizzle affects the feel you get watching the whole program. If they ever hit that 3Ath at the end, it will be an amazing finish.

That said, the marks for 3Ath & 4Sth completely do not reflect the difficulty of the element, compared to the 3F/3Lz throw.

emma

Record Breaker
If S&S hit that gorgeous spread eagle into sbs double axels, the whole program will just pop a lot more. That's a great highlight, at a great part in the music and having it fizzle affects the feel you get watching the whole program. If they ever hit that 3Ath at the end, it will be an amazing finish.

That said, the marks for 3Ath & 4Sth completely do not reflect the difficulty of the element, compared to the 3F/3Lz throw.

I agree about the spread eagle...I didn't realize that about the marks, so thanks for mentioning that!

I have to say, I so admire this team - true grit. They just push and push, really remarkable. I am so impressed with Pang and Tong - yes there were issues, but my goodness, they managed to give me some chills. It was nice to see Zhao in the KnC, I only wish Shen was there too - does she coach also?

icekiwi

On the Ice
I agree with 3T3T. S/S really have their work cut out for them if they want to win Gold. Technical elements alone - V/T's throws have height, distance & flow; side by side jumps are always secure, lifts are superior. Everything they do is sharp, crisp, spot-on and bigger. Their presentation has also improved dramatically. Maxim has a bit of humour in him, he seems to enjoy playing a character. Masquerade Waltz is well-choreographed - matching costumes and all. That is the SP to beat. S/S's Short Program was lifeless.

I can also see Pang/Tong scoring high if they hit all their technical elements. Their 'Lady Caliph' program gives me chills- so much passion & love (of course they are engaged, that makes a lot of difference). S/S can even be in trouble trying to secure a Silver if other teams are spot-on with their elements.