All time Olympic podiums and top 5 | Golden Skate

All time Olympic podiums and top 5

kovarkovaelegant

Rinkside
If all the Olympics in skating history were put into one what would the podium and top 5s be. I think these would be it:

Pairs

Gold- Gordeeva & Grinkov 1988 Calgary Olympics. Perfect skating.
Silver- Totmianina & Marinin 2006 Turin Olympics. Boring but technically perfect and polished skating.
Bronze- Gordeeva & Grinkov 1994 Lillehammer Olympics
4th- Miskutienok & Dmitriev 1992 Albertville Olympics
5th- Miskutienok & Dmitriev 1994 Lillehammer Olympics

Mens

Gold- Yagudin 2002 Sale Lake City Olympics
Silver- Plushenko 2006 Turin Olympics
Bronze- Boitano 1988 Calgary Olympics
4th- Kulik 1998 Nagano Olympics
5th- Stojko 1994 Lillehammer Olympics

Dance

Gold- Virtue & Moir 2010 Vancouver Olympics
Silver- Torvill & Dean 1984 Sarajevo Olympics
Bronze- Klimova & Ponomarenko 1992 Albertville Olympics
4th- Grischuk & Platov 1998 Nagano Olympics
5th- Anissina & Peizerat 2002 Salt Lake City Olympics

Ladies

Gold- Yu Na Kim 2010 Vancouver Olympics
Silver- Mao Asada 2010 Vancouver Olympics
Bronze- Tara Lipinski 1998 Nagano Olympics
4th- Michelle Kwan 1998 Nagano Olympics
5th- Shizuka Arakawa 2006 Turin Olympics

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Pairs

Gold- Gordeeva & Grinkov 1988 Calgary Olympics
Silver- Berezhnaya & Sikharulidze 2002 Salt Lake City Olympics
Bronze- Gordeeva & Grinkov 1994 Lillehammer Olympics
4th- Mishkutenok & Dmitriev 1992 Albertville Olympics
5th- Mishkutenok & Dmitriev 1994 Lillehammer Olympics

Mens

Gold- Alexei Yagudin 2002 Sale Lake City Olympics
Silver- Brian Boitano 1988 Calgary Olympics
Bronze- Ilia Kulik 1998 Nagano Olympics
4th- Alexei Urmanov 1994 Lillehammer Olympics
5th- Evgeni Plushenko 2006 Turin Olympics

Dance

Gold- Klimova & Ponomarenko 1992 Albertville Olympics
Silver- Krylova & Ovsyannikov 1998 Nagano Olympics
Bronze- Virtue & Moir 2010 Vancouver Olympics
4th- Torvill & Dean 1984 Sarajevo Olympics
5th- Anissina & Peizerat 2002 Salt Lake City Olympics

Ladies

Gold- Yuna Kim 2010 Vancouver Olympics
Silver- Michelle Kwan 1998 Nagano Olympics
4th- Joannie Rochette 2010 Vancouver Olympics
5th- Mao Asada 2010 Vancouver Olympics

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Pairs

Gold- Gordeeva & Grinkov 1988 Calgary Olympics
Silver- Mishkutenok & Dmitriev 1992 Albertville Olympics
3rd- Sale & Pelletier 2002 Salt Lake City Olympics
4th- Berezhnaya & Sikharulidze 2002 Salt Lake City Olympics
5th- Pang & Tong 2010 Vancouver Olympics (S/Z deserved to win based on the superior SP, but overall SP+LP P/T were cleaner)
(tempted to add T/M but they were awfully boring even if they were clean)

Mens

Gold- Yagudin 2002 Sale Lake City Olympics
Silver- Kulik 1998 Nagano Olympics
Bronze- Boitano 1988 Calgary Olympics
4th- Stojko 1994 Lillehammer Olympics
5th- Plushenko 2010 Vancouver Olympics (while 2006 he won and had some of the strongest jumps ever, I felt his actual programs/performances were better in 2010)

Dance

Gold- Virtue & Moir 2010 Vancouver Olympics
Silver- Davis & White 2010 Vancouver Olympics
Bronze- Torvill & Dean 1984 Sarajevo Olympics
4th- Anissina & Peizerat 2002 Salt Lake City Olympics
5th- Krylova & Ovsiannikov 1998 Nagano Olympics

Ladies

Silver - Tara Lipinski 1998 Nagano Olympics
Bronze - Michelle Kwan 1998 Nagano Olympics
4th- Shizuka Arakawa 2006 Turin Olympics
5th - Mao Asada 2010 Vancouver Olympics (SP and the two 3A in the LP)

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
This isn't really fair to do since the technical demands advance so much over time. Plus COP and 6.0 are so different. My podiums are going to be based on how great a performance was for its time, and separate podiums for 6.0 and COP.

Pairs COP podium:

Gold- Totmianina & Marinin 2006
Silver- Miskutienok & Dmitriev 1994
Bronze- Gordeeva & Grinkov 1988
4th- Berezhnaya & Sikharulidze 2002 (under COP they easily beat S&P, especialy with their way better short program, and barring the crazy U.S media there should be no controversy about it any longer)
5th- Shen & Zhao or Pang & Tong 2010

Pairs 6.0 podium

Gold- Gordeeva & Grinkov 1994
Silver- Gordeeva & Grinkov 1988
Bronze- Rodnina & Zaitsev 1976
4th- Miskutienok & Dmitriev 1994
5th- Miskutienok & Dmitriev 1992

Ladies COP podium

Gold- Yu Na Kim 2010 (by atleast 15 points)
Silver- Dorothy Hamill 1976 (again for the standards of her own era vs the others for theirs)
Bronze- Midori Ito 1988 (no figures)
4th- Shizuka Arakawa 2006
5th- Mao Asada or Joannie Rochette 2010

Ladies 6.0 podium

Gold- Yu Na Kim 2010
Silver- Tara Lipinski 1998
Bronze- Michelle Kwan 1998
4th- Midori Ito 1988
5th- Dorothy Hamill 1976

I will think about the other disciplines some other time. The only easy and total no brainer choice in any discipline is Yu Na Kim in 2010 winning easily under either 6.0 or COP. Every other placement for every other discipline is very subjective.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Mens COP podium

Gold- Yagudin 2002
Silver- Cousins 1980
Bronze- Plushenko 2006
4th- Goebel 2002 (4 clean quads over 2 programs, tons of points probably)
5th- Curry 1976

6.0 mens podium

Gold- Curry 1976
Silver- Yagudin 2002
Bronze- Cousins 1980 (assuming no figures)
4th- Boitano 1988
5th- Orser 1988

Dance podiums (same under both):

Gold- Klimova & Ponomarenko 1992
Silver- Torvill & Dean 1984
Bronze- Virtue & Moir 2010
4th- Gritschuk & Platov 1998
5th- Anissina & Peizerat 2002 or Bestiamanova & Bukin 1988

No way do Davis & White of 2010 make the podium, maybe top 5. They were far less developed then, especialy artistically and benefited majorly from the injuries and layoffs of the two D/S teams, otherwise I doubt they would have even medalled in Vancouver.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
^ I would say the other no-brainer is Yagudin winning under CoP and 6.0 with his 2002 performances. He essentially had the goods to produce level 4 spins if he needed to, his artistry would have been held in higher regard than most skaters, and the fact that he did 2 quads in his FS would likely place him ahead of anyone else, points-wise (perhaps Goebel's 2002 FS might have matched his TES score in the FS with the 3 quads, including the one in the bonus, but he'd easily win on PCS).

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
My competition includes no CD's, since the amount of CD's skated differed between years.

Dance Gold Torvill & Dean 1984 (Bolero FD was good, Paso Doble OSP best of all time :love: )

Silver Pakhomova & Gorshkov 1976 All kinds of fabulous. Check Pakhomova out! Of course, this is the era when the guy was a third leg. No need to look too hard at Gorshkov

Bronze Klimova & Ponomarenko 1992 While I am not a particular fan of their Polka, their Bach FD was wonderful

4th Virtue & Moir 2010 Their handling of the rhythms in their Flamenco OD was masterful. The Mahler FD was very beautiful too.

5th Davis & White 2010 Why D&W in 5th-because of their awesome Bollywood OD :) Their Phantom FD was pretty good too.

6th Krylova & Ovsiannakov 1998 - I always felt that they should have beaten G&P there, and G&P in 1998 were better than G&P in 1994 Their Rock n Roll / Jive OD was the best :love: Krylova's Carmen was the most fierce Carmen ever!

Why not A&P-check out their MLK free dance. Their Spanish medley/Flamenco OD was amazing, the FD not so much.

Last edited:

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
No way do Davis & White of 2010 make the podium, maybe top 5. They were far less developed then, especialy artistically and benefited majorly from the injuries and layoffs of the two D/S teams, otherwise I doubt they would have even medalled in Vancouver.

Except that D/W in 2010 were better than anything Dom/Shab or Belb/Agosto ever did. So, no.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If all the Olympics in skating history were put into one what would the podium and top 5s be. I think these would be it:
Ladies

Silver- Mao Asada 2010 Vancouver Olympics
4th- Michelle Kwan 1998 Nagano Olympics
5th- Shizuka Arakawa 2006 Turin Olympics

Mao Asada, who flubbed triple toe as I recall, over a clean Michelle? I don't think so. (And I won't get into the whole Tara vs. Michelle in '98 thing).

ETA: But if I did, here are my picks, for the modern era:

Gold: Yu Na in '10
Silver: Michelle in '98
Bronze: Tara in '98
4th: Mao in '10
5th: Shizuka in '06

If all eras were considered, I'd have Janet Lynn in '72 in there somewhere.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
Ladies:

1) Midori Ito 1988 (considering her own era standards)
2) Yu-Na 2010
3) Michelle Kwan 1998
4) Nancy Kerrigan 1994 (due to her incredibly beautiful SP)
5) Tara 1998

Ice Dance:

1) Klimova/Ponomarenko 1992
2) Krylova/Osvyannikov 1998
3) Virtue/Moir 2010
4) Torvill/Dean 1984 (please, don't hate me for this, I just don't think it is the best ever)
5) Usova/Zhulin 1994

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
It was T&D's OSP & CD's that were the best ever. Bolera was great too, but it's the OSP that was knock your socks off wonderful.

Its K&P that I put higher because of pressure from reputation, because someone might kill me. I've never seen an Olympics live :cry: , but I did see K&P's 1992 routine at Worlds, and I saw T&D at 1984 Worlds. T&D for the win over K&P any day, any time.

Blades of Passion

Record Breaker
Country
France
MEN

Gold- Yagudin 2002
Silver- Boitano 1988
Bronze- Goebel 2002 (very underrated Long Program)
4th- Plushenko 2006
5th- Takahashi 2010

WOMEN

Gold- Midori Ito 1988 (nobody has ever blown the field away to this extent)
Silver- Tara Lipinski 1998
Bronze- Michelle Kwan 1998
4th- Yu Na Kim 2010
5th- Sarah Hughes 2002

DANCE

Gold- Torvill & Dean 1984
Silver- Torvill & Dean 1994
Bronze- Anissina & Peizerat 2002
4th- Virtue & Moir 2010
5th- Davis & White 2010

PAIRS

Gold- Belousova & Protopopov 1968
Silver- Gordeeva & Grinkov 1988
Bronze- Sale & Pelletier 2002
4th- Berezhnaya & Sikharulidze 2002
5th- Ina & Zimmerman 2002

FSGMT

Record Breaker
It was T&D's OSP & CD's that were the best ever. Bolera was great too, but it's the OSP that was knock your socks off wonderful.

Its K&P that I put higher because of pressure from reputation, because someone might kill me. I've never seen an Olympics live :cry: , but I did see K&P's 1992 routine at Worlds, and I saw T&D at 1984 Worlds. T&D for the win over K&P any day, any time.
I know that my opinion isn't really shared by a lot of people (including the French judge that gave them 5.5 :biggrin: ), but, even if I agree that T/D Bolero was really superior in terms of intricacy and difficulty of the steps, they don't communicate a lot to me, emotionally, when K/M do every single move with such a pathos and an energy that give me chills every time I watch it... There is so much passion and intensity in that program, even without the very difficult steps! :love: (my personal take on this, obviously)

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
T&D OSP Paso Doble (audience explodes even before dance is quite done) The whole place is vibrating with excitement
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsHt7DRxpxA

K&P Polka OSP
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ox56BZ2Wx5g
Notice how much the audience is not into this dance (I was part of that audience, so I can vouch)
Despite Canadian commentator commending the ballroom feel, K&P twidgetted back and forth between making fun of folk dancing polka people and trying to do the ballroom polka they were supposed to be doing.

K&P are far behind T&D in the OSP. Coincidentally, V&M and D&W are doing folk dance in their Olympics, and they definitely outscore K&P on my scorecard in this part of the competition.
That makes K&P no better than 4th in the OD/OSP phase of competition. They would have to make up a lot of ground in the FD, and it was on a par with Bolero, but not as audience engrossing as Bolero.

If you want to see a ballroom polka,Winkler & Lohse's was good, as was Davis & White's Giselle, and the polka part of Die Fledermaus. It does not involve funny faces. Despite V&M having declared their massive distaste for polka, V&M's 2012 polka was better than K&P's.

Last edited:

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Gold- Midori Ito 1988 (nobody has ever blown the field away to this extent)

It's ironic that her program would have scored even higher in the following four Olympics, even though the technical bar was raised substantially. She would not be getting 5.5-5.7 for artistry if compared to Tara or Sarah.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
It's ironic that her program would have scored even higher in the following four Olympics, even though the technical bar was raised substantially. She would not be getting 5.5-5.7 for artistry if compared to Tara or Sarah.

The reason she got those scores was not whom she was competing against. It was that due to figures she wasn't in the final flight of events, and she also didn't have the rep power yet (again mostly due to figures which had kept her results down for years). The thinking of judging in the 3 portion competition days was totally different than the post figures era. Had the event been under 91 rules with the same skaters and performances, you would definitely not see 5.5s and 5.6s for artistry either.

Blades of Passion

Record Breaker
Country
France
The thinking of judging in the 3 portion competition days was totally different than the post figures era.

Totally different meaning totally wrong. And it's still how a lot of judging goes. Just latching onto reputation/momentum/politics to place skaters.

Midori could have won 1988 Olympics even with her poor figures result:

10th in Figures, 1st in SP, 1st in LP = 3.7 weighted grade, highest tiebreaker

Liz Manley = 5th in Figures, 6th in SP, 2nd in LP = 3.7 weighted grade, 2nd highest tiebreaker

Katarina Witt = 4th in Figures, 5th in SP (a case can most definitely be made for all of the American ladies scoring above her here), 3rd in the LP = 3.7 weighted grade, 3rd highest tiebreaker

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Totally different meaning totally wrong. And it's still how a lot of judging goes. Just latching onto reputation/momentum/politics to place skaters.

I never said it was right, now did I. :laugh: I am just saying had it been post figures, she would have gotten marks closer to what she actually deserved, even with the same competition and same skaters. It wasn't so much that she was competing against the supposably so artistic Witt that kept her artistic marks that low, it was all the things that went into the figures era scoring, and that she was never skating in final flights.

Trenary's short program was pretty weak btw. I don't think she could be placed over either Witt or Manley there.

There was no real coverage of the figures so it is hard to say where the skaters should have placed. An article I read at the time claimed Kadavy choked on her last figure which dropped her from 3rd to 7th. Trenary was 5th, but is possible to believe her figures would be better than someone like Witt who came 3rd but generally was held up in figures. Someone like Leistner who was 6th possibly too, as she generally had very strong figures, and probably were often legitimately stronger than Witt's were.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
OK, I'll play:

Men:
Gold - John Curry
Silver - Yagudin
Bronze - Boitano

Women:
Gold - Dorothy Hamill
Silver - Kim
Bronze - Fleming

Pairs

Gold - Protopopovs
Silver - G/G
Bronze B/S

Dance

Gold - K/P
Silver - T/D
Bronze - U/Z (my only non OGM winner; they wuzrobbed)

Skater Boy

Record Breaker

Midori could have won 1988 Olympics even with her poor figures result:

10th in Figures, 1st in SP, 1st in LP = 3.7 weighted grade, highest tiebreaker

Liz Manley = 5th in Figures, 6th in SP, 2nd in LP = 3.7 weighted grade, 2nd highest tiebreaker

Katarina Witt = 4th in Figures, 5th in SP (a case can most definitely be made for all of the American ladies scoring above her here), 3rd in the LP = 3.7 weighted grade, 3rd highest tiebreaker

Manley also easily could have won gold too though.