Men's Free Skate: 2013 NHK Trophy | Page 12 | Golden Skate

Men's Free Skate: 2013 NHK Trophy

Florencito

Medalist
Oh Javier :cry: Wish I could be really happy for the medalists as I really like them all (even if not the programs), but I just can't right now.
What an awful performance that was and now he has almost no chance of going to Fukuoka :no: What a horrible, horrible way to start the day! Oh Javi, to make up for this, you'd really have to kick buttocks in Sochi

flaneur

On the Ice
Actually, Fernandez competed at the Japan Open about a month ago with these programs. This was his first Grand Prix event, but not his first event this season.

Haha. You caught me. I don't really count events before the grand prix series starts as competition ;)

wordsworthgirl

Medalist
Hi wordsworthgirl! I'm so happy Daisuke came back! According to my inner sources (=Japanese fluff pieces), with the Beatles Medley program he wants to say arigato to all the people who influenced him. Cheesy yes, but I'm a sucker for cheese and tonight's performance put me in tears hehe. The music after the mid slow section and beyond is so beautiful.

Aren't we lucky with Patrick and Daisuke? Both very different styles. Both so admirable.

Oh that KILLS me, Hikki! I am a sucker for sentimentality too, but I think this is truly beautiful that he wants to use the program to thank people. and you can't go wrong with the Beatles.

My dream Olympic Men's Podium for 2014?
Gold: Patrick
Silver: Daisuke
Bronze: Jeremy

hikki

Final Flight
Country
Japan
Why no Medals Ceremony yet?? Should I stay up a little longer or is it not happening soon? Does anyone know? I CANNOT WAIT to see Jeremy on the podium and to hear the ovations for Dai!

The Japanese live broadcast switched to this stupid pop band's performance on ice :scratch: So I think you can have a nap before the ladies final group :)

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Oh Javier :cry: Wish I could be really happy for the medalists as I really like them all, but I just can't right now.
What an awful performance that was and now he has almost no chance of going to Fukuoka :no: What a horrible, horrible way to start the day! Oh Javi, to make up for this, you'd really have to kick buttocks in Sochi

He'll be OK! NHK Trophy is like bad luck for him. He was OTP at last year's NHK too. Remember he would win Europeans and World bronze later in the season.

wordsworthgirl

Medalist
The Japanese live broadcast switched to this stupid pop band's performance on ice :scratch: So I think you can have a nap before the ladies final group :)

I gotta sleep through the ladies unfortunately- but will watch on tape tomorrow. and you know I'll be rooting for Mao and Akiko in my dreams! ;)

I just wanted to see the mens medal ceremony- any updates on when that will happen?

wordsworthgirl

Medalist
Alright thought it would be fun to do a quick calculation of where the men are at in standings for the Grand Prix.

I think it will be:

1. Daisuke (24 points)
2. Nobunari (24 points)
3. Adam (22 points)
4. Jeremy (16 points)
5. Takahiko (16 points)
6. Tatsuki (15 points)
7. Patrick (15 points)
8. Han Yan (15 points)
9. Max (15 points)
10. Maxim (13 points)
11. Yuzuru (13 points)
12. Jason (7 points)
13. Javier (7 points)
14. Richard (7 points)
15. Joshua (7 points)

If I got the tie breakers right I think that's how it all falls right now. Adam is right on the bubble right now. Odds are Patrick, Han and Tatsuki will make the final.

Javier probably took himself out of the running with that skate tonight, but he still could help Adam by defeating Maxim in Russia where Tatsuki and Evgeny will also be skating, but he's going to need to skate much better.

I will be surprised if Yuzuru doesn't get the silver in Paris and honestly all he would need is a bronze to get past Adam and into the final, but as we know Hanyu is full of surprises.

I still think it's too early to tell but right now my guess for skaters in the final in no particular order:
Dai
Nobu
Patrick
Tatsuki
Han Yan
Yuzuru

With Adam and Maxim on the bubble

But as we know the ice is slippery and anything can happen!

Thank you, Samson! I so want Adam to make it!

Mao88

Record Breaker
MEN'S FREE SKATE - VIDEOS (By Starting Order)

Warm-Up Group 1

1. Konstantin MENSHOV (RUS) Free Skate
2. Max AARON (USA) Free Skate, 2nd Copy
3. Jeremy ABBOTT (USA) Free Skate
4. Sergei VORONOV (RUS) Free Skate, 2nd Copy

Warm-Up Group 2

5. Takahito MURA (JPN) Free Skate, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy
6. Adam RIPPON (USA) Free Skate, 2nd Copy
7. Nobunari ODA (JPN) Free Skate, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy, 4th Copy
8. Javier FERNANDEZ (ESP) Free Skate, 2nd Copy
9. Daisuke TAKAHASHI (JPN) Free Skate, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy, 4th Copy, 5th Copy, 6th Copy, Interview

RESULT

Overall Result, Segment Result, Protocols

yude

Record Breaker
Congratulations to all the medalists!! :clap:

I was so disappointed at the low score for Oda's SP, but I enjoyed men's FP overall very much!!
All 3 programs from the medalists were so touching and moved me to tears...
This was the last NHK for Oda and Takahashi, I'll miss them:cry:

samson

Medalist
It's a rare treat to see your top three skaters have such incredible performances. This was a really magical event to be sure.

Adam also should be proud of the way he skated here at NHK. two ratified quads and two ratified triple axels. Even though he still didn't hit his second axel in the free it's nice to see his technical content is really building. It seems like the switch to Rafael is starting to pay off even if the result tonight wasn't what he wanted. He should be proud.

Poor Max. He really looked out of sorts to me. It's still a ways away from nationals so there's plenty of time for things to change but it looks like nationals might be turning into a three man race. Next week we'll have to see if Ross is improved from his first outing on the circuit.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
My fantasy skating men's team for NHK: Fernandez, Aaron, Menshov. FML.

I don't think Max was completely horrible but the Lori Nichol choreo is for him. I remember groaning in dismay when I saw that news and having people tell me that reaction was silly because Nichol was a great choreographer. For some skaters maybe. Not for Max. This is a bit of a mess.

Next week's USA men are Ross and Jason. That'll be an interesting match-up on its own, but also consider that Jason now has his first-GP nerves out of the way and is not likely to make the same mistake with his LP (getting too tight) twice.

COR American men are Joshua and Richard.

Russian men are looking crazy. Always love Menshov, I have no freaking idea what the hell this was from Voronov, Kovtun and Gachinski far from convincing...and the King has just laid down two programs that will be quite strong at full content. We will see Kovtun and Gachinski again at CoR, as well as Plushenko. Neither Menshov nor Voronov have a second assignment. Kovtun was the only one given two off the bat (Gachinski was given the CoR host pick).

hurrah

Medalist
I managed to watch most of the men's. I cried watching Jeremy's performance most. I also cried watching Dai's performance, but less.
I really liked Adam's program and he's looking like a different skater.

I don't think Max was completely horrible but the Lori Nichol choreo is for him. I remember groaning in dismay when I saw that news and having people tell me that reaction was silly because Nichol was a great choreographer. For some skaters maybe. Not for Max. This is a bit of a mess.

Aaron's programs were done by Pasquale Camerlengo, not Lori Nichol.

Srin Odessa

On the Ice
Great performance by the medalists.

He'll be OK! NHK Trophy is like bad luck for him. He was OTP at last year's NHK too. Remember he would win Europeans and World bronze later in the season.

Do you think he's like Patrick in that he's allergic to East Asian competitions?

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Fine skating and a great competition = Congrats to Dai, Oda and Jeremy. :yay:
Very nice podium, indeed!