Pairs Short Program: 2013 NHK Trophy | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Pairs Short Program: 2013 NHK Trophy

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I'm here! and I loved the Japanese pair. Does anyone know anything abt them? Very promising!

Narumi Takahashi won a bronze at Worlds (in 2012, IIRC) with her former partner, Mervin Tran, who is Canadian.
After such unexpected success, they never competed together again. She got injured, but the real reason for the end of the partnership apparently was their lack of eligibility to compete for Japan at the Olympics b/c Tran is not a citizen.
This season is the first for Takahashi and her new partner -- and for Tran and his new partner, Natasha Purich, who compete for Canada.

sequinsgalore

Record Breaker
Tatiana VOLOSOZHAR / Maxim TRANKOV (RUS)

Music: Masquerade Waltz by Aram Khatchaturian

3Tw - very big
3T - easy in unison
3LoTh - also very easy-looking
BiDs
PCoSp
RLi - ok, but bit hesitant footwork
StSq

Strong skate, they make the big elements look easy. Should take the lead with a big score, don't know about world record

SP: 44.66+37.37=82.03, in 1st out of 8

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
TES box thingy says 44.66, close to Skate America TES, however this performance was solid. i expect another record breaker!!

auser

Record Breaker
Narumi Takahashi won a bronze at Worlds (in 2012, IIRC) with her former partner, Mervin Tran, who is Canadian.
After such unexpected success, they never competed together again. She got injured, but the real reason for the end of the partnership apparently was their lack of eligibility to compete for Japan at the Olympics b/c Tran is not a citizen.
This season is the first for Takahashi and her new partner -- and for Tran and his new partner, Natasha Purich, who compete for Canada.
Thanks golden411, I wondered about this.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
No record. They seem disappointed! You don't have to break a record everytime!!

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Thanks golden411, I wondered about this.

One more thing re Takahashi/Kiyahara:
They competed at Nebelhorn, but did not qualify for the Sochi Olympics.

ETA, correction:
Apologies that I bungled his name, which is Kihara.​

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Does that mean that Japan won't have a pairs entry for the team competition?

No. As long as Japan qualifies for the team event, they can pick Takahashi/Kihara for the team event.

However, teams that do have skaters who qualified individually in a given discipline, must chose from those skaters. Example, U.S. have three spots in women's. If Ashley, Graice and Christina go, one or two of the trio must be chosen for the team event.

I hope Martiusheva is ok. She fell flat down on her face on the throw and ended the program with a bloody chin and blood on her shoulder as well. :/

A.H.Black

Final Flight
IIRC, you can enter one skater/team who didn't qualify in their own right.

No. As long as Japan qualifies for the team event, they can pick Takahashi/Kihara for the team event.

However, teams that do have skaters who qualified individually in a given discipline, must chose from those skaters. Example, U.S. have three spots in women's. If Ashley, Graice and Christina go, one or two of the trio must be chosen for the team event.
I knew the team had to be picked from those who qualified to be on the team. I didn't know you could enter one entry that didn't qualify. Thanks .

ice coverage

Record Breaker
No. As long as Japan qualifies for the team event, they can pick Takahashi/Kihara for the team event. ...

"Additional athletes," such as Takahashi/Kihara, will have to meet technical minimums -- which have not been announced yet, IIRC. Those minimums "may be different" from those necessary to compete in the events for the individual disciplines.