Mao changing her FP jump layout to include two 3-axel!? | Golden Skate

Mao changing her FP jump layout to include two 3-axel!?

hurrah

Medalist
It says here:

http://www.sanspo.com/sports/news/20131110/fig13111004030001-n2.html

that Tatiana's assistant (probably Jaana) is coming to Nagoya soon and there will be amendments made to her choreography, and that she will start practicing a jump layout with two triple-axels in the free program.

Well, it actually makes sense. As long as she is landing them in practice, and it seems that she has good success in practice, it is less pressure for Mao to include two attempts. I think she tenses up just a little in competition and therefore can't land it properly, so if she has two attempts to get into the right state of mind to do it as she does it in practice, then she'll likely succeed one at least. If lucky, she can land both as she did at Vancouver.

I wonder what will be left out? The lutz? Or salchow?

Maybe:

3A 8.5
3A-2T 9.8
3F 5.3
3Lz 6.0
-------------
2A-3T 8.14
3F-2L-2L 9.79
3Lo 5.61

Total BV 53.14

MiRé

Match Penalty
Hm Im guessing she'll keep the program she had at 2010 olympics. She'll probably take 3lz out considering she has that edge problem.

Krislite

Medalist
I thought she was going for 8-triples in the free? To omit the 3Salchow or 3Lutz while doing 2 3Axels would mean only 7 triples max.

3A 8.5
3A-2T 9.8
3F 5.3
3Lz 6.0
-------------
2A-3T 8.14
3F-2L-2L 9.79
3Lo 5.61

For Mao this is actually less ambitious than before, since that 3/3 never materialized in competition.

Icey

Record Breaker
At this weeks' gp she got 6.64 for one 3ax and 4.57 for another. Sorry, i just don't see this as a smart idea unless she executes them flawlessly. At SA she got 7.07 and 3.0. Two out of four attempts have been ur.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
This seems like a bad idea. She can't even do her current layout without making mistakes. Two 3A's is going to make her very tired to do jumps at the end of her program.

hurrah

Medalist
The layout I surmised replaces the 3F-3L attempt with 3A-2T attempt. 3F-3L base value is 10.4 and 3A-2T base value is 9.8. 3F-2L base value, which is what Mao would probably get, is 8.9, so 3A-2T is better.

Also, a successful 3F is worth 5.3 and is worth more than a successful 3S in the second half of the program, worth 4.62. And the quality of her flip has improved to the point where if she does the flip as a single jump early in the program when her legs are not tired, she is likely to get good GOEs.

Putting in three jump passes in the second half rather than four will lessen the burden on her legs, and that should hopefully increase her chances of landing the last three jump passes perfectly.

Mao stated in the same interview (http://daily.co.jp/general/2013/11/10/2p_0006485475.shtml):

「フリーで2回入れられるようにしたい。練習では簡単に跳べるようになっている。自信は80パーセントぐらいある」
'I want to be able to put it (3-axel) twice in the free program. I am now able to jump it easily in practice. I have about 80% confidence.'

Let's not forget, Mao proved the naysayers wrong at Vancouver.

gimble

On the Ice
At the Olympics, judges seem perhaps more lenient (except on Nagasu's SP and Flatt's LP in 2010). So perhaps we will see more jumps being accepted. I hope that all skaters rise to the occasion and skatejump so well that there would be no questions regarding judging at all.

Nena

Rinkside
She's never going to get the 3f-3lo ratified, especially since she can't even rotate her double loops most of the time. So I can understand this change in plans. I hope it works out. I'm going to be so nervous for her at the Olympics. I think she'll either get silver or be off the podium completely.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Asada has made a big mistake not continuing to train the 3Flip+3Toe all these years. A double-footed 3Axel isn't going to be enough to beat Yu-Na if she is on form. The rule changes since Vancouver specially benefit Asada and she hasn't taken advantage of it, just doing Triple-Double combo in the SP.

Trying to go for two 3Axels in the LP is not a good decision, IMO. Her body has ground itself down; she can barely manage to rotate the jump anymore and it is hardly ever landed cleanly. It was great that she accomplished two of them in the past, but what is the point now? She doesn't have enough control over the jump and if she fails to put one of them in combination, then she gets hit with sequence deduction. If she actually started training the 3Flip+3Toe right now, she'd likely have a higher chance of landing it at the Olympics than she does of landing two clean 3Axels (with one in combo).

PftJump

On the Ice
She did 3A 4times this season.

1Fall, 3 two-footed landing(2 ur), but good strategy.

3A, Two footed but not Falling...will give her a Huge Scores without 3-3 comb.

CarneAsada

Medalist
For Mao this is actually less ambitious than before, since that 3/3 never materialized in competition.
The 3/3 materialized twice last season (4CC, WTT). Neither one had the loop ratified, but they looked ok otherwise.

The other major problem (in addition to the others already discussed) with doing this is that in 2009-2010, her solo 3A was usually rotated, but her 3A-2T was downgraded more often than not. Right now, she's having trouble landing even the solo 3A and getting full credit. Unless she is truly capable of doing the solo 3A and the 3A-2T 90% in practice, I don't see the point. But whatever. In 2007-2008, she didn't land a single rotated 3A on her first 2 GP events and her 3F-3Lo was 1 for 4. Last year, she was kind of a mess on the entire GP circuit despite winning. We'll just have to wait and see what she does.

NMURA

Medalist
I want to believe this is just a bluff but Mao is a very straight person, easily gets carried away when she has confidence.

hurrah

Medalist
Mao gave another interview a day after the free and gave a more nuanced answer to the two 3-axel possibility. I translated the whole interview she gave, but boldfaced the parts pertinent to the two triple-axel layout:

http://sportsnavi.yahoo.co.jp/sports/figureskate/all/1314/columndtl/201311100004-spnavi?page=1

There are many hurdles to overcome, so I would like to resolve them by the next competition. In terms of how I practice, I would like to give it all at every practice session to the extent that I leave no reserve for the next practice session. I would like to treat every practice as if it is a competition and skate in that state. My condition this season is really good and I am confident, but anything can happen in competition so I will practice to prepare for any eventuality.

(Re: including two 3-axels) Yesterday, I was running on the feeling that I could do it, but having given it some thought, it is a burdensome endeavor, so I would like to mull over it before I make a decision. (Re: why the second jump in the 3-3 become a double) Same as the axel, there are good days and bad days, so maybe it was not a good day. If I continue to practice it, I feel that it will become more stable. (Re: being the season of culmination of her career) I am not satisfied (with how I am doing so far) and I feel I can go higher.

(Re: what is your ultimate ideal) I recently came to feel that it is possible for me to do two triple-axels, and my ideal is to reach that level. If I can include two triple-axels, in my mind, that is the ultimate level. (Re: looking back at the season thus far, any nagging worries?) I have no worries. I practice so as not to worry, so I trust that if I continue to practice, things will turn out fine.

(Re: Unlike the Vancouver season, you seem to be in fine form) During Vancouver season, I was worried about my jumps, and I could not perform as I wanted to, and in comparison, this season is going well. During Vancouver season, I was not in good condition whether it was practice or competition. I hope to raise my level as if I am climbing a set of stairs. (Re: what is different between then and now) I went back to basics, and all the rework is finally paying off, so it is the culmination of day to day practice that has paid off. Re-starting everything from scratch is truly difficult, and in the midst of the re-work, I was wracked with doubt which made it all the more difficult. I am still not completely done with the rework so I still worry at times, but it has gotten to a point where I can analyze the cause of the mistake and make amendments, so I do not regret going back to basics.

(Re: There are three more months left before Sochi. Does that feel short to you?) I find it short. My present level, including jumps, is nearly stabilized, so I feel I can aim higher. I will include in my program what I feel like including presently. Grand Prix Final is one of the competitions that I have the opportunity to achieve my goal.

(Re: changing costumes) If possible, I would like to make another one. If the new one turns out to be something that I like, I will wear the new one. I like both of the costumes that I have, but in terms of the one that is easier to move in and doesn’t impede my skill, it is the costume I wore this time. The previous costume was heavy and difficult to move in. The fabric was not elastic and so it was hard to move in it. I hope to make the new costume using light fabric that is easy to move in.

(Re: what will you amend in the free program?) I would like to brush up on little things. My focus tends to be on jumps, so as I did with the short program, I would like to work on movements between elements.

(Re: You previously seemed to not like changing things, but now, you are more receptive to change. What happened?) Previously, I lacked the courage to make changes to my routine, but I decided this was not good enough. Changing things such as how I prepare and my shoes have all gone well, and so I now realize that allowing for different ways of thinking enables new doors to be opened.

(Re: Has the way you communicate with Mr. Sato changed?) At first, everything was so new, and I couldn’t do things even though I would try, and I would misunderstand things as well. However, after 1 to 2 years, I could understand my coach’s instruction, and I started being able to do things, and so our relationship now is the result of those days together. I still make mistakes and now I understand what my coach is telling me, and his point is very clear to me. It is one of the things that is supporting me now. (Re: Does Kumiko Sato’s presence help you too?) Coach Kumiko came with me to Canada, and helps me brush up my program. When I tend to over-focus on jumps, Kumiko instructs me on other aspects and is supportive. She has a bright personality and is a humorous teacher.

minze

Medalist
So she is thinking about it. So we cannot the drama and doom predictions. But Mao do what you want👏

hurrah

Medalist
Well, whatever she chooses, we're talking about choosing between an 8-triple layout or 7-triple layout with 2 triple-axels included. Or actually, she could theroetically attempt an 8-triple layout with 2 triple-axels, which... even I think is too much of a dream.

Iscariot

On the Ice
I think everything will be clarify after the grand prix final if she is capable of landing the 8 planned jumps she might keep the same layout as now

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I don't think Mao is capable of an 8-triple program. That being said, a 7-triple program with two 3A is exceptionally impressive and certainly not taking the easy way out.

minze

Medalist
Mao never takes the easy way out. For someone who had the highest scores of season SO FAR, she still aiming to improve her skating