Which ladies -USA -deserve Sochi? | Golden Skate

Which ladies -USA -deserve Sochi?

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Ash, Grace ,Sam.

will Sam get recognized at nationals? do the judges prefer hicks, agnes, mirai?

noskates

Record Breaker
As much as I have a fondness for Mirai, I think she's lost her competitive edge. I think it's going to be Ashley/Gracie (not sure who will be first or second) and Sam. Sam did an awesome job at TEB and I hope the Nat judges score her favorably. I don't think Agnes should even be considered - sorry to say. She's just not a competitor and I would honestly not want her representing us at the Olys.

wordsworthgirl

Medalist
Ashley and Gracie for sure, although I am not a big Gold fan.

I adore Mirai too, but I don't think she can do it. Even when she skates "clean" she gets so many UR calls.

The 3rd spot was Christina Gao's until her debacle at TEB. I LOVED Sam this weekend! I don't trust Agnes to deliver, and I just can't bear the idea of watching Hicks at the Olympics- no basic skating skills and no artistry. How about Polina Edmunds? She is a highly lauded junior making her senior nationals debut. Why not send a bright future prospect who has triple triples and good choreography?

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Can someone who know's cesrio's skating critique her progeams, her skill and if she will have merit here in Jan. and with world judges? Opinions on Sam please?

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
She seems to compete well- a huge plus. She gets UR calls, but didn't so much at TEB. I love her skating. And the first place US girl is unsure of a medal at the Olympics-the theird place US girl is just along for the ride. I'd like it to be Sam, but she's not going to medal. USFS should send the 3rd place girl from Nationals.

flying camel

Medalist
So far I am also going with Ashley, Gracie and Cesario. Maybe Cesario will have better scoring potential with the 3 loop/ 3 toe. I have GAO in 4th, hicks 5th.

The third place skater is going to be very important. It has to be someone who can back up Ashley or Gracie if for some reason they can't skate in the team competition. One of them may not be able to skate and may need to rest for a few days. I feel like Sam or maybe GAO could do that. Courtney could to but she is just not going to score well. I would not trust Agnes to skate and Mirai will get called for UR if she does skate well. I have felt for years that Mirai was burnt out. She should have taken a year off after the Olympics.

I don't think they will give Polina a chance. She will be sent to world juniors for sure.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
If they score Agnes like they did last year the other ladies have no chance for that third spot. She almost won the SP with a fall.

If the judges score everyone like international judges do, then maybe Hicks, Gao or Cesario can get the spot. I like Hick's chances because she can get so many more points on the jumps, but she can't have a bad program like she did at SC.

minze

Medalist
Nothing against Cesario, she sells her programs very well..... But skating in a competition with the top ladies, Kim Yuna, Mao Asada, Carolina, Akiko, Gracie and Ahsley to name a few, you will see how weak her skating skills can be. In Paris, she was slow. But if she gives the performace of her life at nationals do send her

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
But skating in a competition with the top ladies, Kim Yuna, Mao Asada, Carolina, Akiko, Gracie and Ahsley to name a few, you will see how weak her skating skills can be. In Paris, she was slow. But if she gives the performace of her life at nationals do send her

I agree with you. The third skater will absolutely not factor into the medals at Sochi so it may as well be the person who earns it at Nationals.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
Ashely and Gracie for sure, since they are the two who earned three spots for the US. And the 3rd at this moment, pretty clear Sam: she has an amazing style, good looking lines (which Agnes does not have) and with her limited international or even national competitions, she showed that she can handle the pressure and being consistent.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
which ones deserve it? the ones who prove their strength this season.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Ashley, gold and Czisny... I still hope a stunning comeback from Czisny... or Cesario will go

This. If Czisny can do a beautiful SP and a beautiful LP with 3 Triples, a couple double axels, and a couple double lutzes, then I think she deserves to go. Otherwise Cesario is definitely the best choice. She consistently does clean 6-Triple LP's with more choreographic interest than any of the other remaining ladies.

flying camel

Medalist
I fear that if Agnes nails the SP at nationals she will score over 60 plus. So, for her LP she could hit a few triple jumps and a couple of double axel and make the team. The SP could seal the deal for her. Cesario scored around 56 and GAO scored around 58 at TEB in the SP. That may be too much ground for them to make up in the LP. Agnes may not have to do much more then she usually does to make the team.

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States
Who deserves it? The best three overall leading up to the Olympics including the GPs and Nationals. So far that would be Ashley/Gracie no brainer there and for the moment Samantha Cesario.

In my heart of hearts I wanted Mirai to go. But she just doesn't look in top form this season. In fact she looks the worse that I've ever seen her. I hope she stays in after Sochi and has a great comeback ala Kostner/Wagner :cry:

I was disgusted when the judges at Nationals gave Agnes a 65+ with a fall in the SP. Mirai deserved an even higher score by that standard and should have been in 2nd going into the LP. How demoralizing is it to know going in that no matter how great you skate the flavor of the moment is going to be held up no matter what. I felt the same about Gracie. Imo she shouldn't have even been in the top 10 after the SP, although she did deserve to win the LP.

wordsworthgirl

Medalist
For all of you answering, "the top 3 at Nationals," I essentially agree, but I think our original poster, skateluvr, was raising a really good point/question about the fairness of the judging at Nationals- in other words, she was suggesting that the judges at nationals may favor Agnes or Gao over Sam or Mirai even if the latter skated clean. Her question was trying to push towards exploring that possibility, I think, and also towards assessing overall most deserving candidates regardless of judging.

Icey

Record Breaker
Nothing against Cesario, she sells her programs very well..... But skating in a competition with the top ladies, Kim Yuna, Mao Asada, Carolina, Akiko, Gracie and Ahsley to name a few, you will see how weak her skating skills can be. In Paris, she was slow. But if she gives the performace of her life at nationals do send her

Currently in the isu season world standings Cesario is 6th; Ashley 5th.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don't think Cesario will get the third spot. There will be a lot of competition for that third spot. Agnes and Christina have more of a track record at Nationals as, of course, do Mirai and Alyssa. I personally do not think Alyssa will come back. Mirai could surprise (or maybe it's just wishful thinking). I think Agnes is the best bet right now.