Music: Parisian Walkways by Gary Moore

4T - nice
FCSp
CSSp
3A - great entry, solid landing
3Lz+3T
StSq - good attack
CCoSp

Great skate from Hanyu! Probably 2nd, but how close to Chan can he get?

SP: 52.72+42.65 = 95.37 (PB), 2nd out of 8

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
Much as I like Hanyu, this music just doesn't seem to suit him. Good job though he always seems slightly on the verge of out-of-control.

Sackie

Medalist
No inflation! If Jason gets 84 plus with no quad then of course Patrick has to be much higher than that! Just hope he is not peeking to soon. He never is this on this early in the year!

Art&Sport

Medalist
Come on. Wonderful skate by Patrick, but my God, the score is absolutely ridiculous. It's as if they are saying he has nothing left to work on. Please!!! Patrick Chan is simply NOT a better interpretive skater than Jason Brown. Of course, better SS and the quad I expected Patrick's PCS to be higher as usual, but give Patrick something to work toward at the least. He's simply NOT that great artistically just because he skated clean. 98+ is a mockery and an insult to all the other skaters. Apparently no one can reach Patrick even when he has an off day, much less when he has an average lovely skate. What's he gonna get at the Olympics then? 100+

Give Patrick his Olympic gold then already and retire PLEASE!!! I hope to never see another skater placed so far above everyone else for whatever reason. I have favorite skaters who I think are wonderful, but I realize they also have weaknesses and they are not perfect. No one is perfect. I'd hate to see any skater I like treated like a God all the time every time.

Hanyu skated very well technically but his posture and lines are worse than last season.

No, I don't think so, and I'm usually the first one out there throwing brickbats at the tech panel and judges. I don't see much room for him to improve that program.

3axel was cheated. Camel and sit spin were ok but not great (could use more speed and flow and better extended positions). Every time I see that step sequence which wasn't even choreographed in time to the music in the first place, I want to claw my eyes out.

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
Wow, just... yeah, what a joy to watch. Tears in my eyes. Domo arigatou, Hanyu Yuzuru.
And a thank you to Patrick Chan for introducing me to Rachmaninoff's gorgeous Elegie.

Hahaha, "no more, no more". Poor guy, what are you gonna do with all those gifts!

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
Well, we have an interesting horse race now, Hanyu is still within reach of keeping Chan from just running away with the gold. Looking forward to the FS much more than I have at the other GP's so far! Jason keeping himself relevant is thrilling; I'd figured by now he'd have no shot for podium against Han Yan....but you never know!

Shayuki

Record Breaker
Nothing left to work on?

I'm pretty sure there's over 5 points of improvement possible there, probably even more.

Also he's only 3 points above the second place. The best skater in the world generally places first. Strange world, isn't it?

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Come on. Wonderful skate by Patrick, but my God, the score is absolutely ridiculous. It's as if they are saying he has nothing left to work on. Please!!! Patrick Chan is simply NOT a better interpretive skater than Jason Brown. Of course, better SS and the quad I expected Patrick's PCS to be higher as usual, but give Patrick something to work toward at the least. He's simply NOT that great artistically just because he skated clean. 98+ is a mockery and an insult to all the other skaters. Apparently no one can reach Patrick even when he has an off day, much less when he has an average lovely skate. What's he gonna get at the Olympics then? 100+

Give Patrick his Olympic gold then already and retire PLEASE!!! I hope to never see another skater placed so far above everyone else for whatever reason. I have favorite skaters who I think are wonderful, but I realize they also have weaknesses and they are not perfect. No one is perfect. I'd hate to see any skater I like treated like a God all the time every time.

Do you feel the same about Yuzu's score? Do you feel the same way about Volosozhar/Trankov's scores?

LOL @ all the haters whining inflation. Sorry, another world record for Chan. :biggrin:

Art&Sport

Medalist
No inflation! If Jason gets 84 plus with no quad then of course Patrick has to be much higher than that! Just hope he is not peeking to soon. He never is this on this early in the year!

Who says they didn't expect a higher score for Chan than what Jason got? But through the roof is ridiculous just because Chan skated clean (which he rarely has done especially early in a season over the last few seasons). I'm not expecting Jason to score higher than Chan, but Jason is certainly a better skater artistically and stylistically than Patrick Chan. Jason still has things to work on, and I'm glad that his scores reflect that fact. Chan is an amazing skater technically (aside from his 3-axel and his inconsistent performances), and he's not bad presentation-wise, but he still Chan has things to work on too. The shame is that Chan's scores hardly ever reflect that fact.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Thrilled that Jason is in podium contention, though it's close with Han just a hair behind him! Still, well above my expectations (I had him in 5th in my predictions). Hope he has a great FS!

Chan is only three points ahead of Hanyu, so there's no room for error for either in the FS.

Sackie

Medalist
Canadian the Chan haters wined because of his score at SC without a quad and now Jason scores close to the same without a quad and they think he was undermarked! No matter what Chan does he will be downed!

ks777

Record Breaker
Glad finally Yuzuru skated ok but I agree with Ziggy that his postures and lines didnt' look as good as last year.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Canadian the Chan haters wined because of his score at SC without a quad and now Jason scores close to the same without a quad and they think he was undermarked! No matter what Chan does he will be downed!

I think A&S' point isn't that Jason was underscored it's that Chan was overscored. I haven't seen the program, so I'll reserve my judgement. I don't see anyone advocating for Jason to score higher.