what's the fairest online forum on FS? | Page 4 | Golden Skate

what's the fairest online forum on FS?

smontgomery

Rinkside
Country
United-States
Golden Skate by far. As a senior person, I enjoy reading posts here, and value the usually well thought out opinions.

Alex D

Record Breaker
I think that the lack of respect has very few to do with the forum itself, but with the current generation of internet users. Many think that saying something bad is totally normal, they don't think and re - read their post´s but just hit the "post" button.

But we also need to consider that not everyone has English as his or her first language (myself included). You can easily understand a sentence wrong or interpret something into it, that wasn't even intended. This happened a while ago at the Yuna Kim injury threat here. Some misunderstanding lead to a fight that was totally unnecessary.

I had a chat with someone from Mongolia a while ago. He told me that it is totally normal to stick together, to help each other as you wont survive without that attitude. In Europe, but also any other big country people learned to live for themselves. They learned to not rely on other people and if you don't have to rely on others, you automatically become more self focused. It then is more important to get across your message, than to actually think about what reaction you might provoke.

I met people from FSU at events, but also from GS and I felt they were all friendly :)

That's a great point about language and cultural differences, Alex, and one I try to keep in mind. Also, a lot of people assume that they are obliged to debate a point (I notice that many posters demand that one cite sources), and they aren't aware that another poster might just be interested in floating a comment out there, not in establishing the sole rightness of a particular viewpoint. A difference in priorities.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
But we also need to consider that not everyone has English as his or her first language (myself included). You can easily understand a sentence wrong or interpret something into it, that wasn't even intended. This happened a while ago at the Yuna Kim injury threat here. Some misunderstanding lead to a fight that was totally unnecessary.
Good points - international forums will have posters with different language proficiency and different cultural norms. And on top of that, forum posts lack a lot of the cues that exist in face to face communication; the smileys can help with that, but not always. It's worth trying to clarify things before becoming upset about someone's post.

I met people from FSU at events, but also from GS and I felt they were all friendly :)
I've met people from GS and FSUers, including people who post on both sites. Everyone's been great.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Guys, Please don't use this thread to bash other forums or members of other forums. If you do, we will have to close the thread for board dragging.

seniorita

Record Breaker
that board was taken down for legal reasons, though, so someone in high places took it really seriously.

Which forum was that?
Ontd_skating comes in mind, but that was created after Vancouver I think and fainted away real fast.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
There was something called something like Uncensored Skating (not the right name) that disappeared-was it that one? It was pretty raunchy. And it was before Vancouver.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
There was something called something like Uncensored Skating (not the right name) that disappeared-was it that one? It was pretty raunchy. And it was before Vancouver.

yeah I don't remember the title, but yes that's the one I'm thinking of.

BlackPack

Medalist
Yes, it was the Uncensored Figure Skating Forum. It was started around the 2002 Olympics, way before Vancouver. If another similar forum was around after that, then I don't know about it.