Have outfits simply gone over the top? | Page 10 | Golden Skate

Have outfits simply gone over the top?

EVAMARIA

On the Ice
Don't agree at all.love Radinovas Gala costume ...it was Gala, Exhibition not a competition. when I danced ballet we had funny costumes too for the Exhibition it is part of the fun :)

aftertherain

Record Breaker
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m0zrjgipyU1rrjkoyo1_400.jpg

I posted this pic of Adelina Radionova's costume on my facebook wall; I am the only one who disliked it and everyone else gave it rave reviews. None of my friends could figure out why I thought it needed more material covering her and not just illusion fabric.

(You mean Adelina [Sotnikova]?)

I think you need new friends.

All jokes aside, I do agree with you. That is one hideous costume that needs a lot of work done on it.

I posted this pic of Adelina Radionova's costume on my facebook wall; I am the only one who disliked it and everyone else gave it rave reviews. None of my friends could figure out why I thought it needed more material covering her and not just illusion fabric.

Actually, in that close-up it's not so bad because the "illusion" doesn't work. She is clearly completely covered from head to toe.

Adelina herself said that that the first version of the costume was like skating nude. So they darkened the color a little and this is the result.

desertskates

Medalist

Though I agree with Mathman that the "illusion" fabric is clearly opaque, it's still just friggin' weird. The two rows of heavy beading in the chest area could have been lined with the green/blue fabric to create a bandeau type top and made the whole thing way more appealing.

coppertop1

On the Ice
Wow that link posted for Adelina's dress. . . WAY too much flesh, isn't there a deduction for improper costuming? Considering how expensive costumes are, people sure pay a lot for tacky outfits at times! The one that takes the cake for me is the Plastic Giraffe in Overalls (Kulik's costume in 1998). I love Kulik and he definitely deserved this OGM but that costume is just so heavy and tacky.

And what's with the big sparkly crosses on some of Tarasova's program? I know it does suit the mood of the music but less is more for costumes.

Ven

Match Penalty
It must be so bothersome for you not being able to look up their skirt right?
Well get used to it because it will happen more often.

Once again your comment made absolutely no sense, hence my other post from before.
Furthermore it was only an example of black leggings/tights with figure skating costumes, it would look even better with different colors which would bring so many more details to the costumes other than the hussy trashy clubbing look you prefer so much.

Actually I admire class and elegance. But grown women can wear beautiful, elegant dresses that look sexy in a classy way. Yuna's blue Gershwin dress is my favorite ever and a good example. A woman need not be overly modest and prudish and tacky out of fear of being too risque. On the other hand you are right, there are plenty of women out there who have no class or taste and easily walk over the line into sleaze and debauchery. And in the case of younger girls, they should absolutely wear age appropriate clothing, hence my comments about those outfits you posted looking like they should be worn by 10 year old girls, or clowns, or whatever, take your pick.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Don't agree at all.love Radinovas Gala costume ...it was Gala, Exhibition not a competition. when I danced ballet we had funny costumes too for the Exhibition it is part of the fun :)

I agree with you. Radionova's Gala costume suited her music perfectly. She played the part well as a zombie and her dress was one of my favorite for that night. I'd say that the style is 'Victorian Goth' with a hint of steampunk...which I love.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
I think a great variety in costumes is part of what my family and I love about figure skating. We debate about which costumes were best and we have the same amount of fun groaning over bad costumes. We watch it as a sport, of course, but I think it would be a lot less engaging if the costume element were curbed. Let there be fantastic costumes, let there be hideous costumes, and let there be debate about them! Besides, as you can read in this thread, there can be no clear cut consensus on what is beautiful and what is 'trashy'. I'd err on the side of permissiveness so that there can be opportunity for the perfect music to meet the perfect choreography and the perfect costume too.
As an artist, I admire clothed forms and nude forms, are we going to call Michelangelo's 'David' trashy? Hee hee. I know, I know, it's not quite the same, but should we put some trousers on him so as not to offend spectators? Ancient Greeks played sports completely nude. I understand wanting decency and a certain amount of body covered too. In my daily life I am conservative to the point of extreme prudishness- I always wear pants or long skirts, long sleeves even in the summer if I can. But the beauty of the world is in the variety. I'd never want to see everyone adhere to my dress code.
-just my own thoughts. Cheers everyone.

ordinary person

On the Ice
Actually I admire class and elegance. But grown women can wear beautiful, elegant dresses that look sexy in a classy way. Yuna's blue Gershwin dress is my favorite ever and a good example. A woman need not be overly modest and prudish and tacky out of fear of being too risque. On the other hand you are right, there are plenty of women out there who have no class or taste and easily walk over the line into sleaze and debauchery. And in the case of younger girls, they should absolutely wear age appropriate clothing, hence my comments about those outfits you posted looking like they should be worn by 10 year old girls, or clowns, or whatever, take your pick.

The most important part of my comment was already proven in my previous one.
While we're on the subject, i wouldn't ban skin-color tights, but i surely don't see any reason at all why it would be worn other than showing the whole world you're trying to making it look like you're skating with your legs bare in an ice rink where it's like 40 to 50 degrees fahrenheit.That sounds crazy and i for one wouldn't ever do that.The only exception would be if you're portraying a specific character which also makes sense.

As for skin-colored tights looking mature, promoting nudity in cold temperatures does not make you mature but silly and drawing the wrong kind of attention.

I'll try to be a little more specific on the last part of your comment, the videos i posted were merely an example of black leggings only.
We both have never seen outfits with colored tights like red, blue etc so you can't really judge a book by its cover in this case just yet.

Come to think of it, when men wear colored pants it's ok, but if ladies do it it's seen as immature, i find that highly offensive. :disapp:

desertskates

Medalist
I found a picture of Adelina's current long program dress that made me realize I didn't understand the depths of it's trashtastic-ness until now. It shows that the nude bodysuit part underneath the nightgown part also appears to have cutouts :scratch:
It must be lined, because it goes all the way to the top. But her costume designer must have suffered a serious head injury at some point.
http://ph.news.yahoo.com/photos/rus...s-free-skating-programme-photo-111048267.html

Ven

Match Penalty
That outfit looks gross. Have to say she looks like a gladiator wearing a g-string. Not what I would call elegant at all.

But in general there is nothing wrong with flesh colored tights when worn with a beautiful and properly cut dress. Often they provide the best look for most mature and refined outfits.

volk

Final Flight
I think this thread has gone over the top! Skating should be about skating and the discussion about the costumes should be limited. As far as the costumes go they should be different. And not something that could be bought at Macy's.

I don't see anything offensive in Adelina's dress. Yes there is some illusion of fabric. But once you know that there shouldn't be any complains.

MoonlightSkater

On the Ice
I think this thread has gone over the top! Skating should be about skating and the discussion about the costumes should be limited. As far as the costumes go they should be different. And not something that could be bought at Macy's.

I don't see anything offensive in Adelina's dress. Yes there is some illusion of fabric. But once you know that there shouldn't be any complains.

She's a young girl wearing something that hints heavily at nudity. I think that is plenty offensive enough.

Also, if it's related to skating, there is no reason we shouldn't discuss it here. Costumes even are part of the score (impression) and thus are important.