Asada's 3F, 3FLutz, 3T & 2Lo: underrotated or not | Golden Skate

Asada's 3F, 3FLutz, 3T & 2Lo: underrotated or not

szidon

On the Ice
At NHK Trophy FS, Asada didn't lose a chance to showcase her strength, easiness and lightness of her skating.
It was enjoyable to watch.

But, again, when I saw the protocol of ladies' FS, I was amazed by the fact that there were no underrotation call on Asada's 3F, 3Flutz, 3T and 2Lo.

1. 3F+2Lo
I thought Asada's first 3F was O.K. But her 2Lo looked underrotated to me.

3F_start, 3F_landing
2Lo_skid, 2Lo_skid_2, 2Lo_takeoff, 2Lo_landing

2. 3Flutz

3Lutz_start, 3Lutz_start_2, 3Lutz_landing_1, 3Lutz_landing_2

It's interesting to see her use the same deep inside edge when she jumps 3F and 3Flutz.

3. 2A+3T
Asada's 2A was great, but to me her 3T was underrotated.

3T_start, 3T_landing_1, 3T_landing_2, 3T_landing_icemark

The picture titled '3T_landing_icemark' was captured from the different video since it shows a little bit more vivid icemark of Asada's 3T.

4. 3F+2Lo+2Lo

Her second 3F seemed underrotated. Maybe she must be tired.

2nd_3F_start, 2nd_3F_landing

I think I'm not the only person who found Asada's underrotated jumps except her 3A given the broadcating commentaries and the posts in this forum.

Hope eyesight tests should be done before the judges are assigned.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
I have to agree: for me, both her 3T and second 3F were UR, I could easily see it without the slow-motion, and last year she used to receive the marks she deserved, when this year the panels seem to be a lot more generous with Mao... :slink: Anyway, she's wonderful and a couple of UR calls wouldn't make a lot of difference!

bibi24

Final Flight
Thanks szidon for the eye opening experience, sure is nice to be a cut above judges and tech callers.

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
It's fine if you want to discuss these things, but opening a thread for every single program is pretty weird. You can 'view figure skating as a sport' too in the NHK ladies FS thread or at least continue in the 3A thread you already have :unsure:

mary01

Final Flight
szidon, she got everything ratified with positive goe, so live with it, deal with it, and mourn it!

Mao88

Record Breaker
At NHK Trophy FS, Asada didn't lose a chance to showcase her strength, easiness and lightness of her skating.
It was enjoyable to watch.

But, again, when I saw the protocol of ladies' FS, I was amazed by the fact that there were no underrotation call on Asada's 3F, 3Flutz, 3T and 2Lo.

1. 3F+2Lo
I thought Asada's first 3F was O.K. But her 2Lo looked underrotated to me.

3F_start, 3F_landing
2Lo_skid, 2Lo_skid_2, 2Lo_takeoff, 2Lo_landing

2. 3Flutz

3Lutz_start, 3Lutz_start_2, 3Lutz_landing_1, 3Lutz_landing_2

It's interesting to see her use the same deep inside edge when she jumps 3F and 3Flutz.

3. 2A+3T
Asada's 2A was great, but to me her 3T was underrotated.

3T_start, 3T_landing_1, 3T_landing_2, 3T_landing_icemark

The picture titled '3T_landing_icemark' was captured from the different video since it shows a little bit more vivid icemark of Asada's 3T.

4. 3F+2Lo+2Lo

Her second 3F seemed underrotated. Maybe she must be tired.

2nd_3F_start, 2nd_3F_landing

I think I'm not the only person who found Asada's underrotated jumps except her 3A given the broadcating commentaries and the posts in this forum.

Hope eyesight tests should be done before the judges are assigned.

You should have placed this in your original thread, instead of starting a new one. What are you planning to do, start a new thread every time you think Mao has an under-rotated jump?

If you wish to discuss Mao and under-rotated jumps, then please carry on the discussion in one thread instead of starting new ones that congest the board. If this requires a thread title change, then you can PM one of the administrators with a suggested change (i.e. 'Mao Asada: Under-rotated Jumps?')

Bartek

On the Ice
The second flip and 3 toe were definitely underrotated. It was unfair on part of the panel not to call it especially since it wouldn't have made the difference for Mao in the final standings (assuming they wanted to secure her a spectacular score).

Mao88

Record Breaker
The second flip and 3 toe were definitely underrotated. It was unfair on part of the panel not to call it especially since it wouldn't have made the difference for Mao in the final standings (assuming they wanted to secure her a spectacular score).

Individuals with an agenda will see what they want to see. I think the judges got it spot on.

koatcue

Medalist
Country
Russia
Whatever. She was a clear winner there, so overscored or not - the winner is still she, she is delightful to watch. Besides, it's her last season, so I guess the judges will be quite generous to her.

szidon

On the Ice
You should have placed this in your original thread, instead of starting a new one. What are you planning to do, start a new thread every time you think Mao has an under-rotated jump?

If you wish to discuss Mao and under-rotated jumps, then please carry on the discussion in one thread instead of starting new ones that congest the board. If this requires a thread title change, then you can PM one of the administrators with a suggested change (i.e. 'Mao Asada: Under-rotated Jumps?')

You're right. I'll change the thread title.

NMURA

Medalist
another grudge thread from S Korea?

Her remaining competitions are GPF at home and the Olympics with the most lenient panel of all. Don't expect anything "favorable".

elif

Medalist
If someone say ''underotated'' and ''Mao'' same sentence, there is angry posts, name calling and S. Korea sabotage. :laugh:

Selene

On the Ice
All of Mao Asada's "triple" jumps in that LP were underrotated.

Someone posted a video on YouTube that has the slow motion replays of some of her jumps:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0ZT9odZUsE

From that video, I see 3A<, 3F<-2Lo, 3Lz<(e), 2a-3t<<, 3F<-2lo-2lo

The best you can say about Mao Asada's so-called "triple" jumps is that they are all landed directly on that 1/4 short mark (if you are generous). None of her "triples" are landed backwards.

The JSF is politicking hard for Asada to get a gold medal in Sochi, and the ISU has clearly instructed their technical panels to overlook Asada's chronic underrotaton of her "triple" jumps. It really makes me angry to see the treatment that Mirai Nagasu gets vs. Mao Asada, when Mao isn't rotating her jumps any more than Mirai is. Mao is just the media darling in the ISU's biggest market, so technical panels turn a blind eye to her underrotated jumps.

Mao Asada's scoring is really making a mockery of this sport. It's not fair that her competitors are being dinged for underrotations while she gets a free pass. Reward her for her skating skills, spins and steps, but stop pretending she can rotate triple jumps. She can't, and the fact that her cheated triples are being ratified is a disgrace.

Someone posted a video on YouTube that has the slow motion replays of some of her jumps…

Yes, "someone" did.

I can only imagin how many slo-motion and frame-ny-frame videos, with protractors attached to measure degrees of rotation, we will be blest with as the big show approaches. ;)