Men SP - 2013 Trophee Eric Bompard | Page 10 | Golden Skate

Men SP - 2013 Trophee Eric Bompard

sweetskates1

Medalist
I usually find Patrick Chan to be a tasteless, salt-less fancy meal with all the technique and none of the flavor. Today, however, I closed my eyes with him at the beginning of the SP and fully enjoyed the ride... He was amazing - if he skates like that, I will not be as annoyed when he is awarded the OGM.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
It is very interesting to see how Yuzuru and Patrick are scored back to back both skating clean. This should be an inclination for Sochi. I think Patrick deserves his scores and is better than Yuzuru, even if it is just 3 points. Sure it makes things a bit uninteresting, but on the other hand, what are 3 points really? We can see tomorrow what will happen in the free. Sadly, for me this means that Daisuke will have no chances of ever winning over Patrick again, even when both are clean. And in the Olympics I want ALL the men to have their personal best performance! I don't want anyone to win over another, just because that person made mistakes. And when they are all clean, it is clear that Patrick will beat them all - no matter what. And that's fair.

SaraM

Final Flight
Country
Norway
The audience went nuts for jason. He got a huge standing O, even more than patrick.. but watching patrick, yuzuru and jason skate live is incredible!

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
The audience went nuts for jason. He got a huge standing O, even more than patrick.. but watching patrick, yuzuru and jason skate live is incredible!

What a lucky girl you are Sara! Thanks for the report. :)

Can't wait to see Jason live in a few months. Yuzuru is great live and I'm sure Patrick is too....

spikydurian

Medalist
I didn't say there was anything wrong with Patrick's 3-axel in this performance. But we all know that the 3-axel is not Patrick's best jump. It is a difficult jump for him to be perfect on consistently, so kudos he did a great job here, and he often does well with it which is the mark of a champion skater (overcoming problem areas). IMO, Patrick's admitted difficulty with motivation at times in the recent past has to do with the fact that the judges have consistently told him he's perfect and better than everyone else, even when he makes mistakes. By now, I suppose Patrick has come to grips with the judges' assessment that he has nothing much to work on. I suppose Patrick has found a way to motivate himself without worrying too much about the scores which obviously will always be there for him no matter what.
This is nonsense. Did he say that the scores he got demotivate him? Is motivation related to good scores? If there is a correlation, it is likely that consistent low scores may demotivate via decreasing confidence than good scores. He has given an insight into his state for mind but I don't expect you to understand or read since you don't like him and I a not going about to explain since haterz won't be interested but I want to correct your misinformation about Chan on skating forums. Everyone's state of mind in facing pressure and motivation is different. One can only wonder why bionic Plushenko keeps skating despite having achieved so much. If your theory rings true, then Plushenko shouldn't be motivated.

The 3A is not Patrick's most consistent does not equate to a flawed jump.

SaraM

Final Flight
Country
Norway
Yes it really was an incredible event. And this debate going on is just stupid, i was there and watched both patrick and yuzu back to back, and im actually more of a yuzuru fan.. but patrick and that sp he skated today... well thats the reason why i love this sport, brought a tear to my eye. Deserving score, rightfully higher than yuzu

DannyCurry

On the Ice
Yes it really was an incredible event. And this debate going on is just stupid, i was there and watched both patrick and yuzu back to back, and im actually more of a yuzuru fan.. but patrick and that sp he skated today... well thats the reason why i love this sport, brought a tear to my eye. Deserving score, rightfully higher than yuzu

I was there as well, but I'm not a Yuzuru fan, and it's not his costume today that will change my mind.

Patrick's performance was TERRIFIC. The best I've seen live. Obviously, the music is chill-inducing, but his interpretation is perfect. When I saw the slo-mo of his 3 axel in the arena, I thought that it was slightly UR-ed though, but from the protocols I can see it was ratified so I guess I was wrong.

Han Yan: Another skater that I love. However, even if his program is well-choreographed, he didn't sell it well. Too bad, because he's super-talented on jumps and has really good SS. Of course, he's still young so he has time to learn how to enjoy performing and skate with his soul.

Amodio: That 4 sal attempt was not that bad actually, considering he could not nail one in the warm-up. Surprised by his mistake on the lutz though. Stupid jingoistic crowd who booed the judges. As if he deserved a higher placement :frown:

emma

Record Breaker
I was able to watch the top four thanks to the videos Mao88 posted (thank Mao!). I am speechless - I am really speechless. What an amazing event and amazing skaters. Wow just wow. I am beyond thrilled to see Jason skate like this. Hanyu's 3 axel is crazy good. I like this program for him - there is just something about his lanky body and the way he uses it that doesn't quite grab me in the aesthetic sense; but his skills and athleticism do and he was on!

Patrick - wow, just wow, and wow again. I cried buckets so many times watching Michelle Kwan skate - but have very rarely teared up or cried with the men. Chan got me teary today. That was truly incredible. Wow is all I can say (and maybe, I hope Buttle is feeling proud - he did the choreo, right?).

Mao88

Record Breaker
MEN'S SHORT PROGRAM - VIDEOS (By Starting Order) - Updated

Warm-Up Group 1

1. Nan SONG (CHN) Short Program
2. Jason BROWN (USA) Short Program, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy
3. Alexander MAJOROV (SWE) Short Program
4. Han YAN (CHN) Short Program, 2nd Copy

Warm-Up Group 2

5. Florent AMODIO (FRA) Short Program
6. Michal BREZINA (CZE) Short Program
7. Patrick CHAN (CAN) Short Program, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy
8. Yuzuru HANYU (JPN) Short Program, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy

RESULT

Overall Result, Segment Result, Protocols

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia

Thanks Mao, I love the people who put it on Dailymotion so we can actually experience it properly. Stupid Prince.

JASON IS BRILLIANT. May have flailed excitedly and almost fallen out of bed when I woke up and read the results. He is just wonderful! I still hate the music but I love the program so much! Every time he gives me something new to boggle over, and this time it was the spins - I swear he was spinning faster than I've ever seen him this time. He's so adorably happy!

I noticed he learned a lesson from Skate America and brought his glasses into the kiss and cry so he could actually see the score this time! Although his little squint-and-ask-Kori at Skate America was pretty cute. He's a really smart guy, I hope he learned one other lesson from SkAm and we get to see Riverdance at full pelt tomorrow!

I think it's a ripoff his "interpretation" mark is nearly two whole points lower than Chan's. At least Jason FEELS the music and doesn't just skate around like a cold fish. (The gap on PE is pretty rude too.)

Art&Sport

Medalist
This is nonsense. Did he say that the scores he got demotivate him? Is motivation related to good scores? If there is a correlation, it is likely that consistent low scores may demotivate via decreasing confidence than good scores. He has given an insight into his state for mind but I don't expect you to understand or read since you don't like him and I a not going about to explain since haterz won't be interested but I want to correct your misinformation about Chan on skating forums. Everyone's state of mind in facing pressure and motivation is different. One can only wonder why bionic Plushenko keeps skating despite having achieved so much. If your theory rings true, then Plushenko shouldn't be motivated.

The 3A is not Patrick's most consistent does not equate to a flawed jump.

Oh, you're so touchy, touchy about any perceived slight when it comes to Patrick Chan. Yes, ITA that "everyone's state of mind in facing pressure and motivation is different." Again, it's all relative. It's just as likely that consistent low scores may serve to motivate if a skater actually has good feedback in terms of where the judges feel that skater needs improvement. OTOH, if the skater feels like they've been working hard to improve on weaknesses and have made progress, but are still consistently scored low then yes that might lead to low confidence and motivation setbacks for some. For others who are more self-motivated, they may be even more determined and diligent about finding ways to simply prove the judges wrong. There are all kinds of people and all kinds of situations. What I expressed about Patrick is my own impression and opinion. If Patrick has spoken out about exactly why he said he wasn't motivated, fine, and kudos to you for correcting what you feel is misinformation. Far from having a theory about Patrick, I'm just stating my own perceptions and opinions. I'm not inside Patrick's head and I have no desire to be.

I didn't describe Patrick's 3A as a flawed jump here at TEB. However when he doesn't execute his 3A well, in that instance it is flawed. In any case, in a previous post in this thread I simply referred to the fact that Patrick's 3A is not one of his strongest or most consistent jumps. I also said that on average, he overcomes the difficulties he faces with the 3A, which is the mark of a champion. But continue reading my posts the way you prefer.

Going back to the discussion regarding motivation, e.g., I feel that Christina Gao is a skater who is sometimes underscored for what she puts out there and she's often been under-credited by her own federation, which doesn't help her in the eyes of international judges, and apparently doesn't help her confidence either. I hope Christina continues to persevere and eventually makes the judges sit up and take notice. She definitely has areas presentation-wise and confidence-wise that she needs to work on.