Ladies Short Program: 2013 NHK Trophy | Page 10 | Golden Skate

Ladies Short Program: 2013 NHK Trophy

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
I realize I seem to be in the minority, but I am really loving Gold's performances this year. She wasn't really on my radar as a personal favorite last year despite her explosion onto the scene, but I love her skating this year. I really enjoy the short program, it is looking better each time. Yes, I can see she is a little stiff with her upper body, but she has a real crispness and confidence to her movements that I just enjoy. She is hitting the choreo flourishes to the music well I think, she's got a bold non-typical music choice (I know most don't like it, but I do) -- I just really enjoy watching her out there. I think (well, maybe I'm just hoping, but anyway) she has a good chance to settle into competition and take it better in stride and really be a contender. But regardless, I really just enjoy watching her. She holds my attention throughout her programs.

coolboogie22

Match Penalty
When she did the 3Lo+3T, the 3Lz become her solo triple jump. As there were no preceding steps, the judges had to be harsher with GOE.

They could have been less harsh in my opinion :rolleye: because her entrance in the lutz is really difficult to do, I would have give her -1 for the jump :)

minze

Medalist
Watching Today's Skating...that Slo-mo...

I am very sure that Asada practicing two-footed Landing 3A on purpose.

Prove it. If you make such a remark you must prove it. Are there any videos of mao practicing two footed 3axels? And if she is practicing two footed axels why is she landing it in practice? You can not just go around making things up about a skater.

hurrah

Medalist
I think no elite skater would practice two-footed triple-axel jumps when they could just as well be spending the same amount of time practicing triple-axel jumps.

minze

Medalist
I think no elite skater would practice two-footed triple-axel jumps when they could just as well be spending the same amount of time practicing triple-axel jumps.

this rumor was started by someone who took Mao's interview out context and is going around saying that said she is planning on landing her axels two footed. The person even got her twitter account suspended. I am all for freedom of speech, but when try to slander a skater you must be called out on your lie. Like I said prove it:bang:

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States
Mirai's 2010 music :))) her best sp :popcorn:

It was and it's my favorite of Mirai's (and Leonova's for that matter). Mirai just never seemed to find an SP to equal or surpass it. :(

Thank you Mao88 for posting the videos! I'm off to watch them now!

At least Gracie is still very much in it. I'm interested in how a tie break works in figure skating. Way back when under 6.0 it was the technical score through the '88 Olympics then I think they went with the artistic mark in the following Games. I don't have a clue as to how it works under this COP.

hurrah

Medalist
this rumor was started by someone who took Mao's interview out context and is going around saying that said she is planning on landing her axels two footed. The person even got her twitter account suspended. I am all for freedom of speech, but when try to slander a skater you must be called out on your lie. Like I said prove it:bang:

Oh, dear. I didn't know you could get your Twitter account suspended. Anyway, Mao was landing many triple-axels in practice and had landed a beeaauutiful one during the six-minute practice. There is no reason to think that she would purposefully try to land a two-footed triple-axel.

Dots

Final Flight
Wow... Valentina should have been 2nd ( never thought I would say that) :eek:

The easiness of her jumps and maturity should have sealed the deal for her. Why in the world are a pair of sloppy skates (Radionova/Gold) ahead of her fantastic skate? Even Akiko was overmarked! I had Akiko 3rd at best. :unsure: \ Let's not even comment on Asada's embarrassing scores.

What a joke!

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
Yes! Wondering what happened with Carroll.

Probably with skaters at US Pacific Coast Sectionals. I suspect his schedule was already set in stone on this when he took on Gracie, so she was the one who needed to find a designated alternate for NHK.

Mao88

Record Breaker
LADIES SHORT PROGRAM - VIDEOS (By Starting Order) - Updated

Warm-Up Group 1

1. Satoko MIYAHARA (JPN) Short Program
2. Mirai NAGASU (USA) Short Program
3. Elena RADIONOVA (RUS) Short Program, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy
4. Elene GEDEVANISHVILI (GEO) Short Program

Warm-Up Group 2

5. Alena LEONOVA (RUS) Short Program
6. Valentina MARCHEI (ITA) Short Program
7. Gracie GOLD (USA) Short Program, 2nd Copy
8. Mao ASADA (JPN) Short Program, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy
9. Akiko SUZUKI (JPN) Short Program, 2nd Copy

RESULT

Overall Result, Segment Result, Protocols

mateusp1

On the Ice
Valentina SUPER UNDERSCORED!

I mean, the only clean skate of the event and she is 5th?

Lovely elements and artistic. Beatiful jumps, spins, choreography and transitions. She was glowing.

At Skate America, she was also clean(in the sp) and was 4th in the short component. And, in that event(Skate America), there were a lot of clean skates(Mao, Ashley and Elena).

Still do not understand how Gracie got higher PC's than Valentina.

Transitions:

Gracie 7,43
Valentina 7,18

Choreography:

Gracie 7,68
Valentina 7,61

Ok, I agree getting higher score for Skating Skills. And she got. Gracie's SS = 7,57. Valentina's SS= 7,43.

Other than that, Valentina deserved better PC's.

Ilvskating

Final Flight
Mao's SP is so exquisite! Definitely the best! the PCS should be roof high! Akiko was lovely and she should have high PCS too.

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
I haven't watched the videos yet but going by the protocols:

Good to see Mao get the 3A. She's going for it and rotating it. Eventually she'll nail it cleanly.

Good to see Akiko rewarded despite her issue on the combo. Her PCS were only about a point off of Mao's!! Bout time! Going by the PCS definitions, Akiko should always be among the top in that category given the amount of attention and dedication she gives when she's out there performing. Can't wait to watch her.

My little Elena is so gutsy! Throwing that 3T at the end of the 3L was very smart and has her right in the mix for a medal.

Gracie seemed to have some a few issues but the good news is she was able to stay on her feet and keep herself in the mix. She'll have to fight in the FS to get past Elena but at least she won't be skating with the lead this time. Maybe that will take some of the pressure off and she'll do better...

Good to see Valentina had a good showing here. I loved her SP at SA...now she just needs to hold it together in the FS.

Looks like Satoko had a strong debut. She's capable of stacking points in the FS so she might be able to move up...

Alena's POTC program made me cringe and, from reading the comments here, it seems like it may be worse than last time...

Mirai...:eek:hwell:

Elene...:no:

ciocio

On the Ice
Watching Today's Skating...that Slo-mo...

I am very sure that Asada practicing two-footed Landing 3A on purpose.

What does "on purpose" mean? That she isn't successful in practice but she still includes it in competitions?:confused: I'm asking because I simply don't get it.

100yen

You can't explain witchcraft
Medalist
What does "on purpose" mean? That she isn't successful in practice but she still includes it in competitions?:confused: I'm asking because I simply don't get it.

Certain people began a rumor about Mao purposefully practicing landing a double-foot 3A so she could get the base value anyways. It sprung from people's malice and a mistranslation of an article. Don't take them seriously at all :disapp: