Best/Most Important Michelle Kwan performances/programs? | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Best/Most Important Michelle Kwan performances/programs?

noskates

Record Breaker
I've loved reading the comments in this thread, seeing the pictures, watching the videos again. Michelle will always be the quintessential figure skater for me - and like someone upthread said, the same with Kurt Browning. Class, grace, and a love of their sport.

Glad some agreed with me about Lyra.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Michelle Kwan is the artiste to Evgeni Plushenko's technician. Just as no skater will ever have Evgeni's jump mastery, so is the same for Michelle's artistry, emotion, and presentation. There will never be another skater like her. She is truly one of a kind and will forever have an unparalleled legacy in the history of figure skating and a special place in my heart. I have so much admiration and respect for her, both as an athlete and a person. :love: :yay: Michelle!!! Michelle looked upon Janet Lynn as an inspiration and influence on her own skating style and it is clear to see that they do share many similar qualities. Both were angels on the ice and off the ice too! :)

skateluvr

Record Breaker
I'd like to believe MK will do something more serious than Dc "lite" and photo ops but she is into skating commentary. her heart will always be with skating. I do not think she has motivation to be an important, serious, or unknown political figure. She loves glamour and being at the skating elite things with Peggy, Doro, Sarah, tara, Carol Heiss etc. MM, it is nice you see some big thing, but I think she will have a child or two and if either Pell does something big, it will be Clay Pell.

MK has known the spotlight and the glamour. I do not think she will even do the Jolie thing in the desert or Africa. Jolie does not eat when she visits starving kids. MK has had a very plush life and been the darling of USFS for years. She will not risk that brand and popularity by real stances in politics. She will do what is "fun." I disagree she will achieve anything like what she did in skating. Aside maybe from kids, I am sure she will glory in her skating all her life, and return to the rink at times to do shows as all the great champions did. Her enormous dia,mond is an ice rink shape. If her body held up, and the comp was not so hard, she would have been there in Vancouver. Michelle is a figure skater. She is not in something like medical school where you really mujst walk away, as you take care of others.

It isn't like she won't accomplish good, but it is largely by showing up as a celebrity or "board sitting." The true heros in DC trying to change the mess are people no one knows. They toil in anonymity 70-80 hours aweek to make some Congressman or Senator look good.

I am hoping she proves me wrong. Also, Sarah Hughes. Now there is a very bright girl, like Flatt. I am waiting for her to do something else spectacular. Tara seems happy to just be involved again and comment. She's a lifer I think.

^ Oh, poo. She's doing fine.

But you may be right that Clay Pell will do something big. He is preparing to run for governor next fall. Google the Providence Journal and search on Clay Pell and you can read all about it. :)

^ Oh, poo. She's doing fine.

But you may be right that Clay Pell will do something big. He is preparing to run for governor next fall. Google the Providence Journal and search on Clay Pell and you can read all about it. :)

Yeah, I heard about that. Very interesting possibilities for the future of both of these people, though I wonder how it will be for Clay to leave the stimulation of DC for a local governor's mansion. In some states, a leading politician often cycles from governor to senator, as I think Bob Kerrey did in Nebraska and Jay Rockefeller did in West Virginia.

Mr. Pell has an opportunity this year in that the current governor (a former Republican turned Independent turned Democrat) is stepping down. Speculation is premature (he says he has to talk it over with his wife :) ), but it appears that he can get the endorsement of the outgoing governor, the support of the educational establishment (i.e., the teachers' unions -- Pell was in charge of foreign language education at the U.S. Department of Education), and in general the backing of the "progressive" wing of the Rhode Island Democratic Party. The knock against him is that he is young (31-32) and has not held elective office before.

Krislite

Medalist
Mr. Pell has an opportunity this year in that the current governor (a former Republican turned Independent turned Democrat) is stepping down. Speculation is premature (he says he has to talk it over with his wife :) ), but it appears that he can get the endorsement of the outgoing governor, the support of the educational establishment (i.e., the teachers' unions -- Pell was in charge of foreign language education at the U.S. Department of Education), and in general the backing of the "progressive" wing of the Rhode Island Democratic Party. The knock against him is that he is young (31-32) and has not held elective office before.

His youth may actually be to his advantage, depending on how many of the voters are disillusioned with the ancient incumbents in office. :biggrin:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
And youth, and for that matter, lack of some other qualifications, are often discounted in the children of politicians - consider the career of Beau Biden, and for that matter, George H W Bush, son of Senator Prescott Bush, and George W Bush, not to mention Jeb Bush.

This is a trend that goes back to the "Divine Right" of kins, I think.

The Pells are a long time Rhode Island political family. The late Senator Pell was responsible for college Pell Grants.

Despite being called the least electable man in America by John F. Kennedy for his many odd habits and beliefs,[21] Pell proved a durable politician.
... Often considered by his opponents to be soft or easygoing, Pell demonstrated his effectiveness as a campaigner.[22] During his first race, when he was accused of carpetbagging, Pell ran newspaper ads featuring a photo of his grand-uncle Duncan Pell, who had served as Lieutenant Governor in the 1860s, thus demonstrating Pell's ties to the state.[23]

Eccentricities

Pell was known for out of the ordinary beliefs and behaviors, including wearing threadbare suits, using public transportation and purchasing low-end used automobiles despite his wealth, and interest in the paranormal.[25] He also wore his father's belt as a memento, despite the fact that Herbert Pell was stouter than the rail-thin Claiborne Pell, requiring Claiborne Pell to wrap the belt around his waist twice to make it fit.[26]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Claiborne_Pell#Eccentricities]

Having family in politics all the way back to the 1860's is a plus for Mr. Pell, at least in RI.

Divine right of kin--I love it!

I think 31 or 32 was Bill Clinton's age the first time he was elected governor of Arkansas. He was self-made, though he had a powerful mentor, William Fulbright (of the Fulbright Scholarships). Clinton himself was, like Pell, an academic star, having been a Rhodes Scholar.

Voters might reason that having a governor with useful ties in Washington, D.C., might be very helpful for Rhode Island.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... Voters might reason that having a governor with useful ties in Washington, D.C., might be very helpful for Rhode Island.

The outgoing governor of Rhode Island, Lincoln Chafee, also is from a political dynasty.
He was mayor of Warwick, R.I., before serving the state as U.S. Senator. He originally filled the Senate vacancy caused by the death of his father, John Chafee (a former R.I. governor). Lincoln Chafee then was elected to a full Senate term in his own right.
According to the obit at the link below, John Chafee's "great-grandfather, Henry Lippitt, was a Rhode Island governor and among his great-uncles were a Rhode Island governor, Charles Lippitt, and United States senator, Henry F. Lippitt."
BTW, the obit says also that John Chafee ran unsuccessfully against Sen. Claiborne Pell in 1972.

And youth, and for that matter, lack of some other qualifications, are often discounted in the children of politicians - consider the career of Beau Biden, and for that matter, George H W Bush, son of Senator Prescott Bush, and George W Bush, not to mention Jeb Bush.

Don't want to turn this thread into a political discussion ... but if the two younger generations of Bushes are mentioned in the same sentence as "lack of qualifications," then they are in very good company with multiple Kennedys. :yes:

I am not a Bush partisan, but fair is fair.

And I would note that a family history of elected office does not preclude competence. :)

Golden, thanks for reminding me that Lincoln Chafee is the outgoing gov. Shame on me for not looking it up. He was a very interesting politician who as a Republican senator voted against many conservative Bush-era measures (including, I think, the Iraq war). He later switched parties for a better fit with his policies.

You're right that a family history of elected office doesn't preclude competence. In the right person, it can enhance competence because the person receives early exposure and training. Certainly in the overall sense, Clay Pell seems to have taken every opportunity to become as accomplished as possible, through the study of languages, law, and other fields. He's not just sitting around with a sense of entitlement, waiting to get things handed to him. In many states there is a family (or more than one family) who is equivalent to the Pells, whose members have served the state well. One interesting "interstate" example is the Rockefellers (can't get any more blue-chip than that), with governors of three states in its history. The Rockefellers as a whole are in fact very active, often anonymously, in philanthropy as well as politics, rarely making the headlines or partying publicly.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
So are they reubs dems or independent. Wow, mm I HAD NO IDEA he was running for gov, a great stepping stone to a run for president. I can see MK doing this wife/first lady thing. She never said a word wrong in all those political years as USFS darling. I think she'd be a very good asset, following in steps of BBush, Laura Bush, Jackie Kennedy, Michelle Obama. Smile, shut up, support the man.

Oh please run Hillary, run!!!!:laugh:

Aw, no reason to pick on Michelle just because she's not Hilary Clinton or Marie Curie. A lot of women are not Hilary Clinton or Marie Curie. Michelle is fine just as she is. :yes:

Aw, no reason to pick on Michelle just because she's not Hilary Clinton or Marie Curie. A lot of women are not Hilary Clinton or Marie Curie. Michelle is fine just as she is. :yes:

And we also don't yet know the full extent of what she will be and do.