Yuna Kim to Compete at Golden Spin of Zagreb, Croatia, Dec 5-8 | Page 14 | Golden Skate

Yuna Kim to Compete at Golden Spin of Zagreb, Croatia, Dec 5-8

Robeye

Final Flight
When I said Yuna seems a little "off" I was not referring to the fall on the jump. That was just careless, perhaps it could be the result of her attention and focus not being 100%, but it wasn't the reason why I felt the program wasn't its full potential yet. I think Yuna just did not express the music as powerful as she is capable. Her performance was actually good, but I know she is capable of a performance much greater that no one else can equal. It's a high standard and she can do better. In fact I am sure she will by the Olympics, but since it's not that time yet, I still worry. :p

Whoever said the other ladies have better SP this year, I respectfully disagree. I absolutely love Yuna's and the further potential that is there.
Well said, Ven. :)

yyyskate

Record Breaker
Well you made it sound like more than it was. But like I said if you consider one 3-turn "step" then she did "steps" immediately preceding the jump. Apparently one judge didn't agree with you.
I suggest you consult some expert, for example: a skater or a coach regarding this issue. before make more comments.

MiRé

Match Penalty
in the most positive sense possible, i'm kind of 'glad' that Yuna stepped out of the 2A in Zagreb. that's solely because i'm afraid that if she did all perfect programs leading up to the Olympics, the expectations for her would soar and add unnecessary pressure for her. also, she was clearly upset in the interviews following the SP and i think that making the mistake will bring more grit and determination to Yuna for future performances. plus, it's of course better to make these mistakes in B competitions earlier on in the season rather than the olympics, after all she is human :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pBZICMqB4Y

I don't know if she was upset or not, but I can tell she looks exhausted. I also cannot tell if she's holding her tears or just out of breath. But this interviewer....literally has no manner. Yeah Yuna messed up on her 2A, but he shouln't have said "why do you think you messed up." I think Yuna is pissed at the interviewer more than her mistake(if she feels that way). MBC should fire this guy :bang:

Nadia01

Final Flight

I don't know if she was upset or not, but I can tell she looks exhausted. I also cannot tell if she's holding her tears or just out of breath. But this interviewer....literally has no manner. Yeah Yuna messed up on her 2A, but he shouln't have said "why do you think you messed up." I think Yuna is pissed at the interviewer more than her mistake(if she feels that way). MBC should fire this guy :bang:

Eh. I don't think she was holding back tears or anything. She just sounded a bit out of breath. This seemed to be done right after SP anyway.

Why shouldn't he say why do you think you messed up? I mean, it's like some American reporters asking, "What do you think went wrong out there?" to some athlete after an error...? :shrug: I didn't get the feeling that she was mad, but I also agree that the interviewer didn't seem very prepared and/or knowledgeable.

aragray

Rinkside

lol yeah i think messing up on her easiest jump would be disappointing in general but now that you point it out she could just be tired too. either way you're right, i wish the mbc guy could give her more time to just relax and reflect before the LP

---sorry if this is a repost, i'm new to the forum and i'm kind of a posting-noob :slink:

jennyanydots

On the Ice
Reading this thread kind of makes me feel sorry for Yuna. Every tiny detail of her performance and demeanor is scrutinized and taken to mean this and that. It's her debut performance this season. She doesn't need to give a perfect earth shattering performance yet. The goal is to peak at the Olympics. If she appears kind of reserved and flat, well she has a job to do and a tremendous amount of pressure to do it. Regarding her dress, it was a suprise she picked that color but I like it. It has a retro vibe to it and makes me think of Peggy Fleming. That's actually a very good color for Asians because it helps neutralize the yellow skin undertone.

wordsworthgirl

Medalist
This has been such a thoughtful, eloquent, and lovely thread. and I must say, VEN, you write GORGEOUSLY! Thank you for sharing your very insightful, sensitive, compassionate, and beautiful thoughts and ideas with us!

Peach

Rinkside
Hmm.. it's better than the SP dress, but this is like a toned down version of her Danse Macabre dress... meh. She should just get a different designer and get a new wardrobe. After seeing these subpar designs, I really miss her 2009-2010 costumes.

hurrah

Medalist
Neither of Yuna's dresses this season are great. Her FP dress is a poorer version of Carolina's black number last season, or her own Dance Macabre dress. Her SP dress makes her look ill, IMO. What happened??

Ven

Match Penalty
This has been such a thoughtful, eloquent, and lovely thread. and I must say, VEN, you write GORGEOUSLY! Thank you for sharing your very insightful, sensitive, compassionate, and beautiful thoughts and ideas with us!

Thank you for that kind sentiment, wordsworthgirl. Since I'm an aspiring writer, your words mean a lot to me. Thank you. :)

Seeing as I'm having a drink tonight and the "Send in the Clowns" music has me emotional, I feel like telling a quick story. Besides my job as a professional poker player, I've been working on a screenplay for the last few years that I can't quite finish or get right. I think of it as my destiny, my life's work, which is a bit over the top for someone 25-30, which is the age I've been while writing it. People have entered and left my life in that time, usually parting with words like "good luck with your writing!" It's my obsession and most people know that.

What does this have to do with Yuna? She has become an inspiration for me, someone I greatly respect and admire. Not just for the immortal performances, but I often think about all the times she must have fallen at practice, or skated alone before anyone knew who she was. I can relate to a lot of her difficulties, if not her success. How it feels to want to quit and give up, for instance, when pursuing something so out of the norm. But then there is her determination and perseverance -- her excellence in the face of extreme pressure. If Yuna can do it, surely I can succeed too! And so I continue on day after day, hoping for the time when my art will be achieved. In the meantime, my livelihood is performance based, it depends on my decision making under pressure. Often times I find myself watching Yuna's famous skates as motivation before work, and I find this experience cathartic.

This morning I clicked on the video for Yuna's new short program, and I must admit I was anxious. Les Mis ... Gershwin ... Danse Macabre ... Bond ... Scheherezade. Could her program match or exceed these? What if it doesn't, could her last program we get possibly be lackluster? I was very worried. Needless to say, I think those worries are gone. Yuna's "Send in the Clowns" will be a masterpiece, possibly her best SP ever, and certainly the most meaningful. I was able to feel an immediate connection to the music and the potential of this program. Now the only thing left is for Yuna to feel it and express it herself. I suspect she would be reluctant to get too emotional for fear that might interfere with her concentration, but I also think this program is one where she must literally become the emotion -- the nostalgia -- the same way she had to become the music notes in Concerto in F.

My intuition tells me that as the final performance nears, nature will take its course and Yuna will succeed like she usually does.

Anyway, /ramblings of a madman. Need to sleep. Looking forward to seeing her LP tomorrow!

YunaBliss

On the Ice
Neither of Yuna's dresses this season are great. Her FP dress is a poorer version of Carolina's black number last season, or her own Dance Macabre dress. Her SP dress makes her look ill, IMO. What happened??

Yuna's previous designer, Josiane Lamond, is designing Mao's dress, that's what happened. ;)

But, seriously, from the initial looks of it, I love this black one. The see-through details are very intricate and sexy, and I think it will go nicely with her LP.

Peach

Rinkside

A Korean designer happened. To be honest, I didn't really like her dresses last season either. I mean they looked nice, but they were certainly not a wow factor. Also, I just noticed that the squiggly lines on the front look very similar to her Les Miserables Dress. Erm isn't that like self-plagiarism (assuming that it was the same designer)? Anyway... she should go back to her old designer that made her 2009-2010 dresses.

parma

On the Ice
Anyway... she should go back to her old designer that made her 2009-2010 dresses.

Well, you don't wanna go there. :) Unless you wish to bring up the ol' fun stories surrounding Yuna, Orser, Mao (and Yuzuru) back in the Toronto club in post-Oly 2010.

Strange enough, at least to me, I think Josiane Lamond's dresses fitted Yuna the most.

hurrah

Medalist
Well, there's no reason Mao and Yuna can't have the same designer, is there? It's not like Josiane Lamond doesn't do outfits for other skaters.