Which ladies -USA -deserve Sochi? | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Which ladies -USA -deserve Sochi?

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States
Sorry I forgot that. Still IMO it was silly and flukey mistake. She typically CAN skate a clean SP at Nationals (odd as internationally she cant even manage that).

I couldn't watch all of the GPs this last year (we don't have Univeral Sports). I had to work most Sundays too but I did catch some LPs on NBC. Did Agnes not do well in both of her short programs at the GPs?

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
I couldn't watch all of the GPs this last year (we don't have Univeral Sports). I had to work most Sundays too but I did catch some LPs on NBC. Did Agnes not do well in both of her short programs at the GPs?

She has actually skated quite good SPs on the Grand Prix the last couple seasons. Just not the flawless and spectacular SPs she skated the last 3 years at Nationals (minus the double axel fluke). Still much better than she has managed in the LPs.

The Reginator

Match Penalty
The word "fair" is thrown around here too often as if objective, incontrovertible marks were possible. We all know that in figure skating, "fair judging" means "judging in the way that I would judge them."

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
The word "fair" is thrown around here too often as if objective, incontrovertible marks were possible. We all know that in figure skating, "fair judging" means "judging in the way that I would judge them."

Exactly. My mom says fair is what you want or think; problem everyone has different interpretations often.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I think Wagner and Gold will make top 3 no matter what even if they flub up a bit so that is one spot. I have no idea who deserves. ARguments could be made that the out of competition Czisny should have the spot. Mirai who seemed to be destined to be world champion and maybe olympic champion; i am not sure she has cured her edge and ur calls especially the latter so she could easily get in trouble with what appears to be a clean skate. She has lost some of that joy even misplaced while skating to Carmen in Vancouver. I would love it if there was a complete miracle and Zhang shocked everyone that would be just too much (and too unlikely). Zawadiak, Gao, Cessario, Wang, Hicks, Edmunds, et al all have a shot it is so wide open. Who knows Flatt could fluke out too but unlikely. Mirai you would think has the best shot in some ways with her experience. Interesting indeed.

TonyaHardlyEver

Rinkside
I think Wagner and Gold will make top 3 no matter what even if they flub up a bit so that is one spot. I have no idea who deserves. ARguments could be made that the out of competition Czisny should have the spot. Mirai who seemed to be destined to be world champion and maybe olympic champion; i am not sure she has cured her edge and ur calls especially the latter so she could easily get in trouble with what appears to be a clean skate. She has lost some of that joy even misplaced while skating to Carmen in Vancouver. I would love it if there was a complete miracle and Zhang shocked everyone that would be just too much (and too unlikely). Zawadiak, Gao, Cessario, Wang, Hicks, Edmunds, et al all have a shot it is so wide open. Who knows Flatt could fluke out too but unlikely. Mirai you would think has the best shot in some ways with her experience. Interesting indeed.

The USFSA loves a good comeback story. I wouldn't be surprised if Mirai or Flatt made the third spot especially if the other dark horses make a lot of mistakes. We want to show our best skaters to the world so then again Agnes may get the spot if she has a clean LP. Anything can happen but bank on Wagner and Gold unless they get injured. I'd like to see Gao get the third spot or Mirai so she can get a second chance. We will have to wait and see what happens.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If Flatt made the team it means the US Ladies have regressed to the point we are sending a skater who is not competitive anymore to the Olympics. She is getting scores that wouldn't beat the top Junior skaters.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Flatt is not going to make the Olympic team and I am sure she doesn't expect to.

Nagasu wants to make the Olympic team, but I'm not sure she has been willing to do the work required until recently, and IMO it's too little too late. I'm not convinced she has licked the UR problem and think she got lucky at CoR with a very lenient caller (Miahara, Imai and Murakami usually get dinged with lots of URs, but they each got just one). Mirai has been getting very average PCS scores from international judges because she is expressionless throughout much of her programs and makes no attempt to 'sell' them. This leaves judges with the impression that she is bored with her programs and that keeps her scores down.

b-man

Final Flight
ISU international season best scores. 2013-14 season- US ladies scoring above 150

3. Wagner - 194.37 - TEB
8. Gold - 186.65 - SC
12. Karen Chen - 179.08 - JGP Kosice
14. Nagasu - 175.37 - Rostelecom
15. Gao - 173.69 - SC
16. Cesario - 172.70 - TEB
17. Edmunds - 171.21 - JGP Mexico
25. Amber Glenn - 164.18 - JGP Czech
26. Zawadzki - 163.21 - Rostelecom
29. Cain - 162.39 - Nebelhorn
30. Hicks - 162.00- SC
35. Wang - 155.87- JGP Czech
38. M. Bell - 153.17- JGP Mexico

Last edited:

aragray

Rinkside
i don't know enough about the US ladies to comment on who 'deserves' to go to Sochi, but i'm a huge fan of Gracie's skating style so i'll be rooting for her. Wagner has a pretty LP with a lot of potential and she's almost definitely a lock. I like Cesario's flare but there's something about Gao that stands out to me more. So i guess my [hopeful] picks would be Gracie, Wagner, and Gao

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Ashley, Samantha, and Polina are the ones that DESERVE Sochi - they are the only ladies we can trust to deliver decent performances consistently right now, but I feel that Ashley is the only one out of this group that will definitely get to go.

Gracie will likely get to go but I don't have faith that she will necessarily deliver there and as for the 3rd spot, I feel like USFS wants to give it to Zawadzki, Gao, or Nagasu although none of them have been that strong or consistent this season. Cesario or Edmunds, maybe even Hicks, could get the 3rd spot but likely only if the three I just mentioned all make a muck of it at Nationals. Cesario was lowballed at Nats last season and my guess is it happens again because they feel like she is not enough of a "star" to be on the Olympics, which is silly because she's a great competitor, always delivers creditable performances, and has no real weakness to her skating. And then Edmunds is a star in the making and is also pretty consistent.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Wagner clearly deserves Sochi at this point, and should be named to the team before Nationals. If she were from any other country she probably would.

Gold should make it but only if she skates fairly well at Nationals, but unfortunately will probably be given the spot on a silver platter (literally with a silver at Nationals) regardless if she earns it or not.

Bronze should and will go to whoever skates better at Nationals. Before the Rostelecom Cup I might have said Nagasu wouldnt be given it no matter what, but after her strong showing there she will be allowed to get it if she outskates all other contenders.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Wagner is still a mess. Very lucky to get a medal at the gpf.
Had they scored Julia correctly, caro would have been in the gpf, and most likely push her out of the medal stand.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Wagner is still a mess. Very lucky to get a medal at the gpf.
Had they scored Julia correctly, caro would have been in the gpf, and most likely push her out of the medal stand.

You might also want to blame God for Yuna's injury because that would have pushed terrible Ashley down another spot :rolleye:

silverlake22

Record Breaker
You might also want to blame God for Yuna's injury because that would have pushed terrible Ashley down another spot :rolleye:

Sheesh people, Ashley had a great SP and decent FS at the GPF and people are acting as if she had a total meltdown. As for the jokes about "thanking Adelina for her medal", that was uncalled for, they were basically tied going into the FS and Ashley beat Adelina by 15 points in the FS. Those comments were out of line, I'd get it if she maybe snuck in for a medal by the skin of her teeth or if she had had a FS on par with Adelina's and still managed to medal, but she didn't. Plus it's pretty obvious with the scoring that the judges will give the bronze (or 4th place, etc.) over Julia if she can deliver the technical goods, she has a clear buffer in PCS to Julia and so it all comes down to execution. Ashley has been a solid skater for years and has some stellar achievements she can be real proud of, so people who say she's just not that good and Gracie was robbed at Nats need to just get some perspective. Gracie's been on the senior international stage for a year and a half and hasn't achieved 1/4 of what Ashley has in her career thus far, sure she has loads of talent but it hasn't amounted to that much YET...in the future, maybe it will. But anyways wow I'm getting annoyed at posters and TSL who seem to think Ashley is just like lucky or something and not that good.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Sheesh people, Ashley had a great SP and decent FS at the GPF and people are acting as if she had a total meltdown. As for the jokes about "thanking Adelina for her medal", that was uncalled for, they were basically tied going into the FS and Ashley beat Adelina by 15 points in the FS. Those comments were out of line, I'd get it if she maybe snuck in for a medal by the skin of her teeth or if she had had a FS on par with Adelina's and still managed to medal, but she didn't. Plus it's pretty obvious with the scoring that the judges will give the bronze (or 4th place, etc.) over Julia if she can deliver the technical goods, she has a clear buffer in PCS to Julia and so it all comes down to execution. Ashley has been a solid skater for years and has some stellar achievements she can be real proud of, so people who say she's just not that good and Gracie was robbed at Nats need to just get some perspective. Gracie's been on the senior international stage for a year and a half and hasn't achieved 1/4 of what Ashley has in her career thus far, sure she has loads of talent but it hasn't amounted to that much YET...in the future, maybe it will. But anyways wow I'm getting annoyed at posters and TSL who seem to think Ashley is just like lucky or something and not that good.

We don't always agree, but ITA with you on this one. Yeah it wasn't a her best program, but she actually scored better in the FS at GPF this year (119+) than last year (115+), when she had two falls.

And 119+, FWIW, is still better than any FS Gracie (and the rest of the U.S. ladies) have done this season. And internationally it's still the 14th highest FS score among all the ladies. And as far as the number of ladies who have scored higher than 119, that's even a smaller number: Mao, Julia, Adelina, Akiko, Elena, Anna P, Liza and Carolina.

That said, she can't turn in that performance if she wants to medal. but at her best, she still on the high end of hte scoring range. As of right now she is No. 3 in ISU Season's Best as far as overall score.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I was kidding. I love Ashley but FlattFan is particularly hard on her.

I laughed at your post. :) But there does seem to be a contingent of of folks who seem to think Ashley is doomed based on this one performance. While that group includes her harshest critics, it also seems to include fans who believe this is some sort of indicator of terrible things.