Who will take over as the leaders after this season | Golden Skate

Who will take over as the leaders after this season

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
After this season it is pretty much certain that Savchenko & Szolkowy, Chan, Takahashi, Davis & White, Virtue & Moir, Pechalat & Bourzat, Joubert, Plushenko, Asada, Kim, Kostner, Suzuki, Verner, Lysacek, Abbott, Pang & Tong, and many others will be retiring. There is a decent chance (but not as certain) Volosozhar & Trankov, Wagner, Nagasu, Murakami, Kavaguti & Smirnov, Duhamel & Radford, Moore-Towers & Moscovitch, will as well. Who will take over as the new leaders with so many of the top skaters retiring. It will almost be the start of a new era, and who looks strong to start of the new quadrennial as the ones to beat right now.

Barb

Record Breaker
Ladies: Julia, Gracie, Satoko, Ashley, Elena R.
Men: Yuzuru, Yan
Dance: W/P, C/L, Shibs and I/K
Pairs: All the chinese pairs

Ana and Luca are planning to continue??? I hope so

Arianne

On the Ice
I highly doubt that the top Canadian teams that you've mentioned will retire. They've just started to break through and could potentially medal and win world titles after this season. I would think that Ashley would also stay in for at least two more years as she has just been making her way up to the top recently.

Ice Dance: W/P!!!
Ladies: Russian Ladies! Hopefullly Wagner and Gold (Cessario, perhaps?) Osmond
Men: Hanyu, Machida, Brown, Rippon, Farris, Reynolds
Pairs: MT/M, D/R and...??? not sure

This year it seems that Jason Brown and Adam Rippon are really coming in to their own, and it's very exciting. Hanyu is going to be amazing for sure. I am also intrigued by Samantha Cesario; she seems like a mature skater who is capable of convincing presentation and good technique. Golly, she even made Carmen seem fresh at Trophee Pierre Bomphard.

It will be fun to see more of the ice dancers we've been watching just behind our two champion couples, such as the Shibs and W/P. The one group I'm not sure about as a whole are the pairs. Maybe I just don't know enough to be able to judge.

phaeljones

On the Ice
For the men: Hanyu, Brown, Farris, Yan (I have never felt so optimistic about four young skaters coming in as I do for these four)

For the women: Lipnitskaia, Wagner and Murakami (if she hangs around).

Dance: Shibs, W/P

Pairs: no clue

Sara

On the Ice
Ladies: Wagner, Lipnitskaya, Radionova, Gold, Sotnikova. I would also add Sasha Proklova and Evgenia Medvedeva.
Men: Hanyu, Machida, Rippon, Brown, Ten

lcd

Match Penalty
Ladies: Lipnitskaya, Gold, Radionova, Sotnikova, Miyahara
Men: Fernandez, Hanyu, Kovtun, Rippon, Reynolds
Dance: Shibs, W/P, C/L
Pairs: Sui/Han, MT/Mosk

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
My guesses would be:

Pairs- Moore-Towers & Moscovitch (if they stay), Sui & Han (if she doesnt grow anymore), Peng & Zhang, and the Italians who will keep improving. I do think Volosozhar & Trankov might end up staying though, in which case they will continue to dominate. I dont see the long term potential in Duhamel & Radford, whether they continue or not. I think right now is their window. The same applies to Barazova & Larionov.

Men- Hanyu, Fernandez, Kovtun, Brown, Farris

Dance- Weaver & Poje I think will be the ones to beat after this season. Ilinykh & Katsalapov could become stronger contenders. Cappellini & Lanotte as well.

Ladies- I think the Russian ladies might completely take over as a group after this season.

flutzy13

On the Ice
Ladies- not sure if Wagner will stay. But she should if she wants some world medals as I imagine she'll continue to have high PCS. The Russian girls (although I think Tukt will have a hard time) & eventually Gracie. Not as hopeful for Osmond or Li. Angela Wang or Hannah Miller.

Men's- Jason. Kotvun. Hanyu. Max if he gets jumps back could be a factor on the GP if not Worlds. maybe Kevin Reynolds.

Pairs- MT/M could dominate next year. The younger Chinese pairs. Think US stock will rise with Denney/Frazier & Scimeca/kneirim. Not sure if castelli/Shnapir will stay but they might try if Boston gets worlds. Hope they do as there's no real pro circuit they're just coming into their own as performers.

Dance- hope W/P stay awhile. I/K. C/L. Less clear who will ultimately be US #1. Thought it would be C/B with shibs dumped but that's looking far less certain

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
I think U.S #1 will be wide open between Chock & Bates, Shibutanis, and Hubbel & Donohue next season unless one of those teams really has a spectacular showing this season (which I highly doubt). I am thinking if Hubbel & Donohue can make the Olympic team it will be them. I see them as having the most long term improvement left of those three teams. I don't see any of them top 4 or 5 in the World even next year though. I think the Russians, Weaver & Poje, and the Italians will be the ones above them.

Moore-Towers & Moscovitch would make a wonderful World Champion. Such a great team and I far prefer them to the overrated and overscored Duhamel & Radford.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Ladies: Wagner, Lipnitskaya, Radionova, Gold, Sotnikova. I would also add Sasha Proklova and Evgenia Medvedeva.
Men: Hanyu, Machida, Rippon, Brown, Ten

Which Ten Jeremy or Denis - I assume Denis but you never know?

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
My guesses would be:

Pairs- Moore-Towers & Moscovitch (if they stay), Sui & Han (if she doesnt grow anymore), Peng & Zhang, and the Italians who will keep improving. I do think Volosozhar & Trankov might end up staying though, in which case they will continue to dominate. I dont see the long term potential in Duhamel & Radford, whether they continue or not. I think right now is their window. The same applies to Barazova & Larionov.

Men- Hanyu, Fernandez, Kovtun, Brown, Farris

Dance- Weaver & Poje I think will be the ones to beat after this season. Ilinykh & Katsalapov could become stronger contenders. Cappellini & Lanotte as well.

Ladies- I think the Russian ladies might completely take over as a group after this season.

I agree with your analysis for the most part except I am not sure if the Russians will survive puberty in the ladies AND in the pairs - the Italians actually have gone up and down. 2012 - 2013 was their chance at the bronze and they failed miserably.

Sara

On the Ice
I'm sure Ashley will continue after Sochi! If she doesn't medal in Sochi, I wouldn't be surprised to see her compete in 2018 Olympics.

Ladies- not sure if Wagner will stay. But she should if she wants some world medals as I imagine she'll continue to have high PCS. The Russian girls (although I think Tukt will have a hard time) & eventually Gracie. Not as hopeful for Osmond or Li. Angela Wang or Hannah Miller.

Men's- Jason. Kotvun. Hanyu. Max if he gets jumps back could be a factor on the GP if not Worlds. maybe Kevin Reynolds.

Pairs- MT/M could dominate next year. The younger Chinese pairs. Think US stock will rise with Denney/Frazier & Scimeca/kneirim. Not sure if castelli/Shnapir will stay but they might try if Boston gets worlds. Hope they do as there's no real pro circuit they're just coming into their own as performers.

Dance- hope W/P stay awhile. I/K. C/L. Less clear who will ultimately be US #1. Thought it would be C/B with shibs dumped but that's looking far less certain

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
I agree with your analysis for the most part except I am not sure if the Russians will survive puberty in the ladies AND in the pairs - the Italians actually have gone up and down. 2012 - 2013 was their chance at the bronze and they failed miserably.

Sotnikova, Tuk are post puberty
Julia, Elena arent doing bad either and they are still way better than your glorious Osmond
who you mentioned will crush all the Russian ladies who will not survive all puberty :popcorn:

I guess Osmond will be there too next quad if she stops landing on her butt all the time :rofl:

on a good side: what I'm expecting next quad after hopefully a retirement of Chan and V/M for good :)
for 2014-2018

will be Russia and USA in ladies
Ladies: Gracie Gold, Julia Lipnitskaya, Elena Radionova,
maybes: Karen Chen, Sotnikova, Pogorilaya, Proklova

US men will do very well next quad
Men: Yuzu, Jason and Yan Han
maybes: Farris, Rippon, Kovtun, Reynolds, Ten

Dance
Ilinykh/Katsalapov, Weaver/Poje, Capellini/Lanotte, Papadakis/Cizeron
maybes: Mcnamara/Carpenter, Sinitsina/Mozgov ?

Pairs
Sui/Han, Moore-Tower/Moskovitch, Yu/Jin, Stolbova/Klimov, Bazarova/Larionov
maybes: Wang/Wang, Catelli/Shnapir, Vigalova/Zakroev, Morgan/Cipres, Berton/Hotarek

koatcue

Medalist
Country
Russia
Russian girls+Gracie Gold
Canadian pairs
Yuzuru Hanyu
Weather/Poje, maaaaaaaaaybe Ilinikh/Katsalapov

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
what will be interesting is the shifting in disciplines next quad

USA
1 Strong Men
2 Ok ladies
3 Ok Dance
4 Average Pairs

Russia
1 Strong Ladies
2 Ok Pairs
3 Ok Dance
4 Average Men

China
1 Strong Men
2 Strong Pairs
3 Average ladies
4 hopeless Dance

Canada : well other than their veteran skaters they have no depth, so I don't know
W/P, MT/M , Reynolds, or D/R who is Canada's best Pair since the deplorable S/P

Japan: Men should be fine, maybe T/T can develop next quad for their pairs
ladies might have a bit of a depleted field in Japan until after 2018 where
most promising juniors will now be senior for 2022 Japan will be back