Poised to break through--but didn't | Golden Skate

Poised to break through--but didn't

Poodlepal

On the Ice
I was just reading the "State of American Ladies" thread and many people were talking about the disappointing results of Mirai, who four years ago would have seemed to be a contender for gold this year. That got me to thinking that she is not the only one who has hit hard times in the last few years.

Besides Mirai, I can think of
1. Kimmie--though at least she was the World Champion, she certainly never did a thing after that, and it was her downfall that led to journeywoman skaters like Rachael and Alyssa being the best the US had.

2. Caroline. What else can I say?

3. Naomi Nari Nam. At least she came back as a pairs skater a few years later.

4. The ice dancers that were "better" than Naomi Lang and partner, except they actually weren't. Silverstein and Pekarek were their names, IIRC. I think she went to the Olympics with a different partner, but wasn't in contention.

Anybody else? I'm sure there are plenty!

Oh, Jamie Silverstein and Justin Pekarek were wonderful! I'm so glad to hear someone talking of them.

I felt terrible about Nam because she just didn't have the body strength for the sport: her hip gave out way too early. She was a charmer and a wonderful skater. I was glad that she had at least a bit of a second chance as a pairs skater with Leftheris.

There was also the pair of Tiffany and Johnnie Stiegler. He was a good skater who just didn't grow enough to continue to partner his sister, but she seemed extraordinary, with real star quality. Maybe someone with more skating knowledge than I can say whether she really was a standout technically, but she certainly seemed so to me at the advanced age of twelve or so.

bebevia

On the Ice
Recently, Caroline, Mirai, Liza. I get really sad and dig into my bed with the three in one sentence. And borderline Czisny.

wordsworthgirl

Medalist
Oh, Jamie Silverstein and Justin Pekarek were wonderful! I'm so glad to hear someone talking of them.

I felt terrible about Nam because she just didn't have the body strength for the sport: her hip gave out way too early. She was a charmer and a wonderful skater. I was glad that she had at least a bit of a second chance as a pairs skater with Leftheris.

There was also the pair of Tiffany and Johnnie Stiegler. He was a good skater who just didn't grow enough to continue to partner his sister, but she seemed extraordinary, with real star quality. Maybe someone with more skating knowledge than I can say whether she really was a standout technically, but she certainly seemed so to me at the advanced age of twelve or so.

Olympia, I LOVED the Stieglers! They had so much promise and such beautiful line, extension, artistry. I think Tiffany tried again with a different partner at some point? But in any case, those 2 were my great hope in pairs for a while, but they weren't different enough in height and never could break through.

Jamie Silverstein! :love: You couldn't take your eyes off her.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EL0dxsVnrdw

She had to leave skating due to eating disorder problems. :cry: Later she graduated from Cornel. She has always maintained an interest in helping others facing the same difficulties that she coped with. She now runs a yoga studio in Seattle.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
Abbott, in a way. Although he has had some victories, he hasn't become the World or Olympic medalist many expected him to be. I also think people expected Dornbush to rise up the ranks much more quickly than he has after 2011. Actually, he hasn't really risen up at all since then. I take it we're talking about American skaters, or else I would have more examples.

wordsworthgirl

Medalist
Abbott, in a way. Although he has had some victories, he hasn't become the World or Olympic medalist many expected him to be. I also think people expected Dornbush to rise up the ranks much more quickly than he has after 2011. Actually, he hasn't really risen up at all since then. I take it we're talking about American skaters, or else I would have more examples.

You're so right about Abbott, because breaking through is relative, and he was expected to medal at 2010 Olympics and certainly get a number of world medals.

noskates

Record Breaker
Wow, I had forgotten about Katy Taylor.

But I think Jeremy Abbott at this points leads the pack. I remember watching his SP and LP at the 2012 Nats and was so excited for him. I thought the US had a lock on a World medal and eventually an Olympic medal with Jeremy. Working with Jason and Yuka seemed like a match made in heaven. His choreography was exciting, his footwork and interpretation of his music was stellar and he was landing his jumps with confidence and ease..............................and then...........................PLOP. It all went down the loo. Coming in second on this list would have to be Mirai Negasu. She is so elegant on the ice but she just seems to never have her head in the game. I still love watching her skate but it pains me to see her self-destruct. Not a fan of Alyssa Czisny but there's another head case. You never know which Alyssa is going to show up for any competition.

Adam Rippon is another example but it appears he's found his footing. Jill Trenary is another one. Tonia Kwiatosky, Scott Davis - phenomenol spinner, but.......alas and alack. Couldn't compete.
It's sad that someone can work their whole young lives toward a goal and a 4 minutes can't crush them.

wordsworthgirl

Medalist
Wow, I had forgotten about Katy Taylor.

But I think Jeremy Abbott at this points leads the pack. I remember watching his SP and LP at the 2012 Nats and was so excited for him. I thought the US had a lock on a World medal and eventually an Olympic medal with Jeremy. Working with Jason and Yuka seemed like a match made in heaven. His choreography was exciting, his footwork and interpretation of his music was stellar and he was landing his jumps with confidence and ease..............................and then...........................PLOP. It all went down the loo. Coming in second on this list would have to be Mirai Negasu. She is so elegant on the ice but she just seems to never have her head in the game. I still love watching her skate but it pains me to see her self-destruct. Not a fan of Alyssa Czisny but there's another head case. You never know which Alyssa is going to show up for any competition.

Adam Rippon is another example but it appears he's found his footing. Jill Trenary is another one. Tonia Kwiatosky, Scott Davis - phenomenol spinner, but.......alas and alack. Couldn't compete.
It's sad that someone can work their whole young lives toward a goal and a 4 minutes can't crush them.

Noskates, I completely agree with you about Jeremy. He could have been a World and Olympic Champion. The most talented skater never to medal at Worlds or Olympics- he absolutely is at the top of the list for those to hold that dubious honor.

Thank you for remembering Scott Davis! What a terrible let-down his career was. He was just spectacular at 1994 Nationals, and then he became the worst popper. My ex-husband and I used to refer sarcastically to his "mighty doubles." He simply could not compete on the world stage. I must confess that I fear Max Aaron may be the next Scott Davis.

louisa05

Final Flight
I think that it is notable that a number of the women being brought up--Kimmie, Mirai, Caroline, Naomi--were all heavily hyped before they finished growing. Things changed for them when their bodies matured. Fans and the federation need to be more careful about putting such high expectations on young skaters because we should all know that everything can change with a few inches and some curves.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I wouldn't add Kimmie to my own list because I think a WC is about the best outcome she was capable of achieving. She wouldn't have medaled in Vancouver and I don't think she would have won another WC.

Of the overhyped girls mentioned, only Mirai had good technique on the jumps so the problems skaters like Caroline and Naomi had were somewhat foreseeable, especially with their mule kick on the flip and lutz jumps.

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
Ann Patrice McDonough. Quit the sport but not for lack of technical ability or puberty reasons.
Deanna Stellato. Injury cut short her time in the sport, our loss as well as hers.

noskates

Record Breaker
Jill Trenary was a us and World Champ, yes?

You're right. I guess I was thinking about her 4th at the Olys. She went into that a major contender and just blew it. Beautiful girl and nice to watch on the ice.

And another good point about the body changes and how it effects the "baby ballerinas!" I honestly think that's what happened to Mirai. And then once she lost her confidence it just seems like she hasn't been able to get it back. I wish she had stayed with Frank Carroll.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm going to tweak the intent of the thread... and include Sasha Cohen in the discussion.

Yes, she has US Championships, Olympic medal, WC medal, multiple GP wins... there are many, many skaters who would be thrilled with that resume, and rightly so.

But she never became what she could have been. She had the talent, the look, the charisma to become one of the all time greats in our sport... an icon on the level of Peggy Fleming. Instead, she had a very good career, but will be remembered by few in 20 years.

Amei

Record Breaker
I'm going to tweak the intent of the thread... and include Sasha Cohen in the discussion.

Yes, she has US Championships, Olympic medal, WC medal, multiple GP wins... there are many, many skaters who would be thrilled with that resume, and rightly so.

But she never became what she could have been. She had the talent, the look, the charisma to become one of the all time greats in our sport... an icon on the level of Peggy Fleming. Instead, she had a very good career, but will be remembered by few in 20 years.

Agree, Sasha is a skater that never reached the potential greatness that she could have. She had the artistry and the flexibility, but didn't have consistency on jumps or the ability to perform under intense pressure to win gold.