Tuktamysheva might miss Rostelecom Cup | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Tuktamysheva might miss Rostelecom Cup

tulosai

Record Breaker
If Carolina doesn't make it to the GPF, then it will have been a quite lackluster Grand Prix Series for the ladies. Only a few months ago we thought the GPF would be the first epic battle among the top three before Sochi.

I love Carolina but she may no longer be top 3. Barring improvement I am going to say both Julia L and Ashley W may have passed her. Of course the one competition sample size we have from her is not sufficient to make any proclamation but it did look to me like age may be catching up to her through no fault of her own.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
I love Carolina but she may no longer be top 3. Barring improvement I am going to say both Julia L and Ashley W may have passed her. Of course the one competition sample size we have from her is not sufficient to make any proclamation but it did look to me like age may be catching up to her through no fault of her own.

I would say at this point it is more a big 2 than a big 3. It is Kim vs Mao for the gold medal, with Kim probably still having the slight edge, but we have to see how she looks when she returns or how much further Mao can improve. Then all the others looking at that bronze medal. Yes Kostner can improve a lot and hopefully will, but even that will only put her in stronger contention for that bronze medal. Mao has already scored higher than Kostner ever has twice this season, and she isn't even skating cleanly to do it.

CarneAsada

Medalist
I would say at this point it is more a big 2 than a big 3. It is Kim vs Mao for the gold medal, with Kim probably still having the slight edge, but we have to see how she looks when she returns or how much further Mao can improve. Then all the others looking at that bronze medal. Yes Kostner can improve a lot and hopefully will, but even that will only put her in stronger contention for that bronze medal. Mao has already scored higher than Kostner ever has twice this season, and she isn't even skating cleanly to do it.
Mao is not going to challenge in this state. She hasn't cracked 140 and we can't count on anything as her 3-3 hasn't appeared this season. Not to mention she's actually not landed the 3A with +GOE in her LP since 2011. She has landed one clean 3A in the SP, at 4CC last season. Compare that to Kim who has done her 6 triple LP every time last season. I'll start calling Mao a gold contender if she shows dramatic improvement at the important lead-up competitions (GPF, 4CC). Which has happened before so we at least know it's possible.

Barb

Record Breaker
Mao is not going to challenge in this state. She hasn't cracked 140 and we can't count on anything as her 3-3 hasn't appeared this season. Not to mention she's actually not landed the 3A with +GOE in her LP since 2011. She has landed one clean 3A in the SP, at 4CC last season. Compare that to Kim who has done her 6 triple LP every time last season. I'll start calling Mao a gold contender if she shows dramatic improvement at the important lead-up competitions (GPF, 4CC). Which has happened before so we at least know it's possible.

well, but It`s not like Mao was landing 3 axels left and right in 2009-2010 season and she did it in OG and worlds, in fact everyone were in dobut if she even could to do the olympic team

CarneAsada

Medalist
well, but It`s not like Mao was landing 3 axels left and right in 2009-2010 season and she did it in OG and worlds, in fact everyone were in dobut if she even could to do the olympic team
Like I said, she's done it before. Almost every season, now that I think of it. But to call her a lock right now is premature.

Barb

Record Breaker
Like I said, she's done it before. Almost every season, now that I think of it. But to call her a lock right now is premature.

If that season she was doing so bad and got a olympic silver medal and world gold medal it seems logic to think that at this stage of the season that she is doing better will be better in OG too

pangtongfan

Match Penalty

Even if that were true Mao is a lock for the silver IMO. I don't see anyone challenging her when she is already posting scores beyond what the others are capable or have ever done this soon in the season.

Just to make it clear, I am picking Kim to win her 2nd Olympic Gold. However right now Mao does have some chance since:

1. Kim is out, and we don't know for sure if she will be skating perfect and untouchable 150+ LP level when she returns.
2. Mao can still improve further.

I do pick Kim to win the Olympics. I do think Mao also has a chance at this moment, even though I think she will ultimately fall short. Either way I am certain those will be the top 2 medal winners in Sochi. I am most definitely not calling Mao a lock for the gold, but I am calling her a near lock for atleast the silver.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Despite that I do have a funny feeling Wagner is going to upset Asada for the Grand Prix final title this year, which will be a bit of a kick to Mao and sharpen her further going into the Nationals and Games.

jaylee

Medalist
Liza may miss Rostelecom Cup, but she's signed up for Golden Spin in Zagreb, so she'll be facing off with Yu-Na and Miki the weekend of the GPF.

Despite that I do have a funny feeling Wagner is going to upset Asada for the Grand Prix final title this year, which will be a bit of a kick to Mao and sharpen her further going into the Nationals and Games.

If anyone beats Mao at the GPF, I'm betting it's going to be a Russian youngster like Julia.

Krislite

Medalist

Did you forget the GPF is in Japan? I can't see Wagner beating her unless she has a meltdown. Mao has nearly every one of her competitions in Japan this season, except for Skate America and the Olympics. She was bound to post tremendous scores this season.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Did you forget the GPF is in Japan? I can't see Wagner beating her unless she has a meltdown. Mao has nearly every one of her competitions in Japan this season, except for Skate America and the Olympics. She was bound to post tremendous scores this season.

Sorry I forget GPF was in Japan. Scratch that then. Scoring in Japan is always a huge joke, and Asada will win there as long as she lands 2 triples, lol!

CarneAsada

Medalist
Mao has nearly every one of her competitions in Japan this season, except for Skate America and the Olympics. She was bound to post tremendous scores this season.

I think 4CC is in Taiwan, and Mao usually goes to 4CC to test things out.

Krislite

Medalist
I think 4CC is in Taiwan, and Mao usually goes to 4CC to test things out.

If she did she could easily wear herself out before Sochi, especially since this season she's trying to start off very strong early on and maintain that. This is what she's looking at this season before the ladies singles event in Sochi:

Japan Open
Skate America
NHK Trophy
Grand Prix Final
Japanese Nationals
Four Continents
Olympics Team Event

Barb

Record Breaker
If she did she could easily wear herself out before Sochi, especially since this season she's trying to start off very strong early on and maintain that. This is what she's looking at this season before the ladies singles event in Sochi:

Japan Open
Skate America
NHK Trophy
Grand Prix Final
Japanese Nationals
Four Continents
Olympics Team Event
It is too much :eek:, she should skip 4cc