Free Dance: 2013 NHK Trophy | Page 11 | Golden Skate

Free Dance: 2013 NHK Trophy

Matt K

On the Ice
About the NHK Dance event, I'm only giving the top 5:

D/W - I'm not feeling the Quickstep from their SD, it's too lilting for me to be one. /QUOTE]

FYI - Their SD starts with a Foxtrot, then goes to the required Finnstep (Quickstep), and ends with a Foxtrot. No team's required Finnstep can be described as "lilting."

Sorry, i meant the Foxtrot section from I Could Have Danced All Night.

tulosai

Record Breaker
You missed the point of golden411's post or just didn't read it carefully AT ALL. Wherever I "bashed people" was in direct response to the BASHER who made the initial post. Yet, you SELECTIVELY choose NOT to call out these posters (the D/W ubers) who initiated that kind of bashing. So you conveniently, SELECTIVELY, might I add, choose not to read page 9, yet you read pages 10+ and find my comment (which again, a direct response to the initial posters) and feel the need to lecture me on it, even if my post far less extreme than the initial posters (the D/W ubers). As for the V/M fans being nasty to you? Really??! :rolleye::rolleye: Between, like, the 3 V/M fans on this board, lol, and the 90 million followers of D/W on this forum, no one has made you retract your comments about your favoritism toward your favorite team or has criticized you for liking D/W. No one. What is wrong with asking what you like in a team? Or discussing why they are better/worse than another? Now, as for me calling you uninformed about ice dancing in the other thread where we bickered about the merits of D/W's status in the sport, that was mainly in response to you calling me a troll first :p

I feel you want me to shut me down every time in your posts when I mention V/M. Funny thing, is, if you read this thread, V/M were initially talked about first by the D/W uber, to whom I responded with some truth to his false statement which I merely CORRECTED. And its quite rich of you to be talking about being nasty to other posters.

I read page 12 (not 10) and on, honestly, because I saw Mrs. P was posting and I like her posts in general (NOT just about dance, we are great board friends). It is as simple as that. Lots of people have been very mean to me about my alleged dislike of V/M. For a very recent example see post 101 here in a pairs thread where I had not mentioned D/W or said anything at all controversial as best I could tell from the others currently posting there http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?42515-Pairs-Free-Skating-2013-NHK-Trophy/page7 in response to me simply telling someone with 450+ posts who I've talked to a lot on the boards that I and many others know they aren't a troll. As I said above, there are nasty D/W and V/M fans. Was that post not nasty to me for liking D/W? I will pull others for you if you like. It is not a problem.

As for me being rude, I admitted I was rude to you once. I was having a bad night (though it's no excuse) and I did publicly apologize here: http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/sh...emembered-with-time-as-among-the-greats/page6 If you read the boards a lot (and I think you do) I think it's fairly clear I have at most minor spats with other posters. I don't think I 'm super popular here or anything, but I don't think anyone much would say I'm often rude. Also, for the last time, D/W are not my favorites. I really resent you and others trying to tell me they are. This is rude, and you did it in your post this time. For the last time, I prefer V/M. I am sometimes critical of them, but I am sometimes critical of D/W too. This doesn't mean I don't like them. It means I can see flaws and I want them to improve them. I don't think I should have to be accused of not liking V/M or D/W being my favorite because I dare to prefer D/W's free program this year or to point out some of V/M's flaws. I also don't think I should need to choose which team to like better or take a side as if you can't like both teams.

If you want to keep being nasty to me it is your choice. I'd rather move on and try to have positive interactions. I gave advice, and said you could take or leave it. It's fine. I gave the advice because you yourself expressed puzzlement at another comment of mine that you were coming across as rude to D/W fans. You said really? and I elaborated.

Again, I'd rather move on and would appreciate if you'd accept the white flag. If not, it is again your choice.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I read page 12 (not 10) and on, honestly, because I saw Mrs. P was posting and I like her posts in general (NOT just about dance, we are great board friends). It is as simple as that. Lots of people have been very mean to me about my alleged dislike of V/M. For a very recent example see post 101 here in a pairs thread where I had not mentioned D/W or said anything at all controversial as best I could tell from the others currently posting there http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?42515-Pairs-Free-Skating-2013-NHK-Trophy/page7 in response to me simply telling someone with 450+ posts who I've talked to a lot on the boards that I and many others know they aren't a troll. As I said above, there are nasty D/W and V/M fans. Was that post not nasty to me for liking D/W? I will pull others for you if you like. It is not a problem.

As for me being rude, I admitted I was rude to you once. I was having a bad night (though it's no excuse) and I did publicly apologize here: http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/sh...emembered-with-time-as-among-the-greats/page6 If you read the boards a lot (and I think you do) I think it's fairly clear I have at most minor spats with other posters. I don't think I 'm super popular here or anything, but I don't think anyone much would say I'm often rude. Also, for the last time, D/W are not my favorites. I really resent you and others trying to tell me they are. This is rude, and you did it in your post this time. For the last time, I prefer V/M. I am sometimes critical of them, but I am sometimes critical of D/W too. This doesn't mean I don't like them. It means I can see flaws and I want them to improve them. I don't think I should have to be accused of not liking V/M or D/W being my favorite because I dare to prefer D/W's free program this year or to point out some of V/M's flaws. I also don't think I should need to choose which team to like better or take a side as if you can't like both teams.

If you want to keep being nasty to me it is your choice. I'd rather move on and try to have positive interactions. I gave advice, and said you could take or leave it. It's fine. I gave the advice because you yourself expressed puzzlement at another comment of mine that you were coming across as rude to D/W fans. You said really? and I elaborated.

Again, I'd rather move on and would appreciate if you'd accept the white flag. If not, it is again your choice.

Thanks, tulosai for your kind words regarding my posts. I do appreciate your board friendship. :biggrin:

As for me, I'm not a D/W or V/M uber in fact, as I've made quite clear on these boards, I'm a ShibSibs uber. If you want to talk about an ice dance team that lacks fans on this board, I think the Shibutanis, sadly, would be No. 1. And my fandom is not because I think they are the best ice dancers in the world (though I think they are better than most people give them credit for), but because I like them as people. I love their wit and I like the strong relationship they have with each other and other skaters. I also appreciate the efforts they made to engage with their fans via social media. I also like their humility and willingness to work hard for their results. They have never made excuses for their struggles and just accepted them for what they are.

I like both D/W and V/M but I don't have deep loyalties with either. I will pop into the fan threads for both.

My earlier defense is in reference to the point that I know many D/W fans that not trollish and bad-mouthing and really do appreciate V/M as competitors and amazing Ice Dancers. Like Tulosai, I did not see earlier posts but just the posts on page 12 (after I posted the post that tulosai referenced) and the post in question did not have a reference to a specific user (or the earlier post from said user), so I could only conclude that the comment was directed at D/W fans in general.

In any case, this is yet another reason I tried to avoid discussion of the boards on the boards. So I think I'll return with the policy. But just wanted to provide some clarification.

blackswanphoto

On the Ice
I can't wait for Davis and White to get their gold medal in Sochi :clap:
Hopefully they do not leave the best performances on the grand prix, but even with a fall they still should win pretty easily.

blackswanphoto

On the Ice
^^ Hehe...lol. :rolleye::p:laugh:
Unless there is some strange karma in the air, like Kwan and Kurt Browning's Olympic bad luck, I calculate that D/W should have about a 1-2 fall cushion for gold. They just beat their biggest competition for the Olympics by 26 points at NHK a few days ago.

tulosai

Record Breaker
Unless there is some strange karma in the air, like Kwan and Kurt Browning's Olympic bad luck, I calculate that D/W should have about a 1-2 fall cushion for gold. They just beat their biggest competition for the Olympics by 26 points at NHK a few days ago.

To beat someone they kind of have to be there...

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I can't wait for Davis and White to get their gold medal in Sochi :clap:
Hopefully they do not leave the best performances on the grand prix, but even with a fall they still should win pretty easily.

Are you sure you're not secretly a V/M fan trying to make D/W fans look bad? :rofl:

tulosai

Record Breaker
Thanks, tulosai for your kind words regarding my posts. I do appreciate your board friendship. :biggrin:

As for me, I'm not a D/W or V/M uber in fact, as I've made quite clear on these boards, I'm a ShibSibs uber.

I dunno if I'd call myself an uber but the team I actually am most excited about right now is Hubble and Donahue. I think she is :jaw: and I love their passion on the ice. I will sob if they don't make the Olys.

blackswanphoto

On the Ice
I dunno if I'd call myself an uber but the team I actually am most excited about right now is Hubble and Donahue. I think she is :jaw: and I love their passion on the ice. I will sob if they don't make the Olys.

Hubbell and Donahue are great but need more difficulty. But I actually think they have the best Freedance concept of all the teams this year. Krylova may be bitter, but she put her heart into the choreography of that program.

blackswanphoto

On the Ice
I don't think that any team will win dance with a fall.

A fall on the finnstep, probably not. But if D/W can go clean in the short dance and get their 5-10 point lead, should be enough of a cushion for a fall with the amount of difficulty in their freedance. Actually their freedance I think is too risky/difficult. They should water it down technically a bit to give themselves a safety margin. I was looking at the footstep sequence at the end of the program, it is way to high risk. Skating that close together that fast, they are just asking to fall. They can do something much less risky and probably still get the level.

blackswanphoto

On the Ice
I must also congratulate the wonderful dance judges and technical callers at NHK, COC and Finlandia. Their integrity, vision and courage to mark the performances as an actual sport and what they actually see on the ice, shows just a little hope that the sport may come back to it's golden age someday. Now if the rest of the judges can follow their lead we are in for a great season.

caitie

Medalist
But if D/W can go clean in the short dance and get their 5-10 point lead

At 2013 Worlds, D/W had a "dream skate" (their words) that broke the world record for a SD score. V/M made two errors. Even then, D/W were only 3.25 points ahead. What do you expect V/M are going to do to be 10 points behind D/W? Fall all over the ice?

I doubt it. I think things will be tight after the SD. With a more strict caller and a two dropped levels, D/W's score was just barely ahead of V/M's score after a skate that included at least one dropped level + some negative GOE.

blackswanphoto

On the Ice
At 2013 Worlds, D/W had a "dream skate" (their words) that broke the world record for a SD score. V/M made two errors. Even then, D/W were only 3.25 points ahead. What do you expect V/M are going to do to be 10 points behind D/W? Fall all over the ice?

I doubt it. I think things will be tight after the SD. With a more strict caller and a two dropped levels, D/W's score was just barely ahead of V/M's score after a skate that included at least one dropped level + some negative GOE.

If the judging is clean and their are no home court advantages and everyone skates perfect.. The standings should be

1. Davis/White >>>>>>>>>>>> 2. Cappellini/Lanotte>>> 3. One of numerous other teams

I am not basing this on past performances nor future, only from each couples respective short dance performance and score this season OFF home ice, where the judges would not feel any pressure to sway things one way or another. This could always change based on upcoming competitions, but so far this season from my data this would be the standings. Third place had too many couples to consider for their to be one clear cut favorite.

nevergonnadance

On the Ice
I don't think you are basing this on any performance on this planet, blackswanphoto. Certainly not on any performance by Davis White.

On the scoring for Davis White, sure. On their performance, no. And dear lord, certainly not on how Virtue Moir skate.

It's late so maybe this will follow up tomorrow. :)

blackswanphoto

On the Ice
I don't think you are basing this on any performance on this planet, blackswanphoto. Certainly not on any performance by Davis White.

On the scoring for Davis White, sure. On their performance, no. And dear lord, certainly not on how Virtue Moir skate.

It's late so maybe this will follow up tomorrow. :)

Yes.. based on ability, scoring, trends, program, performance and what has been put out this season so far at non-bias competitions, this is what I come up with. The couple you mention, I did not leave them out. They are part of several couples that could/should be in bronze medal position heading into the freedance. I am just too lazy to copy & paste each and every one of their names.

But to be more specific maybe I should have said the French couple, the Russian couple and the two Canadian couples, just to make sure the fans of all the other couples would not feel as if I left them out.

I must say the Italian couple is the one that I fear. They are the one couple on the planet with the technical and athletic firepower to go toe-to-toe with Davis/White. If they can add a bit more highlights to their freedance, watch out!

sweetskates1

Medalist
Matt K: You take these things way too seriously. I think you are the one guilty of being an illogical fan. Please ignore all of my posts if you need to.