Johnny, Tanith and Tara | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Johnny, Tanith and Tara

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States
I probably shouldn't comment because this makes me so irritated. WHY does every gay man or woman have to speak out and/or support the gay rights movement? And as I've said before, I take Johnny for what I see - I think he's an excellent commentator. Could care less what he does in his personal life or what he wears. Not everything is a statement or a political beehive or must be said or done. Why can't people just enjoy the skating aspect of his life and leave the rest out of it? I don't get the need for Johnny to say something about Russia's treatment of the LGBT. He's a figure skater and a commentator and a US citizen - not a politician! He's just landed a very good job that could keep him employed for some time and you expect him to risk it by going all political? There are many gay actors and actresses, singers, Broadway stars, dance celebrities that are gay and are not expected to put their livelihood on the line.

As for Dick Button - to each his own. I thought he was hyper-critical, steeped in the far past, and the minute a skater bobbled he had them done for the event. It was so depressing to listen to him in the later years (especially the Olympics) that I even wrote to the network several times and asked that they find someone else. Any person in this day and age that thinks a beautiful spiral is more important than a triple axel needs to retire!!!

I hope we keep this set of commentators for some time. They're interesting, knowledgeable and enhance the enjoyment of the competition.

But like I said - to each his own!

Gay people in Russia are suffering; they don't the "to each his own" option to live their lives. If you are "irriated" so be it.

Sjs5572

Final Flight
I probably shouldn't comment because this makes me so irritated. WHY does every gay man or woman have to speak out and/or support the gay rights movement? And as I've said before, I take Johnny for what I see - I think he's an excellent commentator. Could care less what he does in his personal life or what he wears. Not everything is a statement or a political beehive or must be said or done. Why can't people just enjoy the skating aspect of his life and leave the rest out of it? I don't get the need for Johnny to say something about Russia's treatment of the LGBT. He's a figure skater and a commentator and a US citizen - not a politician! He's just landed a very good job that could keep him employed for some time and you expect him to risk it by going all political? There are many gay actors and actresses, singers, Broadway stars, dance celebrities that are gay and are not expected to put their livelihood on the line.

As for Dick Button - to each his own. I thought he was hyper-critical, steeped in the far past, and the minute a skater bobbled he had them done for the event. It was so depressing to listen to him in the later years (especially the Olympics) that I even wrote to the network several times and asked that they find someone else. Any person in this day and age that thinks a beautiful spiral is more important than a triple axel needs to retire!!
I hope we keep this set of commentators for some time. They're interesting, knowledgeable and enhance the enjoyment of the competition.

There's a difference between being apolitical and kissing up to Russia, just so he can tour with Plushenko. In his commentary for the Cup of Russia he blamed the Olympics / Gay issue on the Western media. Might I add, if it wasn't for the Western media, the sports minister would not have backtracked on his statements about prosecuting gay athletes under the law!

Johnny wants it both ways....heretofore, he got appearance fees at Gay venues, while at the same time promoting his career through political silence and/or unabashed Russia adulation. I doubt many more appearance fees will be forthcoming from the gay community!

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States
Johnny is speaking at Barnard College (sister college of Columbia University) on Mon Dec 2 (tomorrow) and there will be a protest against his silence on the issue. The protest will be at 117th and Broadway at 5:30.
Johnny is very capable of being political when he wants to be. The LGBT community is being treated viciously now in Russia. The protest is to urge him to say something.

The beauty of being an American is that Johnny has the right to take a political stance when and if he chooses too. Bullying tactics to push someone else's agenda imo isn't the right way to go for Weir or anyone else. I doubt this protest is going to make him speak up or act any differently than he has.

As for Dick Button - to each his own. I thought he was hyper-critical, steeped in the far past, and the minute a skater bobbled he had them done for the event. It was so depressing to listen to him in the later years (especially the Olympics) that I even wrote to the network several times and asked that they find someone else. Any person in this day and age that thinks a beautiful spiral is more important than a triple axel needs to retire!!!

I've been wondering the same thing.

And if Weir wants to 'kiss up' to this one or that one in order to skate in shows so be it. That too is his right. He can live his life however he chooses to. It's no one else's business although they try to make it so because Johnny has something of celebrity.

noskates

Record Breaker
The beauty of being an American is that Johnny has the right to take a political stance when and if he chooses too. Bullying tactics to push someone else's agenda imo isn't the right way to go for Weir or anyone else. I doubt this protest is going to make him speak up or act any differently than he has.

And if Weir wants to 'kiss up' to this one or that one in order to skate in shows so be it. That too is his right. He can live his life however he chooses to. It's no one else's business although they try to make it so because Johnny has something of celebrity.

Couldn't agree more. And just so people don't continue to think Johnny is callous and uncaring, I do believe he and his husband have a foundation to help out young people IN THE US deal with being issues they face in school because they are homosexual. And that has been blessed by the LGBT. Charity should always begin at home in my mind!!!

Matilda

Medalist
I detest the Russian anti-gay laws, but I have a serious question to all who think that Johnny--or anyone else in a similar position as he--should protest the laws in some fashion in Sochi: how will it benefit the Russian LGBT movement if he says he will protest? The likely consequences are that he will not get a visa to go to Sochi. Should NBC nevertheless manage to get him a visa to go to Sochi, I dare say he would not be likely to get one later to skate in Plushenko's shows in Russia. How will this help the Russian LGBT community?

Johnny has said he finds the laws disgusting--but there are ways to support the Russian LGBT community without risking one's career. He said he has been in touch with people from Russian LGBT communities to find out how he can help. Frankly, I think there's a lot he can do by just being himself: a beloved gay skater, embraced by sports broadcasting as an expert at the Olympics or touring the country with a Russian skating legend who embraces him as a friend sends a strong message of acceptance and puts a positive face on the "western gay influence" that many Russians seem to fear. It will not give attention to the US LGBT communities or help the members feel good for having "done something", but it may be helpful for the RUSSIAN LGBT community in the long run.

By all means, do protest, if you think it helps, but do consider there may be other equally or more effective ways for others to help behind the scenes (I'm not saying I know Johnny IS doing something--I don't know if he is--but I'm saying there is no single right way to help). Just because someone says they don't think the Olympics are a place for protest does not mean they don't care or that they are not doing anything to help.

Finally, I agree with noskates: Johnny, like every other person, has a right to choose the battles he wishes to fight.

Sjs5572

Final Flight
Let me make myself clear, I don't expect Johnny to protest in Sochi. However, at the same time, by blaming this issue on the Western media, he becomes a defacto tool of the Russian government and the IOC.

I wish Johnny would have said something like, “I respect the views of those who hope to use the Olympic games to call attention to rights abuses in Russia, but as for me, I plan to focus on the athletic contests.”

By saying instead that the purity of the Olympic games should not be corrupted by – ugh – the real world, well, to me this is sort of pontificating, presenting one’s personal view as somehow morally superior to the views of others.

But then again, Johnny didn’t ask me for my opinion. ;)

wordsworthgirl

Medalist
I detest the Russian anti-gay laws, but I have a serious question to all who think that Johnny--or anyone else in a similar position as he--should protest the laws in some fashion in Sochi: how will it benefit the Russian LGBT movement if he says he will protest? The likely consequences are that he will not get a visa to go to Sochi. Should NBC nevertheless manage to get him a visa to go to Sochi, I dare say he would not be likely to get one later to skate in Plushenko's shows in Russia. How will this help the Russian LGBT community?

Johnny has said he finds the laws disgusting--but there are ways to support the Russian LGBT community without risking one's career. He said he has been in touch with people from Russian LGBT communities to find out how he can help. Frankly, I think there's a lot he can do by just being himself: a beloved gay skater, embraced by sports broadcasting as an expert at the Olympics or touring the country with a Russian skating legend who embraces him as a friend sends a strong message of acceptance and puts a positive face on the "western gay influence" that many Russians seem to fear. It will not give attention to the US LGBT communities or help the members feel good for having "done something", but it may be helpful for the RUSSIAN LGBT community in the long run.

By all means, do protest, if you think it helps, but do consider there may be other equally or more effective ways for others to help behind the scenes (I'm not saying I know Johnny IS doing something--I don't know if he is--but I'm saying there is no single right way to help). Just because someone says they don't think the Olympics are a place for protest does not mean they don't care or that they are not doing anything to help.

Finally, I agree with noskates: Johnny, like every other person, has a right to choose the battles he wishes to fight.

I completely agree with you. I also think that people are focusing too much on one comment during a commentating event, one which, let's be honest here, Tara jumped in and seconded. I have seen Johnny interviewed by Thomas Roberts (a gay journalist) and by others about this very issue, and his statement/position is clear, and it's correct: let's not blame the Russian PEOPLE or country for laws that are awful, terrible, and wrong. His love of Russia is not in any way compromising his ability to speak out on this issue, nor is it making him "kiss Russia's ***" or "kiss Plushenko's ***" etc. Do you think Plushenko supports this law? I'm SURE he does not, or he would not invite Johnny to skate on his tour! :) Johnny's mere presence in Russia as an openly gay man, married to another gay man who will be traveling with him, is a far more effective political statement than his refusal to go there at all. He told Thomas Roberts that he will not hide his marriage, he will be himself, and if he gets arrested, then he gets arrested- he's willing to take the risk. If he DID get arrested, wouldn't that be one of the most powerful correctives to the law that could possibly be? The world would rise up in outrage.

The comment he made during Cup of Russia was not about whether or not the law was right. He has made it eminently clear elsewhere that he finds the law offensive, noxious, and unjust. The comment he made was about whether or not there should be a boycott- and I and most of the other athletes agree with him that there should not. He was emphasizing the unlikelihood of anything happening to an athlete and the importance of respecting these athletes' life-long dreams and dedication. He gave one television interview on this subject in August, long before he got the commentating gig, and he was adamant and crystal clear in his scorn of the law and his empathy for LGBT community in Russia.

And yes, he and Victor do indeed have a foundation to help LGBT youth who are bullied or tormented for being gay.

As the sister of a gay man and the friend of innumerable gay and lesbian people, I find his stance both ethical and effective.

Matilda

Medalist
Bumping up this thread, due to this tweet by USFSA:

‏@USFigureSkating

IMPORTANT: How to watch the 2014 Prudential U.S. Figure Skating Championships >> http://usfigu.re/HowToView NBC Schedule: pic.twitter.com/eU2KtAzoBA

From the link content:
"Television
The 2014 U.S. Championships will have eight hours of live, high-definition coverage of senior-level events on NBC. NBC will also air the Smucker’s Skating Spectacular, from 4‒6 p.m. (ET) on Saturday, Jan. 18. NBC’s broadcast team will consist of Tom Hammond and Terry Gannon (play-by-play), Scott Hamilton (analyst), Sandra Bezic (analyst), Tracy Wilson (analyst) and Andrea Joyce (reporter)."

I would much rather listen to Johnny, Tara, and Tanith--they actually provide analysis and also help casual viewers understand the sport better. I think this is a really bad move from NBC ahead of the Olympics.:disapp: Now is the time to build excitement--fresh perspective and enjoyable commentary would do that. Everyone I know absolutely hates Hamilton's grunting and screeching. Oh well, I'll just stick with IN then. :scowl:

lcd

Match Penalty
Yay for Terry Gannon!

He was the anchor host for the Speed Skating short track trials this weekend. Busy and talented guy!

Matilda

Medalist
Yay for Terry Gannon!

He was the anchor host for the Speed Skating short track trials this weekend. Busy and talented guy!

I love Terry too--but I'd rather have him with Johnny and Tara. I think I'm allergic to Scott's voice...

breathesgelatin

Final Flight
I'm so over Scott, as a commentator at least. I'm really hoping they're grooming Johnny to become his replacement.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Bumping up this thread, due to this tweet by USFSA:

‏@USFigureSkating

IMPORTANT: How to watch the 2014 Prudential U.S. Figure Skating Championships >> http://usfigu.re/HowToView NBC Schedule: pic.twitter.com/eU2KtAzoBA

From the link content:
"Television
The 2014 U.S. Championships will have eight hours of live, high-definition coverage of senior-level events on NBC. NBC will also air the Smucker’s Skating Spectacular, from 4‒6 p.m. (ET) on Saturday, Jan. 18. NBC’s broadcast team will consist of Tom Hammond and Terry Gannon (play-by-play), Scott Hamilton (analyst), Sandra Bezic (analyst), Tracy Wilson (analyst) and Andrea Joyce (reporter)."

I would much rather listen to Johnny, Tara, and Tanith--they actually provide analysis and also help casual viewers understand the sport better. I think this is a really bad move from NBC ahead of the Olympics.:disapp: Now is the time to build excitement--fresh perspective and enjoyable commentary would do that. Everyone I know absolutely hates Hamilton's grunting and screeching. Oh well, I'll just stick with IN then. :scowl:

Why would they have two play by play guys? Tom Hammond adds nothing i think they need to just stick with Gannon.

Sochi_2014

On the Ice
Tara is knowledgable, but not exciting in her commentary like Scott and Terry. NBC definitely made the right choice.

justathoughtabl

Spectator
New poster here. It's my understanding that in addition to commentating for Nationals, Scott and Sandra will be doing the prime time commentating for the Olympics (skating that happened earlier in the day, given the time change) on NBC. Johnny and Tara will be doing live commentary for skating on NBC Sports Network (NBCSN), which will be on daytimes. That's the understanding I got from one of the press releases. Personally, I prefer Johnny and Tara. I'm thinking this was a contractual thing, set up at the start of the season. So while a lot of people might like Johnny and Tara, they have been set as the "second tier" team from the beginning. Maybe things will change after Scott and Sandra's contract is up.