Free Dance: 2013 NHK Trophy | Page 12 | Golden Skate

Free Dance: 2013 NHK Trophy

sweetskates1

Medalist
D/W are amazing. I am, however, worried. The programs are amazing and the judges' favor seems to be on their side. That said, the SP is just not as amazing as I wish it would be. The FD has so much room for improvement - it is a masterpiece but D/W need to perform it like did their last program. There was fire and angst and glory in both their SD and FD performances last season. This room to grow gives me tremendous hope yet I am totally convinced that V/M are still the favorites. D/W are a figure skating revolution. Their athleticism, speed, strength, and technical ability are completely unprecedented.

Most levelheaded fans agree that what separates D/W and V/M supporters is a matter of preference. This is what I believe, no other pair of ice dancers have reached the athletic ability of D/W. No other rivals have the capacity to achieve the levels of speed and execution like them. What other pair of ice dancers could, as the EuroSport commentators indicate, fly at 100mph while dancing so beautifully?

sweetskates1

Medalist
I find that the Italians are also the best technically after D/W but they were not one bit impressive at their last outing.

The French are not that impressive either - at least - not to the point where I expected, given the racket that came with their coach change. They look slow and sloppy still.

V/M are still the favorites. They will look a million times more polished and sell the romance and lifts until they win. Like I posted earlier, the only great thing is that D/W have tremendous room for improvement and two amazingly difficult dances.

Yes.. based on ability, scoring, trends, program, performance and what has been put out this season so far at non-bias competitions, this is what I come up with. The couple you mention, I did not leave them out. They are part of several couples that could/should be in bronze medal position heading into the freedance. I am just too lazy to copy & paste each and every one of their names.

But to be more specific maybe I should have said the French couple, the Russian couple and the two Canadian couples, just to make sure the fans of all the other couples would not feel as if I left them out.

I must say the Italian couple is the one that I fear. They are the one couple on the planet with the technical and athletic firepower to go toe-to-toe with Davis/White. If they can add a bit more highlights to their freedance, watch out!

caitie

Medalist
V/M are still the favorites. They will look a million times more polished and sell the romance and lifts until they win.

I agree that V/M will look more polished by the Olympics and sell the romance in their programs, but I think D/W have very eye-catching lifts as well!

The FD has so much room for improvement - it is a masterpiece but D/W need to perform it like did their last program. There was fire and angst and glory in both their SD and FD performances last season.

I don't remember there being fire/angst/glory in Giselle. It was a fun and bubbly program, similar to what they're going for in this season's SD. And Notre Dame de Paris was a good FD, but personally I'm so much happier with this one already even this early in the season. Besides wanting to see it skated with more fire/angst/glory (although tbh, I think the story line they are trying to convey calls for a more subtle approach than NDdP did...) and I assume finesse (lifts being smoother, no more missed or nearly missed grabs during the spin, Charlie searching for Meryl's arm on the final lift, etc), what improvements are you hoping to see?

sweetskates1

Medalist
Hi Caitie!

Oh no, I should have typed the fire/angst/glory in last year's FD and glory in last year's SD. I am always trying to type as quickly as possible and end up typing jumbled thoughts.. Yes, their Giselle SD is probably my favorite ever - it was incredibly lithe and glorious throughout - memorable and joyful. They sold the crap out of it and it was amazing. I do not feel that their current SD is being sold as well yet. Their FD last year, specially as performed at US nationals, truly deserved almost a perfect score. There were no unfinished movements, no tentative pauses, no wasted emotions or spaces. It was magical and sublime. If you notice with this year's FD there are some spaces and small portions where you can notice a need for more polish. For example, look at Charlie's positions during and right after their incredibly challenging lifts - his legs look awkward, Meryl's arms do not look graceful, ect. Also, there should be more speed, I want to feel like I am flying with Merlie like I did last season. I am waiting for the programs to be perfect and OGM-memorable! The other improvements, I wish the lift in the SD was more awesome - I feel that V/M have a much better SD this year. I hope there are new costumes next year for both the SD and FD. I love the ones they are using for the FD now, but I want to be surprised again. I do not care for their SD costumes, thought I love the light pink on Meryl and the jacket on Charlie. I am so excited about the programs and concepts this season - D/W will be glorious if they skate their best.

I agree that V/M will look more polished by the Olympics and sell the romance in their programs, but I think D/W have very eye-catching lifts as well!

I don't remember there being fire/angst/glory in Giselle. It was a fun and bubbly program, similar to what they're going for in this season's SD. And Notre Dame de Paris was a good FD, but personally I'm so much happier with this one already even this early in the season. Besides wanting to see it skated with more fire/angst/glory (although tbh, I think the story line they are trying to convey calls for a more subtle approach than NDdP did...) and I assume finesse (lifts being smoother, no more missed or nearly missed grabs during the spin, Charlie searching for Meryl's arm on the final lift, etc), what improvements are you hoping to see?

Whitneyskates

On the Ice
V/M are still the favorites.
I'm not sure how they could be considered the favorite at this point? Co-favorites, maybe, but I think at this point in time, D/W would be considered the odds on favorite.

deedee1

Record Breaker
It's been quite some time since NHK Trophy. Sorry that I am soooo late as usual to write here. But at least two of very very good-hearted GS members say it's okay to be late and still look forward to reading my report, it seems ;), here is a small report from one casual skating fan watching the competition live in the arena (who, mind you, may be a least-knowledgeable with ice dance but loves the sport so much!).

In spite of my preference and huge love for Men, Ice dance to me is normally a competition that I can purely enjoy figure skating without worrying too much getting nervous or holding back my breath. And as expected, it has turned out the best comp among all four desciplines at this year's NHK! :)

First of all, Anna's SD dress was the cutest I have ever seen!
Second, Meryl/Charlie's SD was a dream.
Third, Elena/Nikita's opening lift in their Black Swan FD was simply 'gorgeous'! :love:

Some other thoughts:

Paul Poirier's skating is out-of-this-world. Their simple black costumes, too, which we don't often see from ice dancers. And while it was good to see Piper has improved her skating since last season, there was an obvious gap compared to Paul's, even far from the arena where I sat. Even to my 'un-trained' eys and while he in such a black modest simple outfit, the sureness the crispness of Paul's edges and turns, his core strength during such difficult lifts, his presence on ice were remarkable. And less unison compared to other top dancers I thought, but I loved the music, choreos and concept of their FD, very unique and I pretty much enjoyed it. A very good choice of to package this still very young and promising couple with a nice music cut and telling a story. First time to see this couple live and what was remarkable to me was they DO have an ability to draw the audience in. My husband and I stood up for an ovation. Looking forward to seeing them again.

The Reeds did great considering the condition of Chris' knee. And very good choice of music skating to Shogun as they are heading to their second (and probably last;;; ) Olympics. Hope they can improve their speed a bit as his knee gets better and the season deepens.

The crowd absolutely loved Elena/Nikita's FD and got the standing ovation. Then disappointed saying 'oh?' 'really?' when the score came up. Idk what went wrong but they skated so confident thruout their free dance. A bit surprised to see Elena on the big screen appeared so emotional after the free and also in the KnC. Was she ill or injured? If not, then my guess would be the earthquake that hit early in the morning (around 7:30am iirc)...Cathy Reed later said in her blog that she was on ice for an official practice when it hit, that means all other top ice dancers (of the second group) must be off ice in the arena preparing for their own official practice. I have no idea if any of skaters or someone else did mention the quake, but it was not a mega one like March two years ago of course but wasn't a small one, either. Must have scared all foreign skaters awfully a lot. I feel for them.

The Shibs were also great. The crowd pretty much loved them skating to MJ medley, and got a standing ovation. Energetic, dancable, nice speed edges and turns throughout the program. They finally have got 'a program of their own' that suits their youth and personality, I think. Alex needs to DANCE a littele better. "Hideo, (that's Alex's middle name ;)) you can go and consult with Daisuke about your dance, better hairdo and costume!" :)

Sorry time's up for me now. May come back later, if I am able to survive the next three days...J-Nats starts tomorrow.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
deedee, thank you for the report! I don't care how late it is, you ROCK! :clap: :bow:

I'm really happy to hear the Shibutanis looked good out there. :)

I hope that you will be able to stay calm this weekend. :) If not, you know we're here for you!

caitie

Medalist
Aw, thanks for the report!

I was surprised to see Elena crying as well after their FD. I thought maybe she was moved by the crowd reaction.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Deedee1 Thanks so much! I'd love some more detail on Meryl & Charlie, both FD & SD, and Elena & Nikita's SD, and the Shibs SD!