Ladies SP - 2013 Trophee Eric Bompard | Page 13 | Golden Skate

Ladies SP - 2013 Trophee Eric Bompard

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
FYI, just b/c you prefer one skater over another doesn't mean you have to trash everyone else.:disagree:

I'm sure that statement will go in one ear and leave the other, this is sky_fly20 we're talking about :laugh:

caseyl23

Rinkside
Wow sotnikova is definitely not going to medal here and pogorilaya can win agian!!

I'm not sure I'd go that far. Even if Sotnikova doesn't move up tomorrow, is she really going to fall below any of the girls behind her? With the scores, it's certainly possible, but I'm pessimistic. I think she'd need a pretty disastrous skate, coupled with a great skate from one of the others to drop down, and I'm not sure we'll see that.
And I'm definitely not going to rule out the possibility of her beating Pogorilaya. Keep in mind, there's pressure for her, too. With only two Russian spots at the Olympics, she has to beat at least two of Tuktamysheva, Sotnikova and Lipnitskaia to claim one. So far, she's showing herself, international judges and the Russian Federation it's possible, but realistically, if all four of the (presumed) top Russian seniors go clean, it seems safe to assume she'll come out no better than third-best.
At the start of the season, she appeared to be the top Russian with the biggest uphill climb onto the Olympic team. So far, she's doing what she needs to do, but I still don't think she has much margin for error. All three of the other ladies have experience and name recognition, even if Tuktamysheva and Sotnikova haven't been at their best so far this season. Pogorilaya's got to earn her spot if she wants to go to Sochi, so she's got to have nerves, too.

Mao88

Record Breaker
LADIES SHORT PROGRAM - VIDEOS (By Starting Order) - Updated

Warm-Up Group 1

1. Samantha CESARIO (USA) Short Program
2. Anna POGORILAYA (RUS) Short Program, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy
3. Natalia POPOVA (UKR) Short Program
4. Amelie LACOSTE (CAN) Short Program

Warm-Up Group 2

5. Mae Berenice MEITE (FRA) Short Program
6. Christina GAO (USA) Short Program, 2nd Copy
7. Viktoria HELGESSON (SWE) Short Program
8. Adelina SOTNIKOVA (RUS) Short Program, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy, 4th Copy
9. Ashley WAGNER (USA) Short Program, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy, 4th Copy

RESULT

Overall Result, Segment Result, Protocols

DannyCurry

On the Ice
My impressions on the ladies SP

Wagner: not my fave skater, but I'm impressed by the improvements she made on her jumps after a relatively short time with Arutunian. She's now consistenly going for the 3-3, and even though it was UR-ed this time, that was still a good attempt.

Pogorilaya (which the announcer couldn't get right): Her LP from CoC that I had watched on YT left me unimpressed. Watching her SP live was way better. Apart from the mistake on the axel, I must say she was quite impressive, going with great speed into her opening combo. She's also quite mature for such a young age.

Sotnikova: Huge flutz. Could see the tracing of the blade on all her attempts, as they were right in front of me. She did land one nice 3flutz-3loop in the warm-up. I love her spiral into the axel, what a shame she missed it.

Gao: Last year, I thought that program had the potential to be a masterpiece. I was wrong. Maybe upon hearing the music the 1st time, I thought she could create a mood to mesmerize the audience. This time, she did not fall or popped a jump, but still, she failed to create that mood..The 3t-3t didn't look so clean to me. I'll have to watch the vid.

Cesario: Really nice performance, and I'm a big fan of 3-3loop combos, especially the 3loop-3loop so I loved watching her attempts in the warm-up and in the program.

Maé: Big 3t-3t. I still prefer her Forrest Gump SP from a few seasons ago.

Lacoste: That will sound super rude but she reminds me of a meatball when she jumps.

Helgesson: Was it necessary to butcher Shostakovitch's waltz?!!! Awful, awful music cuts, tasteless costume color, and several mistakes on the jumps.

nynyfee

Rinkside
My impressions on the ladies SP

Wagner: not my fave skater, but I'm impressed by the improvements she made on her jumps after a relatively short time with Arutunian. She's now consistenly going for the 3-3, and even though it was UR-ed this time, that was still a good attempt.

Pogorilaya (which the announcer couldn't get right): Her LP from CoC that I had watched on YT left me unimpressed. Watching her SP live was way better. Apart from the mistake on the axel, I must say she was quite impressive, going with great speed into her opening combo. She's also quite mature for such a young age.

Sotnikova: Huge flutz. Could see the tracing of the blade on all her attempts, as they were right in front of me. She did land one nice 3flutz-3loop in the warm-up. I love her spiral into the axel, what a shame she missed it.

Gao: Last year, I thought that program had the potential to be a masterpiece. I was wrong. Maybe upon hearing the music the 1st time, I thought she could create a mood to mesmerize the audience. This time, she did not fall or popped a jump, but still, she failed to create that mood..The 3t-3t didn't look so clean to me. I'll have to watch the vid.

Cesario: Really nice performance, and I'm a big fan of 3-3loop combos, especially the 3loop-3loop so I loved watching her attempts in the warm-up and in the program.

Maé: Big 3t-3t. I still prefer her Forrest Gump SP from a few seasons ago.

Lacoste: That will sound super rude but she reminds me of a meatball when she jumps.

Helgesson: Was it necessary to butcher Shostakovitch's waltz?!!! Awful, awful music cuts, tasteless costume color, and several mistakes on the jumps.

Very rude because she's a vegetarian!

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Seems like she subconsciously wants some meat, then, since she takes that form in her jumps.

(I have no idea how she looks like a meatball, LOL?)

wordsworthgirl

Medalist
Why is Samantha Cesario not more highly regarded? I liked her short! She has nice posture, nice danceability and flair, and her jumps are quite solid. She does seem a little slow . . .

JPierce

Match Penalty
Hopefully Ashley will continue to dominate in the LP, since the competition here isn't exactly fierce. Does anyone know if the LP will be shown on icenetwork live? (I imagine we'll have to wait for the TV broadcast ...)

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Hopefully Ashley will continue to dominate in the LP, since the competition here isn't exactly fierce. Does anyone know if the LP will be shown on icenetwork live? (I imagine we'll have to wait for the TV broadcast ...)

Yes, it will be live via icenetwork!!!

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I really want the podium to be Ashley, Christina, and Anna in whatever order but the scores are so tight anything could happen. Maybe Adelina could skate a blinder in the FS and win it all though, you never know with her. Her jump layout for both SP and FS is pretty baffling though, given how unstable her 3f and even sometimes 2a are, why she goes for a 3lz-3lo combo when she knows it's going to wind up being called 3lz e-3lo< at best and very possibly 3lz e-3lo<< just seems like asking for trouble. Way too risky imo. She'd be better off going for 3lz-3t and 3lo or even 3t-3t and 3lo, or maybe her flip would be more consistent if she started doing it in combination so if she tried 3f-3t maybe 3f would start getting more consistent?

Anyways, Anna and Mae Berenice had the strongest jumping by far today, both their combos were fantastic. Excited for the FS, really pulling for Gao to medal!

elif

Medalist
I really want the podium to be Ashley, Christina, and Anna in whatever order but the scores are so tight anything could happen. Maybe Adelina could skate a blinder in the FS and win it all though, you never know with her. Her jump layout for both SP and FS is pretty baffling though, given how unstable her 3f and even sometimes 2a are, why she goes for a 3lz-3lo combo when she knows it's going to wind up being called 3lz e-3lo< at best and very possibly 3lz e-3lo<< just seems like asking for trouble. Way too risky imo. She'd be better off going for 3lz-3t and 3lo or even 3t-3t and 3lo, or maybe her flip would be more consistent if she started doing it in combination so if she tried 3f-3t maybe 3f would start getting more consistent?

Anything could be better than 3lutz+3Loop. She can try 3T+3T after the halfway. She is doing 2A+3T at her FS. Why not? 8.20 with 0.82 this combo's base value could be 9 points. She can add some GOE too, unlike her 3lutz. Radionova did 3Lo+3T at the NHK. Maybe she can try that.

flying camel

Medalist
Why is Samantha Cesario not more highly regarded? I liked her short! She has nice posture, nice danceability and flair, and her jumps are quite solid. She does seem a little slow . . .

I was wondering the same about Samantha. Considering the mistakes the other ladies had I thought she should have scored at least four points higher. But she is a newcomer. If she keeps skating well the scores will come. I have heard that she does not skate that fast, so maybe that's something she can work on. I wonder what level her spins and foot work scored.

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Anyways, Anna and Mae Berenice had the strongest jumping by far today, both their combos were fantastic. Excited for the FS, really pulling for Gao to medal!

But her second 3f in her LP is her 3 jump combo which she never makes because she misses the flip part :think: 3t-3t is her best combo that she has managed to pull off.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Very rude because she's a vegetarian!

is she a vegetarian to save the animals or because that's the diet that works for her? if the former I could see a meatball comment possibly offending her, however I don't think the OP meant it to be malicious or rude (though they acknowledged that it would come off as such); if the latter then chances are she does have the option to eat some meat proteins (normally it's fish or egg) so I see no reason to call foul.

This coming from a hardcore meat eater. ;)

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Her jump layout for both SP and FS is pretty baffling though, given how unstable her 3f and even sometimes 2a are, why she goes for a 3lz-3lo combo when she knows it's going to wind up being called 3lz e-3lo< at best and very possibly 3lz e-3lo<< just seems like asking for trouble. Way too risky imo.

She doesn't have any very reliable jumps, so I guess her strategy is to go for the most difficulty. It's still early in the season and she should be trying to put some difficult moves out there. It's funny how people commend Ashley going for her 3/3's but criticize Adelina for trying harder jumps. She can always plan a safe layout for Nationals.

Mao88

Record Breaker
LADIES SHORT PROGRAM - VIDEOS (By Starting Order) - Updated

Warm-Up Group 1

1. Samantha CESARIO (USA) Short Program
2. Anna POGORILAYA (RUS) Short Program, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy
3. Natalia POPOVA (UKR) Short Program
4. Amelie LACOSTE (CAN) Short Program

Warm-Up Group 2

5. Mae Berenice MEITE (FRA) Short Program, 2nd Copy
6. Christina GAO (USA) Short Program, 2nd Copy
7. Viktoria HELGESSON (SWE) Short Program
8. Adelina SOTNIKOVA (RUS) Short Program, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy, 4th Copy
9. Ashley WAGNER (USA) Short Program, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy, 4th Copy

RESULT

Overall Result, Segment Result, Protocols

Adding link to a copy of Mae Berenice Meite's SP (with sound)