Ladies Short Program: 2013 NHK Trophy | Page 13 | Golden Skate

Ladies Short Program: 2013 NHK Trophy

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
Finally finished watching the SP. As always I'll post my full account after the competition on my blog but my quick thoughts after seeing it...

Mao: Divine. Just divine. That program is so beautiful and she performed well here. She spun out of the 3A (too late on the check and the momentum carried her around) but the rotation was good. That's a win in my book. The rest of the skating was just fine and very beautiful. I really love that program. The < on the combo is just something else to work on...it was fine at SA. Eventually everything will come together but this was just lovely IMO.

Akiko: Divine. Just divine! Again, not that great with the jumps (except that 2A which was perfection with the music) but the program is all kinds of gorgeous. I'm so happy to see how close Akiko and Mao are in PCS; Mao 34+, Akiko 33+. It's about time she was given her due like the rest of the top veterans...

Elena: Like I said, she's a gutsy little fighter. I really like that program for her and she performs so well. Really great transitions throughout and excellent quick thinking to tack the 3T to that 3L.

Gracie: The music still makes me cringe but she did okay here. Obviously she could have been much better but seeing as how nearly everyone struggled a little today, she's in a great position to medal if she can hold herself together in the FS.

Valentina: So wonderful! I really love this SP for her and I'm glad she was able to have an even better showing here. Valentina knows how to cast a spell when she skates well and I really really hope she's able to bring some of that magic to the FS. I'd love to see her place top 5 here.

Satoko: I really love her program and I thought she had a very solid debut. One thing I'm noticing about Satoko that is troubling is that she pre-rotates her jumps. I noticed it on the replay; in her 3-3, she'd completed one full turn b/f her toe pick left the ice. Hopefully that's something she can work on as well as adding some height to those jumps. But overall, really nice way to debut on the senior GP.

Alena: I thoroughly hate this friggin' program. There is no skating to it. 65% of the program is campy footwork complete with *gasp!* faces, hip wiggles, pointing, winking, etc. etc. I'm sorry but that's a program she should have left back in 2011/12 where it belonged. When 14 year old newbie Elena has a more mature and complete program than the 23 year old veteran Alena, there's a serious problem IMO...

Mirai: Her warm up looked good but she did not do well. She must have been nervous which is really sad b/c this program has potential. All << and <...I pray for her for the FS. If by some miracle she can pull off a top 5 finish it'd be great.

Elene: Disappointing as usual. At least her ticket to Sochi is already stamped...

As long as Mao has a decent FS she should be fine. Akiko will need to do well to maintain her position. Elena and Gracie will have to duke it out for that bronze medal. Should be an interesting competition...

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
Congrats girls!

One thing what I don't like in Elena R. She has no neck when she is skating..sorry:slink:

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
FlattFan said:
Valentina should have the third highest PCS.

Judges need to be held accountable. I think there should be postmortem review after every single competition, pick a case like Valentina and Gracie gold, and have the judges explain what the hell are they doing giving Gracie better IN and CH than Valentina?

Agreed. Valentina doesn't have the technical difficulty, but everything she put out today had great quality, the program is good and her skating is smooth and sophisticated. Not to forget that she has something truly captivating about her, her musicality is amazing. Simply gorgeous to watch. She should be closer to Mao and Akiko and comfortably above the rest in PCS here.

If we could scrutinize the judges for something like this though, and it would result in them getting banned, we might run out of judges, as regularly as this happens :sarcasm:

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Satoko Miyahara is a beautiful skater~her skating is just gorgeous!! I especially love her spins in opposite directions.

The performance was wonderful. Her jump technique is bad, though. I thought she had fixed a lot of it, but in this performance she reverted back to the crazy pre-rotations on her jumps. Her combo really could have been called as 3Lutz<+3Toe<<.

Still, the steps and spins were technically superb. Great program, beautifully delivered. I'm actually happy she didn't get that harsh of an underrotation call (even though it was deserved), because the judges held her down a ridiculous amount on the PCS and also a bit on the scores of the non-jump elements. That combination spin she did was incredibly difficult.

I would have put her 3rd or 4th here.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Satoko had a lovely program, but that was a 3Z<+3T<. She had clearly made it beyond 1/2 a rotation on the 3T, but not 1/4 rotation. It's astounding that the technical panel missed that, as it was the more obviously UR'ed jump between the two.

I love the combo spin too! She's one of the only skaters in the world to spin in the opposite direction, and her reverse direction spin isn't just a simple camel or sit.

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
Marchei was indeed magical! Beautiful program well performed. Jason couldn't suppress his smile after she finished -- and no wonder.

At SA I tought Gracie's SP was nice despitewhat was said about it. Today I watched her feet and only... the program is empty thus her crazy waving arms are just here too hide it and pretend she's interpreting the music. She can't handle this hard piece of music yet. I don't see the suposed artistic improvements made in interpretation and choreo (the long being even worse). Her PCS are a joke.

Leonova, why dear skating gods !!! We already saw this kind of program winning the SP at worlds. Why ? Helf of it is slooooooow fotwook/posing and no transitions at all. She's jumping better though.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Satoko had a lovely program, but that was a 3Z<+3T<. She had clearly made it beyond 1/2 a rotation on the 3T, but not 1/4 rotation. It's astounding that the technical panel missed that, as it was the more obviously UR'ed jump between the two.

Look at where her toepick leaves the ice; she drags it around so far. That was a << jump.

I wonder if the tech panel meant to call the 3T as < but accidentally put it on the 3Z instead since they must have also been reviewing that jump as well (and may have given benefit of the doubt there). It wouldn't be the first time a tech panel has made that mistake.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker

Judges need to be held accountable. I think there should be postmortem review after every single competition, pick a case like Valentina and Gracie gold, and have the judges explain what the hell are they doing giving Gracie better IN and CH than Valentina?

If they don't have a good explanation, they need to be banned by a few months, repeated offense, banned for longer period of time, again, banned for life. If you can't even judge, why are you a judge? Go do something else, like knitting or fishing or something.

Hmm, who judges the judges? And what if you still don't agree with their decision?

CarneAsada

Medalist
Just finished watching everyone. Great programs from Mao, Valentina, Satoko, Akiko, and Elena. Unfortunately, I still can't stand Gracie's music.

christinaskater

Medalist
Finally finished watching the SP. As always I'll post my full account after the competition on my blog but my quick thoughts after seeing it...

Mao: Divine. Just divine. That program is so beautiful and she performed well here. She spun out of the 3A (too late on the check and the momentum carried her around) but the rotation was good. That's a win in my book. The rest of the skating was just fine and very beautiful. I really love that program. The < on the combo is just something else to work on...it was fine at SA. Eventually everything will come together but this was just lovely IMO.

Akiko: Divine. Just divine! Again, not that great with the jumps (except that 2A which was perfection with the music) but the program is all kinds of gorgeous. I'm so happy to see how close Akiko and Mao are in PCS; Mao 34+, Akiko 33+. It's about time she was given her due like the rest of the top veterans...

Elena: Like I said, she's a gutsy little fighter. I really like that program for her and she performs so well. Really great transitions throughout and excellent quick thinking to tack the 3T to that 3L.

Gracie: The music still makes me cringe but she did okay here. Obviously she could have been much better but seeing as how nearly everyone struggled a little today, she's in a great position to medal if she can hold herself together in the FS.

Valentina: So wonderful! I really love this SP for her and I'm glad she was able to have an even better showing here. Valentina knows how to cast a spell when she skates well and I really really hope she's able to bring some of that magic to the FS. I'd love to see her place top 5 here.

Satoko: I really love her program and I thought she had a very solid debut. One thing I'm noticing about Satoko that is troubling is that she pre-rotates her jumps. I noticed it on the replay; in her 3-3, she'd completed one full turn b/f her toe pick left the ice. Hopefully that's something she can work on as well as adding some height to those jumps. But overall, really nice way to debut on the senior GP.

Alena: I thoroughly hate this friggin' program. There is no skating to it. 65% of the program is campy footwork complete with *gasp!* faces, hip wiggles, pointing, winking, etc. etc. I'm sorry but that's a program she should have left back in 2011/12 where it belonged. When 14 year old newbie Elena has a more mature and complete program than the 23 year old veteran Alena, there's a serious problem IMO...

Mirai: Her warm up looked good but she did not do well. She must have been nervous which is really sad b/c this program has potential. All << and <...I pray for her for the FS. If by some miracle she can pull off a top 5 finish it'd be great.

Elene: Disappointing as usual. At least her ticket to Sochi is already stamped...

As long as Mao has a decent FS she should be fine. Akiko will need to do well to maintain her position. Elena and Gracie will have to duke it out for that bronze medal. Should be an interesting competition...

Performance wise, Akiko is the best in the world!

I absolutely love Akiko and Mao! Elena is just a radiant joy! Valentina skated her absolute best!

christinaskater

Medalist
I haven't watched the videos yet but going by the protocols:

Good to see Akiko rewarded despite her issue on the combo. Her PCS were only about a point off of Mao's!! Bout time! Going by the PCS definitions, Akiko should always be among the top in that category given the amount of attention and dedication she gives when she's out there performing. Can't wait to watch her.

:

She is truly what artistry and musicality is all about. I am glad that she is finally rewarded for her skating!

If they don't have a good explanation, they need to be banned by a few months, repeated offense, banned for longer period of time, again, banned for life. If you can't even judge, why are you a judge? Go do something else, like knitting or fishing or something.

The ISU does have something like that, right? Doesn't the referee chair a postmortem meeting of the judges and they all go over the marks, etc.? Judges that are far out of step a certain number of times get demerits, and if they get enough of them there is a hearing where they have to defend their marks using video tapes, etc. If they are found not to have given Marchei high enough marks then they are banned for a few months or demoted to smaller competitions.

Something like that. See ISU Communication 1631 for the details. About a dozen or so so such actions are taken against judges each year, the majority being in ice dance for some reason.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Hmm, who judges the judges? And what if you still don't agree with their decision?

If you don't, then you don't. A lot of us don't agree with supreme court decisions, but it is there for a reason.
The point is, there has to be someone else monitoring the nonsensical judging that is going on. Just ask them to explain it.

New system could be perfect if they do what the system's designed to do. Only people without eyes would put Gracie's CH higher than Valentina's CH here? If the judges can't explain why they put so and so, they should be banned.

astronaut

Rinkside
Mao Asada has this one, barring a freeskate meltdown. The drama is the battle for silver and bronze.

Mike

David21

On the Ice
I think people are being way too harsh on Mao. The 3A is an extremely difficult jump and she's the only woman out there attempting it. So she's not 100% perfect with it. At least (1) she's going for it and (2) rotating it. Slightly 2-footed or not, she's doing it and standing up on it. IMO that's worth something. Give a little credit where it's due...

Mao gets credit for her 3A on base mark which is enough.

Her 3A was
1) slightly underrotated
2) had a turnout
3) had a slight touch down of the free foot.

Sorry but there is no way in hell that his jump should get anything more than a -2, in fact Asada should get a -3 for it which only one single judge out of 9 had the courage to do. Two judges awarded this an element even a -1 which is simply wrong judging.