Ladies FS - Cup of China 2013 | Page 11 | Golden Skate

Ladies FS - Cup of China 2013

sk8ingcoach

On the Ice
Carolina was clearly not as prepared as she had hoped. She did look shaky, but it is early. Se has time to develop the programs, and her jumps. I wouldn't count her out straight away like most seem to be doing. Definitely some silly mistakes on elements that were unnecessary. Im sure he will here the criticism of her performance and she will be working hard to improve.

Positives is that she is still trying the lutz and 3f-3t. Programs have potential but will need to develop if they want to be as good as the last 2 seasons programs. Im sure Lori will be watching all of her performances and will make changes or adjustments. Lets hope she is better in Rostelecom so that she can be fully prepared by GPF.

Sara

On the Ice
You think Kostner's costume was hideous, why don't you take a look at Adelina's inappropriate costume :disapp:

Well, Adelina seems to love this kind of see through dresses, as do many other Russian female skaters. I didn't like her dress really, it looked a bit as if she had only her underwear under the black lace fabric. Caro's dress wasn't any better. I think the best dress award of today goes to Cheng Peng!

thinspread

On the Ice
I wouldn't be too worried yet at this point in the season. If you recall the 2009 Grand Prix prior to the 2010 Olympics, we saw some pretty forgettable skates from all of Kim, Asada, and Rochette, particularly Mao and Joannie. No one was really dominating the Grand Prix Series that year and putting down consistent 6 or 7 triple skates. We certainly didn't see a skate like Julia Lipnitskaia delivered in Canada.... Yu-Na Kim ended up winning the Grand Prix Final with only 4 clean triples in her LP. Not really stellar skating from the Olympic medalists that Grand Prix Season at all. There is still a lot of time for these skaters to clean up their acts before the big events.

Kim established herself as a frontrunner for OGM at her first GP in Vancouver Olympic season, breaking her own LP and total score records, even with skipping a flip in her FS. From then on nobody doubted she was entering the Oly as the heavy favorite. The GPF in Tokyo Japan that saw Kim marked for an UR call on the second leg of her 3-3 in LP was the only time any of her executed triple marked for UR in her entire career.

2008-2009 season was quite the same. Her SP at SA set the tone for the entire season leading up to 2009 WC Ladies competition, which was basically a confirmation event for her dominance where she broke again her own SP and total score records, breaking 200 pts for the first time under IJS.

Can you still say nobody was dominating in those years?

BTW, it looks like the Sochi podium is quite a challenge for Kostner now. It's not a surprise. I liked Kostner a lot, but she has been held up and saved by the PCS for a long time now, and I'm getting tired of it. Worse, she is now more conservative and cautious, and slower than ever with those telegraphed jumps, with the transitions in and out of her jumps virtually missing. Her stengths, mainly the speed and edge work, are visible only in sporadic moments in her program, as if inserted there for the sake of showing off, and failing to contibute to a coherent whole.

Reality check, please.

cosmos

On the Ice
Yeah, but she was beaten by Rachael Flatt in the LP at Skate America when she fell multiple times and like I said, she won the GP Final with only 4 triples and she lost the GPF SP to Miki Ando. What I was implying was that the Olympic medalists in Vancouver were not without flaws in the GP series.

At the GPF, her skate blade was damaged. That was why.

chloepoco

Medalist
I really liked how the judges were so fair at this event compared to the two previous ones. I also like that Anna did so well, but if she makes it to the final, I feel like she is going to the final 50% because of her good showing here but also 50% because of her luck in being placed at such a weak event....

How were the judges unfair in the previous two events?

Sara

On the Ice
Even though it is early season and all skaters have still plenty of time to improve, out of all top skaters I'm most worried for Carolina. It was not only her jumps that were lost during this weekend but everything else too (and most importantly her confidence) ! Her FS PCS was 5 points lower than in Worlds.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I wonder if this was the weakest GP event this season? Gracie would have won easily with her 3rd place score at SC.

thinspread

On the Ice
I wonder if this was the weakest GP event this season? Gracie would have won easily with her 3rd place score at SC.

It sure was. But the judging was better here than at SA or SC, where I think the scores were quite inflated.

Thanks for joining us, Kirk. Welcome! Coyote Chris and I say, that's what we need around here -- more Spokanites. :yes:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Well, Adelina seems to love this kind of see through dresses, as do many other Russian female skaters. I didn't like her dress really, it looked a bit as if she had only her underwear under the black lace fabric. Caro's dress wasn't any better. I think the best dress award of today goes to Cheng Peng!

Great, I actually agree but we probably won't see Peng at the olympics.

sweetskates1

Medalist
This may sound harsh and premature but I believe that Carolina Kostner is out of contention for an Olympic medal this season.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
Given how undertrained Caro is, I think that this was not an excellent skate, but not really a bad one, too: she landed the flip and she's still attempting 7 triples... The program doesn't convince me as much as her SP, but probably it's because of the mistakes, too
To all those people who kept saying that Adelina can't rotate the 3T in combo: look at that 2A+3T ;)
:clap: to Pogorilaya, she deserved this medal and it is a great thing to see a skater that one year ago was almost unknown winning an important title!

EricRohmer

On the Ice
I think Caro & D10's results at COC will mean very little in the big scheme of things. Both are inconsistent skaters and not early-strong skaters and most of all seem to have been in non-good conditions.

mateusp1

On the Ice
I think it is still very early to be so harsh. Caro's programs look clearly unfinished and not ready.

Kim established herself as a frontrunner for OGM at her first GP in Vancouver Olympic season, breaking her own LP and total score records, even with skipping a flip in her FS. From then on nobody doubted she was entering the Oly as the heavy favorite. The GPF in Tokyo Japan that saw Kim marked for an UR call on the second leg of her 3-3 in LP was the only time any of her executed triple marked for UR in her entire career.

2008-2009 season was quite the same. Her SP at SA set the tone for the entire season leading up to 2009 WC Ladies competition, which was basically a confirmation event for her dominance where she broke again her own SP and total score records, breaking 200 pts for the first time under IJS.

Can you still say nobody was dominating in those years?

BTW, it looks like the Sochi podium is quite a challenge for Kostner now. It's not a surprise. I liked Kostner a lot, but she has been held up and saved by the PCS for a long time now, and I'm getting tired of it. Worse, she is now more conservative and cautious, and slower than ever with those telegraphed jumps, with the transitions in and out of her jumps virtually missing. Her stengths, mainly the speed and edge work, are visible only in sporadic moments in her program, as if inserted there for the sake of showing off, and failing to contibute to a coherent whole.

Reality check, please.
Not so much.
2008 coc 3 lutz< in SP
2009 4cc 3lutz<-2t-2lo in LP
2009 GPF 3lz-3t< in SP(although this one was really dubious.) 2a-3t< in LP (two-footed, actually the only two-footed jump Yuna has ever done)
2010 wc 3 flip< in SP

Mao88

Record Breaker
LADIES FREE SKATE - RESULT & VIDEOS (Updated)

1. Anna POGORILAYA (RUS) - 178.62 Free Skate, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy, 4th Copy
2. Adelina SOTNIKOVA (RUS) - 174.70 Free Skate, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy, 4th Copy
3. Carolina KOSTNER (ITA) - 173.40 Free Skate, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy, 4th Copy
4. Kanako MURAKAMI (JPN) - 165.95 Free Skate, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy
5. Nikol GOSVIANI (RUS) - 152.04 Free Skate, 2nd Copy
6. Haruka IMAI (JPN) - 150.30 Free Skate, 2nd Copy
7. Agnes ZAWADZKI (USA) - 147.64 Free Skate, 2nd Copy
8. Kexin ZHANG (CHN) - 144.88 Free Skate, 2nd Copy
9. Xiaowen GUO (CHN) - 139.50 Free Skate, 2nd Copy
10. Zijun LI (CHN) - 138.98 Free Skate, 2nd Copy

Medal Ceremony

Selene

On the Ice
What an awful event. I'm glad I didn't wake up early to watch it live, and just watched the highlights.

What a waste of time that was. Every skater was awful except Pogorilaya.

Kostner's programs are so disappointing after her great programs of the last two seasons, and her jump consistency is as bad as ever.

Sotnikova still can't get through a long program, with her awful jump technique. And her lingerie dress is so inappropriate, especially her age.

And Zijun Li is a warning sign about hyping prepubescent girls. She can barely jump now that she has grown, and her presentation of her programs was awful. The music was overwhelming her as she just went through the motions. She was deservingly last, even in this awful field.

elif

Medalist

Reality check, please.

Last three year judges awarded big scores to Kostner. I still can't believe CoC judges didn't give her +70 PCS and let her win. :eek: I remember Aliona/Robin always falling, making some other mistake and still win world titles. And at the olympic year suddenly judges didn't forgive mistakes anymore. Maybe same thing happening with Kostner.