Movies you liked but can only watch once | Golden Skate

Movies you liked but can only watch once

Rachael

On the Ice
To keep in fashion, what movies do you like but are hard for you to watch again and again.

AI
The Life of David Gale
The Ring/Ringu

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Easy one for me..........that would be "Sophie's Choice"....loved Meryl Streep and her performance was first rate......but it was an emotional roller coaster I don't want to ride again......42

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
"It's My Party". Came out of the theatre and needed a SERIOUS drink. There's no way I can ever watch it again -- I'm just now growing back the guts I got ripped out from it the first time!

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
Show 42,

EXACTLY! I needed an oxygen tank after the scene where she has to choose between her children. I have seen it one time and refuse to watch it again. She was that convincing.

berthes ghost

Final Flight
I totally lost it when I saw "Francis". By the time she went on 'This is Your Life', I had to leave the theatre and wait for my date in the lobby.

I haven't consciously been avoiding rewatching it, just because my situation is different now and I wouldn't react in the same way, but then again, I'm not sure I'd want to be reminded either.

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
"Frances" WAS pretty intense; I'm not sure I could see it again, either. It's a shame that it wasn't a better movie, because Jessica Lange was superb, and she usually kind of wears on my nerves. Tho come to think of it, this was before I saw her in anything else, so she hadn't gotten on my nerves yet at that point.

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
JonnyCoop,

I agree about Jessica Lange. She can either be sublime or irritating. Overall, I find her body of work to be extremely impressive and most of her career would have to fall into the sublime category. But...I do wish she'd keep her mouth shut sometimes. I was so disappointed in her for making disparaging remarks about our country to a French audience (remarks about the president are one thing, but this country is the reason she is a star...she might do well to keep that in mind). By the way, has anyone here seen "Titus"? What a disturbing (but oh so interesting) film.

eliza88

On the Ice
Silence of the Lambs--I am glad I saw this movie, but it creeped me out so much I could never see it again. It took a long time to get some of the visions out of my head..yikes, the visions are starting again! Must now be forced to think of Patrick Swayze in Dirty Dancing (ooooo, got it, there he is all in black...sigh...)

eliza88

paintbrushhh

Rinkside
Schindler's List was very difficult for me to watch.

Especially at the end, where the actual survivors are shown placing stones on Schindler's grave. It really brought home that this was real, it happened, it was not a dramatization.

Paint...

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
paintbrushhh:

I thought Schindlers List was a powerful movie, but not one I could watch again - especially the shower scene - just too disturbing. I watched it on video and had to leave the room when this scene came.

Other movies:

Lord of The Flies - could not even read the book again! Most disturbing.

The Joy Luck Club - Made me weep.

There are probably more, but I must "pack it in" here. Up early in the morning!

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Any movie about Holocaust that I like (not that I liked that many of them anyway...)

As to Jessica Lange, I have tremendous respect for her for speaking her mind regardless of consequences. I don't think she "owes" anyone anything. My favorite role of hers was actually in a made-for-TV version of Streetcar Named Desire.

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
I am wondering what this show Frances is about? I just don't watch scary or upsetting shows. I can't take it.

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
"Frances" is a dramatization of the life of the 30s actress Frances Farmer, who due to being considered "difficult", was committed to an asylum at least twice. This movie actually plays fast and loose with a lot of the facts; they get the high points right, but based on her autobiography, a lot of the stuff never actually happened. Tho some of the worst stuff portrayed in the movie did.

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
Ptichka,

Normally, I am all for anyone voicing their opinion. But, in the case of movie stars and politics/world issues, there are so many that are more than ready to be outspoken for the media...but so few that are actually willing to address the issues with action when the cameras aren't focused on them. If you are unhappy about something and wish to see it change, then do something! There are some stars that do put forth the effort with financial support to various groups, lobbyists, the formation of foundations, etc., but overall it just seems like an unfortunate "trend" to me. Perhaps Jessica Lange has been more active in changing the things she doesn't agree with, but I am not aware of it. If she has I'd be thrilled and impressed, but so far I see LOL! Sorry, I just get so tired of hearing people complain about how bad things are...and then they do absolutely nothing to remedy the situation. If you don't like your country, what have you done to change it?

This "Frances" sounds interesting, I'll have to check it out.
As for "Silence of the Lambs", I completely agree with Eliza88. I only needed to see that once and the quote "It puts the lotion in the basket" was forever imprinted into my mind. Definitely creepy!

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Sorry, I just get so tired of hearing people complain about how bad things are...and then they do absolutely nothing to remedy the situation. If you don't like your country, what have you done to change it?
Well, Lange IS politically active. She DID take part in demonstrations against the war. So I don't think that this criticism applies to her. As to ordinary people complaining -- unfortunately, there are things where the ONLY thing we can do is vote (which I always do). Issues such as foreign policy, tax policy, repeal of the Patriot Act -- all we can do about this is vote.