Should Ashley skip the GPF | Golden Skate

Should Ashley skip the GPF

flying camel

Medalist
I think she should skip it. It's not as prestigious as it once was. Can an athlete skip if they want? I think she should concentrate on improving her programs and resting up for the rest of the season.

We have seen over the years that toward the end of the season Ashley starts to run out of gas. I want her to take a small break and be fresh for Nationals and the Olympics.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I think she should skip it. It's not as prestigious as it once was. Can an athlete skip if they want? I think she should concentrate on improving her programs and resting up for the rest of the season.

We have seen over the years that toward the end of the season Ashley starts to run out of gas. I want her to take a small break and be fresh for Nationals and the Olympics.

The ISU requires those who qualify for the GPF to compete, AFAIK. (Barring injury, of course.)

The up-sides are that Wagner and others have the opportunity to compete on another international stage (with the positive benefits thereof) -- and to earn significant prize money.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I don't think it's in Ashley's nature to back down from a challenge. She's not a pwetty pink pwincess that needs to be coddled.

Amei

Record Breaker
The ISU requires those who qualify for the GPF to compete, AFAIK. (Barring injury, of course.)

if she wants to skip the GPF she could certainly 'pull something' get some kind of 'illness'.

but it would be stupid of her, I don't see her winning an Olympic medal, so she should try to win an international comp. while she can.

emma

Record Breaker
No Way! She should compete (assuming no injury)! Although she missed her three jump combo in the LP, this one looked better to me and another comp will help her continue to improve that, I think. Plus, it's Olympic season - she needs to prove she is a contender or continue to prove that. Plus, I want to see her ;)

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It's not in Ashley's nature to take the easy way out. She meets challenges head on and she still has improvements she can make this season before Nationals, particularly with her LP, which I only began to appreciate for the 1st time this season at Trophee Eric Bompard. I would think she wants one more opportunity in international competition to really sell her LP solidly to international judges and really make an exclamation statement prior to the Sochi Olympics. She's in that potential spoiler for an Olympic medal mix of skaters, which also includes Lipnitskaia, Suzuki, and Sotnikova. Obviously, Kim, Asada, and Kostner are the medal favorites if they deliver like they can. Wagner needs to continue to plug away and keep her name in the picture by continuing to build her reputation and positive momentum with clean skates and high levels and scores. I really wish her the best of luck! GO DIVA WAGNER!! :love::yay:

lcd

Match Penalty
Doubt she would. She has said in recent interviews that she thrives on getting more opportunities to compete. She certainly has not backed off of commitments such as shows or even events like Japan Open right before the Grand Prix season (though she didn't do a senior B).

I would doubt that there are 'expectations' for her to medal so if she did, that would be a bonus. Plus, being one of the few US or North American skaters who qualify for the Final won't harm her reputation any given all the endorsements she is expected to stand and deliver on

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
That would make no sense because she is still building her campaign for a medal and every competition that she skates in gives her an opportunity to build her reputation and inch her PCS marks up.

noskates

Record Breaker
Why on earth would she want to skip the GPF? Unless she's injured and needs the time to recuperate, I would say oh heck NO.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty

Its not posible to skip the GPF unless you get injured or you'll get a suspension

anyways I agree Wagner gets worn out at the end of the season
it wouldn't surprise me if she finih last thi GPF behind Pogorilaya , Ashley had a splatfest last GPF and had to take a skip in 4CC after a mediocre nationals performance on a good side, Wagner's typical running out of steam at the end of the season will be great for Gracie she'll finally beat Wagner at nationals :)

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Ashley wants to try and win the Grand Prix final after a disappointing 2nd place last year. She will be competing and going all out for the win, even with the odds really stacked against her with it being in Japan (and Mao would be the favorite even if it wasn't there). Although last year the hard fall on her hip that killed her chances of the title, was the turning point of her season IMO, and it followed with a disaesterous LP at Nationals, and cautious performances come Worlds.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
I think Ashley is a lock for at least Bronze. S he should be and I hope a podium finish sets her up. It is still very prestigious. She is skating well-sadly I don't think her LP is on par with last two years. I doubt she'll beat Mao, tho clearly she has the whole package. If she does more clean triples, and has the PCS she deserves, they should give it to her. I love Mao, but her wins have often been rep judging.

She is a first tier skater. Will they really give Caro unfair PCS cuz it is her 3rd or 4th ? Olympics? YuNa is the ultimate CoP skater. Done deal. I don't want to see Mao or Caro held up at Olympics. I also do not agree a clean YuNa is always 20 points better than clean Mao. Vancouver shocked me. But like many, I am no scoring wonk.

I expect to see a clean Julia on podium in Sochi. even though I don't agree she is a great performer. So that leaves silver which I suspect will be Caro or Mao, likely Mao. So Ashley even if almost clean is looking at 4 or 5. 4 if Caro bombs. I think Caro will get pity points and overdue points if she stands up. But this year isn't her best for programs. None of the top ladies has a great program like last year. Ash should do Black Swan, Caro do Bolero. Chan was smart to keep Elegie, I wonder if it is too late to change anything?

I truly feel Gold has wrong LP and Johnny voiced my exact thoughts, written earlier in season. Since Grace will likely not medal unless she pulls a Sarah/Tara technically and they are forced to give her bronze, I'd like to see a new program. Grace is not going to GP right?

This is a building year for her, and she could medal at World's. I just want to see any, fast paced, dynamic program, with easier transitions and np pretense at balletic skating. Her SP shows what she can do-she has it all, except balletic or adagio style. It would be tough. They could redo her exhibition. Chacking her LP would be good since it's lousy and she can't skate to it, anyway. I was hoping her program would showcase speed, big jumps, fast spins. She is so unlikely to podium, it makes more sense to let her be grace. She will get second spot at nationals, as long as she delivers speed and jumps, and they really handicapped her in the LP.

I loved her costumes last year. Bright bold colors, the right glam. If there is one program that is all wrong, her LP is it. I cannot believe the genius Marina Zueva did this. It does not look like her work. She did a lot to showcase Goordeeva who had no jumps, and she did it well. Grace can do everything except be calm it seems, so while Kwan could handle a change midseason, I know this is asking a lot. If Hicks can do well with just jumps, Grace can make a much better cause for herself. I am upset she is not allowed to be herself. Wrong year for Sleeping Beauty. Not yet grace-maybe at 22. Even YuNa knows her limits as does Wilson. I am upset for Gracie and wonder what Frank Carroll thinks.:bang: OT I know but Grace could and should medal at worlds given an LP suited to her style and maturity. With mass retirements, she should be ready. This was really Zueva's work???

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Ashley needs to go to the GPF. It will be an invaluable chance to show up other skaters and further establish herself as a contender.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
I agree she is a contender and not a second tier skater. Caro had two good seasons and bombs every Olympics. I love her but the jump content is not there. Maybe Mao is a podium lock, but I disagree Caro's programs this year make her look all that special. Ashley is not tall and thin. Who looks better than Alissa? No one, but she can only spin with consistency. I think slams at Ashley's body are unfair. There is clearly a favorite type-skinny minny minny. I think a certain lightness appears missing from Ashley, and maybe everyone can't be Sasha or Mao. I think she looks lovely.

Ashley unfortunately has a weaker LP artistically than last two years. If Chan can use same programs then why should others get automatic ding for same thing? At any rate, only YuNa is absent and Ashley is behind only Mao in the standings. If Ashley could improve her speed a tad and forever lose her double foot when nervous, she'd be close to the best. I waited for her to get her due and it happened. Also with Akiko. She is wonderful. Her last year's LP was amazing. At 28 she has outskated Mao but they overlook that in Japan.

I only want to see YuNa Mao back in those spots if they truly earn it, no questions asked. I'm already tired of 'the big three.' talk. They all make mistakes, only YuNa has the incredible jump consistency. It is still ice. And politics matter. I hope Julia earns the bronzr in Sochi lots of folks have awarded her already. For me, she is not remotely more than a gumby technician. For once, could the numbers be realistic for all?

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
I agree she is a contender and not a second tier skater. Caro had two good seasons and bombs every Olympics. I love her but the jump content is not there. Maybe Mao is a podium lock, but I disagree Caro's programs this year make her look all that special. Ashley is not tall and thin. Who looks better than Alissa? No one, but she can only spin with consistency. I think slams at Ashley's body are unfair. There is clearly a favorite type-skinny minny minny. I think a certain lightness appears missing from Ashley, and maybe everyone can't be Sasha or Mao. I think she looks lovely.

Ashley unfortunately has a weaker LP artistically than last two years. If Chan can use same programs then why should others get automatic ding for same thing? At any rate, only YuNa is absent and Ashley is behind only Mao in the standings. If Ashley could improve her speed a tad and forever lose her double foot when nervous, she'd be close to the best. I waited for her to get her due and it happened. Also with Akiko. She is wonderful. Her last year's LP was amazing. At 28 she has outskated Mao but they overlook that in Japan.

I only want to see YuNa Mao back in those spots if they truly earn it, no questions asked. I'm already tired of 'the big three.' talk. They all make mistakes, only YuNa has the incredible jump consistency. It is still ice. And politics matter. I hope Julia earns the bronzr in Sochi lots of folks have awarded her already. For me, she is not remotely more than a gumby technician. For once, could the numbers be realistic for all?

So, do you think Ashley should skip the GPF?

skateluvr

Record Breaker
No, def go, did I leave that out? She is consistent and I hope we see her on podium. I don't think they will give her gold over decent Mao but silver or bronze should be easy with her jump technique. The judges love Julia, and I agree she technically can come close to YuNa right now, but she is not in same league as an artist with top 5 women. But clean 3/3s are what wins in ladies. Only Chan has this amazing fall cushion. Ashley can win silver. If Mao bombs, which I don't wish, A clean Ashley could get gold. That wou;ld be great, and set her up for her 3rd National title. Grace may have great gifts, but until she gets consistent, Ashley is our girl.

Samantha is my great hope for number 3. Christina was not impressive at TEB. I liked her last season's program's better. She should be consistent with the year off. I'm disappointed now and want Ashley to challenge for gold at GP. Easily win Nationals, and if she cannot podium at Olympics, there is a great chance for World podium-I hope. I believe in her drive.

amc987

On the Ice
Ashley needs to go to the GPF. Hopefully she will skate very well and avoid injuring herself as she did last year. Even if Kostner doesn't make the final (and, imo, that's looking likely because I doubt Carolina will beat Lipnitskaia at CoR with her current jump layout and Julia's inflated PCS. And Kostner needs a win or a silver medal with an outrageously high point total to qualify), the GPF is a great opportunity for Ashley to put her 3/3 out there in international competition. Her programs were more polished overall at TEB, but she had costly mistakes on her jump elements in both the SP and FS. She could do a lot for her medal chances in Sochi if she manages to place top 2 in Fukuoka. If Mao wins and Ashley is a close second, Ashley will separate herself from some of the other contenders (Julia, Adelina, etc.). If Ashley manages to beat Asada and/or Kostner (if Carolina qualifies), it'll be even better for her reputation. Skating 2 clean and well presented programs with her 3F/3T combination is important for Ashley to do before Nationals/the Olympics. That won't happen if she stays home in CA.