Pairs Free Skating: 2013 NHK Trophy | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Pairs Free Skating: 2013 NHK Trophy

tulosai

Record Breaker
Obviously this pair are technically very good but they are doing absolutely nothing for me. The only memorable thing so far is that they have the farthest apart side by side spins I've seen in recent history.

sequinsgalore

Record Breaker
Cheng PENG / Hao ZHANG (CHN)

Music: Yellow River Concerto

4Tw - solid, good height
3T+2T - she doubles 3T
3S - he doubles
FCCoSp - bit far apart, unison off
PCoSp
3LoTh - good distance, but stepout
ChSq
3STh - nice
Li - star, split
FiDs
Li - lasso, into star
Li - lasso, into star, into carry

Some smaller mistakes, but overall solid

Score: 58.98+58.11 = 117.09,182.18, in 2nd out of 6

samson

Medalist
Seriously though, part of me does wonder if they have another young man they're working with behind the scenes for when Zhang has to retire and she still wants to go for another quad or two...

wordsworthgirl

Medalist
Seriously though, part of me does wonder if they have another young man they're working with behind the scenes for when Zhang has to retire and she still wants to go for another quad or two...

Agreed. When she looked a little downcast after they ended, he patted her like a father would pat his daughter.

wordsworthgirl

Medalist
Obviously this pair are technically very good but they are doing absolutely nothing for me. The only memorable thing so far is that they have the farthest apart side by side spins I've seen in recent history.

Nothing for me either other than make me feel like I'm watching Father-Daughter Skate Night or Beauty and the Beast on Ice.

Tulosai, +2 GOE for all the snarking. :D

Peng/Zhang have impressive elements and improved basics but that program fell really flat. Stacking spins at start and lifts at end for bonus points without any purpose or connection to the music was bad choreography.

apple123

On the Ice
Well, the age difference does not bother as much as the height difference of some pair, such as DR.

Zhang wants to skate for another quad, at least.

wordsworthgirl

Medalist
Now this pair is adorable, but I feel like I'm watching a 10 year old and 12 year old skate together. are they super super short??

Icey

Record Breaker
Is this being filmed by a special process or with a different camera? It looks different that any competition I've watched this season. In some ways an improvement and others not.

sequinsgalore

Record Breaker
Wenjing SUI / Cong HAN (CHN)

Music: Kalinka (Russian Folk Music)

4Tw - looked bit underrotated, low catch
3T - he falls, she does 2T+2T+2T
2S
3FTh - hard fall
BiDs
FCCoSp - bit far apart
Li - diff entry, exit, star
RLi - platter into one hand
3STh - bit hesitant, but clean
ChSq
Li - aborted entry, she slides and falls
PCoSp

Messy skate w/ 3 falls and aborted element. Should fall behind Cheng/Zhang

Score: 46.88+57.31-3.00 = 101.19, 171.32, in 2nd out of 7

tulosai

Record Breaker
Argh, very sorry for S/H. I hoped for a stronger skate for them here, obviously :no: Hope neither is injured. It seemed they couldn't quite get their feet under themselves throughout.

Damn! I have never seen Sui/Han bomb like this! They were extremely tense from start to finish, lots of costly mistakes. They must have known they must place 2nd to make the GPF but I wouldn't expect them to get so nervous about it, given they are a much better team than Peng/Zhang. Bizarre!

I don't remember him falling on a 3toe ever.

Damn, damn, damn.

tulosai

Record Breaker
Tulosai, +2 GOE for all the snarking. :D

Peng/Zhang have impressive elements and improved basics but that program fell really flat. Stacking spins at start and lifts at end for bonus points without any purpose or connection to the music was bad choreography.

I do admit I can be snarky but I honestly am not even trying right now. I'm just too tired to sugar coat, plain and simple.