Mao changing her FP jump layout to include two 3-axel!? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Mao changing her FP jump layout to include two 3-axel!?

amc987

On the Ice
Can anyone explain why Mao insists on doing a 3F-3Lo (really 2Lo this season) instead of 3F-3T? Does the Zayak rule prohibit her from doing this layout:

3A, 3F-3T, 3Lz, 2A-3T, 3S, 3Lo, 3F-2Lo-2Lo? That seems like her best shot of getting the maximum number of points from the jump elements. I don't see her getting 3F-3Lo ratified especially when she's getting calls on her 2Los this season. IMO, doing 2 triple axels in the free program is a big mistake. Even if she makes them (and that's a big if considering she's been double-footing them this fall), she'll have mistakes on her jumps elsewhere that will cost her points in base value and GOE.

hurrah

Medalist
Can anyone explain why Mao insists on doing a 3F-3Lo (really 2Lo this season) instead of 3F-3T? Does the Zayak rule prohibit her from doing this layout:

3A, 3F-3T, 3Lz, 2A-3T, 3S, 3Lo, 3F-2Lo-2Lo? That seems like her best shot of getting the maximum number of points from the jump elements. I don't see her getting 3F-3Lo ratified especially when she's getting calls on her 2Los this season. IMO, doing 2 triple axels in the free program is a big mistake. Even if she makes them (and that's a big if considering she's been double-footing them this fall), she'll have mistakes on her jumps elsewhere that will cost her points in base value and GOE.

Her team probably doesn't want to repeat the toe loop twice. It's better for her to repeat the flip and loop.

amc987

On the Ice
Her team probably doesn't want to repeat the toe loop twice. It's better for her to repeat the flip and loop.

But does that make any sense? If she can't get the 3F-3Lo credited and she (presumably) can't do 2A-3Lo, then wouldn't doing 2 3Ts be better than doing 2 3Los?

If she insists on keeping 2 3 Los, I could see is getting rid of the 3F-2Lo-2Lo combo and doing something like 3F-1/2 Loop-3Lo. It seems like she's almost guaranteeing herself a downgrade if she keeps the 3Lo as back part of a combo and she can't do 2 solo 3Los so...

hurrah

Medalist
But does that make any sense? If she can't get the 3F-3Lo credited and she (presumably) can't do 2A-3Lo, then wouldn't doing 2 3Ts be better than doing 2 3Los?

If she insists on keeping 2 3 Los, I could see is getting rid of the 3F-2Lo-2Lo combo and doing something like 3F-1/2 Loop-3Lo. It seems like she's almost guaranteeing herself a downgrade if she keeps the 3Lo as back part of a combo and she can't do 2 solo 3Los so...

Well, yeah. Personally, I think getting the 3-loop ratified as a second jump is a nearly impossible mission. To me, it seems more difficult than Mao getting two triple-axels ratified.

But, well, Mr. Sato is probably in a better position to judge what Mao should attempt. So... who knows? Like the 3-axel, I think she is landing apparently clean 3flip-3loop combinations in practice. Her team still has Grand Prix Final, Nationals, and even the Olympics team event (where I guess Mao will skate the SP) to see if the 3flip-3loop combo is a realistic inclusion.

bara1968

On the Ice
Yeah.. She can do whatever she wants to do, but I hope that she/her team can remember that, what made her unhappy in Vancouver was not 3As but popped 3T and URed 3F+2lo+2lo. Those mistakes could even take the silver from her. It's better to concentrate on her other jumps, especially 3F and 3T rather than 3A isn't it? In both GPs her 3Fs in sequence were really questionable as well as her 3Ts (one doubled and the other in NHK was questionable. She was lucky to get away with multiple URs this time.) Thinking of having more 3A on the top of all the issues she got is :sarcasm: Sochi is in 3 months, not in 13 months.

prettykeys

Medalist
8-triple layout or two-3A layout...

1) Either way, YuNa is likely to win if she is clean and she has a decent chance of being clean.
2) Interesting that this is announced after Mao achieves a new PB at NHK, looking unimpressed/disappointed in the K&C (to me.) She seems to be thinking of what it might take to achieve a 140+ LP, I think. Whatever Mao is more comfortable with, I guess. A 140+ LP would be within reach if she skated either layouts fairly cleanly. I would prefer the 8-triple attempt myself, but it's not up to me.

hikki

Final Flight
Country
Japan
Oh Mao! You're impossible!!

I have faith in Mr Sato to manage Mao. I don't think he'll let her go for it. Personally I love Mao's purity in going for what she believes in, and when it comes to this jump it's her motivation, identity and what defines her. But Mr Sato I'm sure is wise enough to teach her about being strategic. And going for two 3axels when she has room for improvement elsewhere is not is style at all.

I'd rather see her show a "complete" and well-balanced program with one 3axel than two 3axels that take too much time to set up (even with the improved entry).

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
hikki said:
I have faith in Mr Sato to manage Mao. I don't think he'll let her go for it.

It looks like he does. There was an interview today complete with some practice clips, where she stated she wants to go for 3A and 3A2T. As it seems, instead of the 3Lz (though I'm not sure about that). Some of the lovely ladies at the fb group posted the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zg834tyWN84

Somewhere around 4:00 you can see both the 3A and the 3A combination.

minze

Medalist
It looks like he does. There was an interview today complete with some practice clips, where she stated she wants to go for 3A and 3A2T. As it seems, instead of the 3Lz (though I'm not sure about that). Some of the lovely ladies at the fb group posted the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zg834tyWN84

Somewhere around 4:00 you can see both the 3A and the 3A combination.

I think Mao is just teasing the media. You know they need a good story. they did this too last year when they said Mao was planning the 3axel for the japanese nationals and she did not include it.

Mao can do whatever she wants (still love her), but I dont think she is goint to include two triple axes in GPF.

mary01

Final Flight
If Mao is planning to put two 3A's back in her LP, I think it is more likely that she will include it at Nationals. but I have to say in her recent practice clips all her 3A attempts looked really good, so who knows

coppertop1

On the Ice
She still needs a triple-triple. I'd rather see one 3A, and a triple triple, then relying on the 3A. I felt that when she did the two triples her skating lost something (she also didn't have the lutz or triple-triple), though I think it was more how she was packaged at the time. That heavy dramatic music Tarasova gave her never really suited her IMO. It's her choice as to have two triple axels or not.

inskate

On the Ice
I think Mao is just teasing the media. You know they need a good story. they did this too last year when they said Mao was planning the 3axel for the japanese nationals and she did not include it.

She went for it at 4CC, though. She didn't attempt 3A at Nats because Nobuo Sato forbade it.

It's actually a pretty funny story - before Nats Mao said she would like to put 3A in her programs. She started practicing it, but during the practices at Nationals coach Sato said she shouldn't attempt it in her programs and Mao listened to him. However, she continued to practice 3A & 3F-3L and before 4CC she approached Sato again, determined to convince him. Sato agreed . he mentioned later later that he actually didn't mind Mao attempting the more difficult layout - he just wanted her to convince him first, because if she wasn't ready to challenge his opinon, she wasn't ready to challenge the jumps, either. ;)

As for the jumping layout - I hope she keeps the current one for Sochi (+ 3F-3L). Even doubling or <-ing 3L wouldn't take too much of the whole program (as long as the rest was clean-ish), but popping 3A would be a much more visible mistake and could impact the PCS somewhat (especially considering the fact that some of the transitions before attempted 3A-2T and eventual 3F-3L would have to go).
However, I wouldn't mind her trying 2 3As at GPF - perhaps the mindset of keeping 3F-3L as a backup would help her get rid of the mental block she seems to have developed in regard to this combo, as she rarely misses it in practice, but, in Mao's own words, she tends to overthink it in the competition.

mary01

Final Flight
She still needs a triple-triple. I'd rather see one 3A, and a triple triple, then relying on the 3A. I felt that when she did the two triples her skating lost something (she also didn't have the lutz or triple-triple), though I think it was more how she was packaged at the time. That heavy dramatic music Tarasova gave her never really suited her IMO. It's her choice as to have two triple axels or not.

I hear this a lot, and I think Bells of Moscow is either a program one loves or hates. I personally loved it, because it was very different and at the same time very exciting and that was refreshing to see. and also because of it's depth, and the choreography and transitions in it, that really interpreted the music, and what I associate with Sergei Rachmaninov Bells of Moscow.

As for Mao putting 3As, I wouldn't call it relying on the Axel, afterall her layout is still filled with plenty of difficult jumps and combinations that each on their own score likewise big, and this change will not make a big difference to her technical score,it will still be huge. it's another approach another challenge, but Nationals would definitely be a better place to try it out!

CarneAsada

Medalist
It looks like he does. There was an interview today complete with some practice clips, where she stated she wants to go for 3A and 3A2T. As it seems, instead of the 3Lz (though I'm not sure about that). Some of the lovely ladies at the fb group posted the link
She can't keep the rest of her layout the same. She'd Zayak (doing another 3F and 3Lo). It'd be interesting to see what changes she makes. I hope she repeats the 3Lo as the solo loop is one of her best jumps and it'd be a shame to only have it as an iffy part of a combination.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
I've been thinking that the reason Mao is so stubborn with her 3A attempt is that a 3-3 combination is less likely for her to happen than 3A, even though she knew 3A is risky. I think realistically Mao should aim for the podium not the gold. I would hate to see a clean Ashely without a 3-3 beat a flawed Mao at the Olympics.

TheCzar

On the Ice
It's not desperation, but a pride of an athlete. Anybody who has pride in what they can offer the world, in terms of skill or expertise, will always work hard into making sure nothing comes short of their own personal expectations. Asada has had her 3A as her trademark jumps, and regardless of conditions and naysayers- it would be silly to think otherwise. I'm not surprised if she is toying with the idea because it's her 'thing' and elite athletes who have that factor that distinguishes them, will always ensure that their 'speciality' comes first.

At this point in the game, the fact that she says she will include in the program what she feels like including, isn't desperation- it's a free-spirited way of thinking. She's not that concerned about winning gold (as she was during the last quadrennial) but rather, putting out a performance that will satisfy HER. Obviously, we will never know what these athletes are thinking about deep down, but I sense nothing but good vibes from Mao this season, least of all desperation. She's been so zen since coming into with the Satos.

Anyway, people need to chill out. She's more than welcome to use the GPF as a practice competition. It's hardly the Olympics. ;)

hikki

Final Flight
Country
Japan
She can do whatever motivates her, but I don't like seeing two 3axels back to back as the setups kill the flow of the program, just like Bells of Moscow. Not good for SS.