Men SP - 2013 Trophee Eric Bompard | Page 13 | Golden Skate

Men SP - 2013 Trophee Eric Bompard

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Mrs P., your desire to send Jason to Sochi so he can do the short in the Team Event is getting further validation!
He has to be pretty clean, Jason in the free though to have much of a chance to go to Oly's Remember he did well at his last competiton in the short to beforeimploding somewhat.

wordsworthgirl

Medalist
He has to be pretty clean, Jason in the free though to have much of a chance to go to Oly's Remember he did well at his last competiton in the short to beforeimploding somewhat.

yes, I agree. and I do remember the uncharacteristically off long he had in Skate America- you could tell he was SO nervous. However, at Nebelhorn Trophy, where he won the silver behind Oda, he skated brilliantly in both the short and long. I am sending him all good luck vibes I can! love him!

Mao88

Record Breaker
MEN'S SHORT PROGRAM - VIDEOS (By Starting Order) - Updated

Warm-Up Group 1

1. Nan SONG (CHN) Short Program
2. Jason BROWN (USA) Short Program, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy
3. Alexander MAJOROV (SWE) Short Program
4. Han YAN (CHN) Short Program, 2nd Copy

Warm-Up Group 2

5. Florent AMODIO (FRA) Short Program
6. Michal BREZINA (CZE) Short Program
7. Patrick CHAN (CAN) Short Program, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy, 4th Copy
8. Yuzuru HANYU (JPN) Short Program, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy, 4th Copy

RESULT

Overall Result, Segment Result, Protocols

emdee

Final Flight
Ice Diva, I agree with you re Jason and Patrick AND Hanyu- he is overrated/overmarked at this stage in his development- he IS sloppy, unfinished, and needs a few more years to develop. I almost don't want him to succeed on too big a scale this year because he won't be pushed to improve. I would love it if he was a contender NEXT Olympic Cycle, but he is not at the level of Patrick or Daisuke right now.
I am a big Patrick fan but I do enjoy Hanyu too.
I think Hanyu has raw talent and lacks Patrick's SS and grace. But the kid is young. If he remains injury free he could be something really special.

Mirunna

Record Breaker
Patrick and Yuzuru were amazing! All the scores this season are going up, it's a general thing, I am ok with the them. Not a Chan huge fan but when he skates like that, oh boy! I hope this time Patrick keeps up with the good skating and does not melt down like he did at Worlds. Good skating calls for more good skating!

Art&Sport

Medalist
I am waiting for the day when your bubble of ecstacy will burst. Your constant demeaning outbursts of other skaters see that you deserve your bit some day. It will come. The ice is slippery.

Yes, some people have really personal not nice things to say about your favorite skaters, but I don't think what karne said was all that bad, just her personal opinion, which some might agree with, and others agree with in part or totally disagree with. Does speaking ill of karne and others who have more negative things to say, and wishing ill on them and their favorites actually help matters? Maybe it would help more not to take others slightly critical or overly negative comments too too personally (which is hard sure if we are emotionally invested in our favorites). For me, the judges blind love for Chan with or without errors is unfortunately what has caused a great deal of protective love/ animus for and against Patrick, largely unfair to him on both counts. The way anything in figure skating having to do with Chan seems to have this ongoing virulent subtext is truly unfortunate, especially in a sport where fierce emotional debate is already the order of the day for each competition.

I certainly plead guilty to not being able to truly enjoy watching Patrick without thinking, "It doesn't matter how well or how poorly he performs since the judges love him, and he's likely to win or medal at every comp he enters, no matter what anyone else does." Again, that's unfortunate and definitely not Patrick's fault. At the Olympics, they should probably hold a special gold medal ceremony for both Patrick and Volosozhar/ Trankov before the men and pairs competitions begin.

It's great for Patrick that he performed well at TEB and I hope he continues to throughout the season all the way to the Olympics so he can truly feel proud and not apologetic when his dream comes true. Patrick is definitely a great talent and its sad that overhype and overscoring has led to some fans turning against him, and to some of his many fans being over-protective and over-sensitive to every mild or major criticism or negative viewpoint about his skating or his scores.

Art&Sport

Medalist
Well we all love Jason, so... :)

Here you go from 2011-2012 JGPF, which he won:http://youtu.be/IYtxwK2wJrg

:laugh:

Bonus: his FS from 2012 junior worlds: http://youtu.be/Cd7yqXZe96s

Oh, thanks so much Mrs. P. I came back to this thread to fulfill my promise to worthsworthgirl, so thanks for already doing so with a bonus. :)

Wonderful to see Jason B on the podium at TEB with Patrick Chan and Yuzuru Hanyu.

And here is another exquisite performance from Jason at 2013 Junior Worlds:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjttZqY3rvA

Oh my! I must say that the difference for me between watching Jason Brown perform and watching most other skaters is that with Jason I not only hear the music, but the way he performs makes me also feel the music in its every nuance. Such a beautiful performance, touching and evocative with the melancholy music brightened by Jason's youthful brilliance and great promise. :)

I so love this program by Jason. It's especially endearing since it kind of fulfills what we all missed seeing Johnny Weir perform during the 2005-2006 Olympic season (when Johnny decided for mysterious reasons not to perform to Liebstraume picked for him by Tatiana Tarasova. He later said he just didn't like the music, but I think there's more to it than that. If it was that he just didn't like the music, boy was Johnny wrong-headed in going with elevator music for his Fallen Angel long program that season -- a program which he later dropped due to criticism just two weeks before the Olympics to retread Otonal. That penultimate switch may have made the difference between Johnny going blank with nerves in his free at the 2006 Olympics with Otonal for which at that point he lacked good muscle memory, and possibly taking the silver behind Plush's judge-favored gold, with at least the solid if oft-criticized Fallen Angel program Johnny'd been performing to all season long). Of course, I would have preferred if Johnny had kept Liebstraume from the start. He may have switched to the Fallen Angel program post-fed interference after their 2005 summer review.

Ha ha. Well, I wouldn't describe what happened to Jason in the Skate America free as imploding necessarily. He certainly was more nervous than he usually is, with the position he was in at SA in his senior GPF debut, and he did make a number of minor missteps. He didn't skate his best but it wasn't so horrible IMO to warrant being deemed an implosion. If you describe what happened to Jason there as an implosion, would that we all could implode in such a fashion, and moreover learn from the experience in the way that Jason obviously did! :)

spikydurian

Medalist
Yes, some people have really personal not nice things to say about your favorite skaters, but I don't think what karne said was all that bad, just her personal opinion, which some might agree with, and others agree with in part or totally disagree with. Does speaking ill of karne and others who have more negative things to say, and wishing ill on them and their favorites actually help matters? Maybe it would help more not to take others slightly critical or overly negative comments too too personally (which is hard sure if we are emotionally invested in our favorites). For me, the judges blind love for Chan with or without errors is unfortunately what has caused a great deal of protective love/ animus for and against Patrick, largely unfair to him on both counts. The way anything in figure skating having to do with Chan seems to have this ongoing virulent subtext is truly unfortunate, especially in a sport where fierce emotional debate is already the order of the day for each competition.

Fierce debate is one thing, making uncalled for remarks is another. You can uber anyone you like to your heart's content but if you choose to throw vicious and uncalled for remarks be prepared to take some in return on your favourite skaters. I don't see how you and Karne reserves the moral right to talk about 'fairness in debate and virulence'. Look at both of your past posts.:rolleye:

And in your own admission, the attack on Patrick is based on jealousies rather than logic. Also in your own words, we are invested in our own favourites so I want to see how Karne will feel if the table is turned against her ie. people accusing the judges of favouring her favourites. ;)

Emdee said:
I think Hanyu has raw talent and lacks Patrick's SS and grace. But the kid is young. If he remains injury free he could be something
I agree with Emdee. I am in awe with this kid's talent. I believe he will place at Japan Nationals. It takes Patrick many years post National champion to get where he is today. Hanyu is already a force to be reckon with and will continue to be a powerful force barring any serious injuries. His nemesis is his asthma. Hopes he gets his physical condition sorted out.

Becki

Medalist
I think Hanyu has raw talent and lacks Patrick's SS and grace. But the kid is young. If he remains injury free he could be something really special.

Hanyu has youth of his side, he's exactly 4 years younger than Patrick. Give him a few years time, and I have confidence he'll be a more mature and polished skater :p (dominating the field hehehe)

wordsworthgirl

Medalist
Oh, thanks so much Mrs. P. I came back to this thread to fulfill my promise to worthsworthgirl, so thanks for already doing so with a bonus. :)

Wonderful to see Jason B on the podium at TEB with Patrick Chan and Yuzuru Hanyu.

And here is another exquisite performance from Jason at 2013 Junior Worlds:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjttZqY3rvA

Oh my! I must say that the difference for me between watching Jason Brown perform and watching most other skaters is that with Jason I not only hear the music, but the way he performs makes me also feel the music in its every nuance. Such a beautiful performance, touching and evocative with the melancholy music brightened by Jason's youthful brilliance and great promise. :)

I so love this program by Jason. It's especially endearing since it kind of fulfills what we all missed seeing Johnny Weir perform during the 2005-2006 Olympic season (when Johnny decided for mysterious reasons not to perform to Liebstraume picked for him by Tatiana Tarasova. He later said he just didn't like the music, but I think there's more to it than that. If it was that he just didn't like the music, boy was Johnny wrong-headed in going with elevator music for his Fallen Angel long program that season -- a program which he later dropped due to criticism just two weeks before the Olympics to retread Otonal. That penultimate switch may have made the difference between Johnny going blank with nerves in his free at the 2006 Olympics with Otonal for which at that point he lacked good muscle memory, and possibly taking the silver behind Plush's judge-favored gold, with at least the solid if oft-criticized Fallen Angel program Johnny'd been performing to all season long). Of course, I would have preferred if Johnny had kept Liebstraume from the start. He may have switched to the Fallen Angel program post-fed interference after their 2005 summer review.

Ha ha. Well, I wouldn't describe what happened to Jason in the Skate America free as imploding necessarily. He certainly was more nervous than he usually is, with the position he was in at SA in his senior GPF debut, and he did make a number of minor missteps. He didn't skate his best but it wasn't so horrible IMO to warrant being deemed an implosion. If you describe what happened to Jason there as an implosion, would that we all could implode in such a fashion, and moreover learn from the experience in the way that Jason obviously did! :)

Thank you so so much, Art and Sport, for your thoughtfulness, and for sharing this GORGEOUS performance of Jason's!

I also agree with you that his performance at Skate America was not an implosion- it was a program without triple Axels. As others have said, Jason cannot afford to lose his Triple Axel because he does not have the quad. He still skated with energy and flair and delivered a compelling program. I just love him so much!

emdee

Final Flight
The difference between Jason and Chan is this: Jason feels the music, breathes the music, moves with the music. Chan kinda waves his arms around pretending to hear the music but really is a cold fish to it.

Because Chan doesn't emote outwardly doesn't make him a cold fish....only Tess can make that determination.

How do you know he pretends to hear the music.
If you see him live in some of the shows you will see how musical he is.

Have you seen him live at all? Or maybe you are an armchair critic?

mercury

Rinkside
Patrick Chan is not a "look at me, look at me" sort of "artist", like Dai. It does not mean his artistry is any less powerful.

In this year's programs his skater feet express all the nuances, everything that is of the music which extend to his whole body line. The strokes and lines on the ice are poetic. Such music is definitely not for a Amodio or Murakami, as it's not about twisting bodies, flinging arms, or giving the audience & judges a flying kiss or the eye -- it is not about "drama". On the other hand, pieces like Mannish Boy is a waste on Chan really. If Chan continues after Sochi, I hope someday he'll do a Bach say one of the cello concertos. He'll do it justice.

By the way I'm not even a Chan fan. It's only the last weekend that I'm mezmerised and completely convinced of him (funny what two clean programs could do ....the programs of elite male skaters are so difficult nowadays!) Still not his fan, I claim, but I'm a skating fan. With someone this good in this eccentric sport we love, one just have to love what he does and give him the credit he deserves -- every bit of it.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
The difference between Jason and Chan is this: Jason feels the music, breathes the music, moves with the music. Chan kinda waves his arms around pretending to hear the music but really is a cold fish to it.

Who knew a cold fish could score 46.18 and 96.50 points of PCS!

I'm sure you're one of those people who sits watching Chan with bated breath hoping that he'll make a mistake. :rolleye:

I would give anything to have seen the undoubtedly sour, stank grimaces on your face (and on the faces of his haters) after his perfect skates at TEB. :rofl:

Ice Diva

On the Ice

I'm sure you're one of those people who sits watching Chan with bated breath hoping that he'll make a mistake. :rolleye:

I would give anything to have seen the undoubtedly sour, stank grimaces on your face (and on the faces of his haters) after his perfect skates at TEB. :rofl:

:agree: or bring out their crystal balls so they, like the extraordinarily talented Karne, can actually get inside Chan's mind and know that he's actually thinking "I will ignore my music ..." ;)

emdee

Final Flight

Me too!
Sky fly PT fan et al have been quietly biting their tongues and maybe gnashing their teeth as well.

Hope he has many more excellent skates.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Patrick Chan is not a "look at me, look at me" sort of "artist", like Dai. It does not mean his artistry is any less powerful.

In this year's programs his skater feet express all the nuances, everything that is of the music which extend to his whole body line. The strokes and lines on the ice are poetic. Such music is definitely not for a Amodio or Murakami, as it's not about twisting bodies, flinging arms, or giving the audience & judges a flying kiss or the eye -- it is not about "drama". On the other hand, pieces like Mannish Boy is a waste on Chan really. If Chan continues after Sochi, I hope someday he'll do a Bach say one of the cello concertos. He'll do it justice.

By the way I'm not even a Chan fan. It's only the last weekend that I'm mezmerised and completely convinced of him (funny what two clean programs could do ....the programs of elite male skaters are so difficult nowadays!) Still not his fan, I claim, but I'm a skating fan. With someone this good in this eccentric sport we love, one just have to love what he does and give him the credit he deserves -- every bit of it.

Interesting, that's how I describe Patrick's artistry. It's introspective - he draws the audience in, instead of projecting out to the audience with histrionics/posing/showmanship (which of course works for some skaters).

I love how many converts (Chanverts?) have been made at TEB on this board. :biggrin: Come on, sky_fly/karne/pangtongfan, there's still time for you to be saved! :laugh:

mercury

Rinkside
Interesting, that's how I describe Patrick's artistry. It's introspective - he draws the audience in, instead of projecting out to the audience with histrionics/posing/showmanship (which of course works for some skaters).

I love how many converts (Chanverts?) have been made at TEB on this board. :biggrin: Come on, sky_fly/karne/pangtongfan, there's still time for you to be saved! :laugh:

"Introvert" or showman, the importance is the ability to feel and suitably interpret the music.

Chan did it at TEB, with one of the most beloved pieces of classical baroque music. One thing about baroque music it just doesn't tolerate "overacting". That's why they are a minority in figure skating as its subtleness demands tremendous quality and execution from their programs to be able to get to audience. But done well, they touch on the very inner core of one's being, just as the music is meant to be.

And I have always loved Dai. Who can forget his 2012 world's LP?

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Me too!
Sky fly PT fan et al have been quietly biting their tongues and maybe gnashing their teeth as well.

Hope he has many more excellent skates.

so I'm suppose to be excited now with his now hyper inflated PCS ? :rolleye:

emdee

Final Flight
so I'm suppose to be excited now with his now hyper inflated PCS ? :rolleye:

I am sure excitement is not the word. Anger and venom are closer to describing the scene.

All I say is give credit where its due and not these anti Canadian rants.