Carolina Kostner 2013-14 season | Golden Skate

Carolina Kostner 2013-14 season

kikakiks

On the Ice
Hi everybody,
Considering the poor showing of Carolina Kostner at Cup of china this weekend, I wanted to hear some thoughts on her new programs, what are her chances and how she could improve during the rest of the season.

I have read some comments that she should go back to her previous 2012-13 programs...do you think it would be the right strategy or she should concentrate on improving what she has on her hands now?

My personal opinion is that the poor technical showing has made the programs even less appealing, but that overall it almost seems like she reserved the less suitable programs to her for the olympic season:confused:
Almost as if Lori Nichol did not put the same amount of thought into choosing the music...and it seems very strange.

Do you think her team has realized the weakness of the programs? Oris it just everybody's impression because she was not skating clean?

Should she compete at some B competitions to gain some experience?

No bashing necessary:)

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
She isn't a great early season skater. But she is also getting older so it wouldn't surprise me if she is unable to reach her peak form at all this season. Her programs this season are fine to me, but I have never considered any of her programs masterpieces. If she doesn't win a medal it won't be because her programs aren't good enough, but rather because she will have made too many errors.

Icey

Record Breaker
Technically, her age has caught up with her WHEN she is on the competitive ice. And seeing what she has to contend with with skaters 10 years younger than she is must be daunting. Her coach's explanation for her showing in the short was strange considering how long she has been around. She was lucky to make the podium at COC, but I guess, for whatever reasons, the judges will continue to use the second mark to keep her there.

Krislite

Medalist
Her costume is worse than her program, and that's saying something. But she'll probably change it and I'm sure Lori will tweak her LP.

Sara

On the Ice
I read somewhere that she had a minor injury early this season. I was hoping to see interesting programmes from her but I think both the short and free are pretty disappointing. What was Lori thinking when she created these programmes... The costumes were quite awful too (luckily she is going to change her FS dress). I like Caro a lot, I hope she gets her confidence back and skates well in Sochi.

gourry

Final Flight
I have no info about her physical condition, but she looked slow. Both in SP and LP. The programs didn't really accentuate her skating either. Without speed and edge work which are her forte, it's just....
I loved her SP costume but hated her LP costume.
Both of her programs were a bit of disappointment for me. I expected her SP would be similar to her Canon which I really liked, but it is not.
My main problem with Caro is that often times her expression feels too one dimensional(I don't think this is the right word but English is not my mother tongue and I can't think of better word right now). For example, last year's SP's 'OMG is that blood in my hand?!(or was it *** has happened with my fingers?!)' look didn't really appeal to me. And this year's SP, is she channeling to Disney princess who is the friend of insects and animals? Her 'Birdy, birdy, where are you?! Oh there you are!' mime also..... felt a little childish to me.
Her LP is not bad, but definitely it's not gonna be her signature piece or signature Sheherazade either.
I think she'd better get back to last year's programs. At least I found her very attractive in Bolero.

kikakiks

On the Ice
I have no info about her physical condition, but she looked slow. Both in SP and LP. The programs didn't really accentuate her skating either. Without speed and edge work which are her forte, it's just....
I loved her SP costume but hated her LP costume.
Both of her programs were a bit of disappointment for me. I expected her SP would be similar to her Canon which I really liked, but it is not.
My main problem with Caro is that often times her expression feels too one dimensional(I don't think this is the right word but English is not my mother tongue and I can't think of better word right now). For example, last year's SP's 'OMG is that blood in my hand?!(or was it *** has happened with my fingers?!)' look didn't really appeal to me. And this year's SP, is she channeling to Disney princess who is the friend of insects and animals? Her 'Birdy, birdy, where are you?! Oh there you are!' mime also..... felt a little childish to me.
Her LP is not bad, but definitely it's not gonna be her signature piece or signature Sheherazade either.
I think she'd better get back to last year's programs. At least I found her very attractive in Bolero.

That's exactly what I meant!
I can understand Carolina might not be everyone's cup of tea, but at least the past 2 seasons programs were memorable both in terms of music choice built on her strenghts and also on choreography! I feel like these will be her least remembered programs in the years to come...
If I were her I would want to finish with a bang!

I agree with you that Canon is "pure carolina" - and I would put Mozart's lp from her winning worlds on the same page.

Should she go back to last season's programs? Do you think Carolina and her team are not aware of this faux pas?

jiggs

On the Ice
I feel like we have been spoiled in a way by Carolina's programs the past 3 seasons. Expectations are so high on her to come up with something even more special ...
But I agree this year's programs are kind of meh. The short is nice, but just a little too sraight and safe for me. If there is a skater who can pull of something edgy and different, it's her. I feel like having a SP like Shostakovich for the Olympics would actually benefit her and set her apart. That being said, the SP is still beautiful and nice and will probably do its job if she skates it well.

I am torn about the long program. Caro was clearly not in shape for this competition, her injury must be worse than admitted and she wasn't fully prepared. Also, this is not her costume (she admitted it wasnt ready) and it looked akward on her. I am going to reserve judgement until I see the program again but she seemed reserved and was holding back.

What I am most worried about is that I haven't seen Caro skate this unconfidently in a while (and with this I mean 2-3 seasons). She seemed so unsure of herself! This is definitely not the Caro we saw the past 3 years. I just hope she can find her confidence and skate with joy and pride at the Olympics. This showing was not comparable at all to let's say her Bolero at Worlds :(

On the other hand, I remember she started her last season exactly the same way: Relatively poor showing at Golden Spin in Zagreb, 110 points in the free, everyone writing her off and not liking her Bolero. And she totally managed to turn that impression around within a few weeks ...

If she decides to go back to her old programs, I would be more than fine with it. I love all of her past 3 FPs and it would be hard for me to choose a favourite there. As for the SP, it's between Shostakovich and Devil's Trill for me.

Forza Caro! Hope you can skate injury and painfree soon!!!

thinspread

On the Ice
In recent years she made compromise with her speed, transitions and technical difficulties, in exchange for consistency. It worked for her in the past two seasons, and I was happy for her. What I don't want to see though, is her being held up in the second mark at the expense of placement of other skaters. As long as that's not happening, I will be rooting for her. If her skating is conservative, cautious, without strong technical merits or transitions, and if her strength in speed and edge control do not translate into coherent composition and execution of a program, these should be reflected on all parts of the second mark score.

Her programs, for me the LP was OK, and I think they can make it better. About SP, I think it's not an Olympic podium worthy program for a senior lady.

I hope it doesn't count as bashing.

msadot

On the Ice
She earned 21 medals in a row. In my book, it's an amazing result! Also, she herself said often she does not skate at her best at the beginning of the season. And, IMO, "humoresque" completely caught her essence: a butterfly.

prettykeys

Medalist
Hi everybody,
Considering the poor showing of Carolina Kostner at Cup of china this weekend, I wanted to hear some thoughts on her new programs, what are her chances and how she could improve during the rest of the season.

I have read some comments that she should go back to her previous 2012-13 programs...do you think it would be the right strategy or she should concentrate on improving what she has on her hands now?

My personal opinion is that the poor technical showing has made the programs even less appealing, but that overall it almost seems like she reserved the less suitable programs to her for the olympic season:confused:
Almost as if Lori Nichol did not put the same amount of thought into choosing the music...and it seems very strange.
No bashing from me...love the skater and love her seemingly gentle soul.

These are my impressions from Cup of China:
http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/sh...-of-China-2013&p=783673&viewfull=1#post783673

I prefer when skaters try to come up with new programs because it's just more interesting and exciting. I admit that her SP is a let-down compared to some of her past works, but I hope she works with Lori to continue tweaking and improving it rather than going back to some previous programs.

I agree with you that her poor technical showing at this particular competition contributed to the lackluster reception. I think the LP has more potential and will be better-appreciated if skated cleaner (and with a new costume that shows off her lean, beautiful physique instead of covering it up with frump...the black Bolero costume did just that!) :biggrin:

msadot

On the Ice
No bashing from me...love the skater and love her seemingly gentle soul.

These are my impressions from Cup of China:
http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/sh...-of-China-2013&p=783673&viewfull=1#post783673

I prefer when skaters try to come up with new programs because it's just more interesting and exciting. I admit that her SP is a let-down compared to some of her past works, but I hope she works with Lori to continue tweaking and improving it rather than going back to some previous programs.

I agree with you that her poor technical showing at this particular competition contributed to the lackluster reception. I think the LP has more potential and will be better-appreciated if skated cleaner (and with a new costume that shows off her lean, beautiful physique instead of covering it up with frump...the black Bolero costume did just that!) :biggrin:

I remember last year Lori went to Ob for three days before worlds. STILL, she did not changed the program completely; they worked on details.

MiRé

Match Penalty
I expected more from Carolina, seeing what she has produced at 2013 Worlds.. but seeing her at CoC.....she first needs to change her costume.

guanchi

On the Ice
Her LP was pretty enjoyable, if a bit generic.
But she will probably need a hard 3-3 (flip or lutz) combo and better consistency on those 3's to medal if the other top girls are near clean.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
I LOVE HER but am disappointed. The sp costume is different. something maybe better for Mao who is a butterfly. I hope she gets it together, she is so amazing when on.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Beautiful skater, but these programs aren't making me excited. Although Bolero grew on me last year. Unfortunately her jumping errors are marring them further. She has a ton of work to do. Sochi is about clean skates which does not bode well for her. I can't imagine her skating like at CoC and being anywhere near the top 5 (or I should hope not, with two triple FS). I do think she has the ability to pull out the stops but gold and silver appears to be Yu Na and Mao at this point and bronze might be wide open given how Gold and Wagner have upped their game.

hurrah

Medalist
I have a feeling the programs that Lori Nichols gave to Carolina this year are about how she envisions figure skating should be, and they are probably far more difficult to execute than they actually look.

Peach

Rinkside
Her programs are nowhere near good as her last year programs. Her costumes are not that appealing. She's an overrated skater and people only pay attention to her because she's a world champion (which she won when the season was completely dead and there was virtually no serious competition). I wouldn't be surprised at all if she doesn't make the podium at Sochi.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
Maybe she should go back to Bolero for the LP, but I don't think the SP was bad. I think the LP could even be good, with a different costume. Like I saw another poster saying in another thread, the costume didn't really go with the program.

lcd

Match Penalty
That final triple salchow in the closing moments of her program :eek:
Again!?