Reworking Ashley Wagner's Olympic Season LP into a great program, podium material | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Reworking Ashley Wagner's Olympic Season LP into a great program, podium material

lcd

Match Penalty
I agree. Interesting(ish) but also strange thread.

The podium will be in sight if she nails her elements and emotes with energy, power, etc etc in the final 45 seconds. HAS to nail the elements. In singles, depressingly, I don't find that much finessing of programs really matters.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
I disagree that finessing of programs doesn't matter. There is a reason why Lipnitskaya is suddenly a huge contender - because her Long Program has made people FEEL something very strongly. Of course she has great technical ability as well, but so do Radionova and Pogorilaya, and they will not be getting the PCS of Lipnitskaya. The judging is almost never accurate, and maybe certain artistic elements won't be properly rewarded, but you need to give yourself every opportunity.

Ashley's program as it is now will not put her where she wants to be. She isn't "controlling her own destiny". She is waiting for others to make mistakes. Her PCS should be better than where they have been all season. She has the maturity and ability and momentum and political backing to skate programs that will produce a 70 on that mark. But her program isn't good enough. Even if she skates perfectly, people won't FEEL the same about her skating. They will appreciate, they will respect, and they may be excited to some extent, but they won't LOVE. Ashley needs to move people more. She needs a better program to do that.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
She needs to worry about peaking not reworking her programs even with her two footed 3-3 if she already peaked wont help anyways
spend less time on shopping, making statements for endorsement and money objectives and train, she has Gracie always in her back
Gracie hopefully will finally knock her in Nationals as first place

her PCS should definitely decrease by Olympic, she is at par with Sotnikova, Gold etc.
it will be a travesty if she gets a higher PCS than Kostner and Julia, that would be a joke !!!

Blades of Passion

Record Breaker
Country
France
it will be a travesty if she gets a higher PCS than Kostner and Julia, that would be a joke !!!

No it wouldn't be. She has the ability.

But clearly her lack of great material is exactly why you feel this way.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
No it wouldn't be. She has the ability.

But clearly her lack of great material is exactly why you feel this way.

her programs this year are a lackluster, it makes her worn out too
and she already doesn't have the best basics to begin with

this would worked with Gracie better who has speed, power because of this can skate to any music
by Olympics rolls in , Sotnikova should even out or pass her in PCS , rightfully Gracie should too

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Sotnikova, Gold, and Ashley should all get better PCS than Julia.

Word. Unless they bomb, they should all be getting higher than Julia. Wagner and Sotnikova in particular should be getting at least 5 points higher PCS than Julia in a relatively clean FS.

Of course, it will be on Russian ice, and given CoR, one can imagine that the PCS scores will favour Julia. If she can get a PB with 3 triples landed, she'll probably be on par with Wagner/Sotnikova come Sochi.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I disagree that finessing of programs doesn't matter. There is a reason why Lipnitskaya is suddenly a huge contender - because her Long Program has made people FEEL something very strongly. Of course she has great technical ability as well, but so do Radionova and Pogorilaya, and they will not be getting the PCS of Lipnitskaya.

Her programs are her best yet, but let's be real... it's her 3Z-3T and 2A-3T that are making her a contender, when her main competitors are struggling to land even 5 or 6 triples.

I am really looking forward to the GPF as we will finally get to see how Julia stacks up against the other Russians and Wagner. Mao should win it, but 2-6th place might be an early preview of what the bronze battle could look like.

I would certainly not be surprised if Radionova defeated Lipnitskaia.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
I agree clock is ticking. I think Ashley could get the bronze with the the increased jump content, but her Lp should have been black swan with new costume, new look, and she'd get the PCS she deserves. She is a very polished skater. I expect Caro to struggle, so Ashley has to contend with Kim, who likely gets gold despite very meh programs so far, Mao, a favorite who gets higher PCS than anyone but YuNa and Julia who clearly is a competitor with a package the judges love this year. The music is the whole deal. And she is good, very good-the best Russian skating now. So sadly I see Ashley skating her heart out and getting 4-6. I love her. I feel she is a beautiful skater with very good jump technique. Philip Mills was the choreographer for her. I feel she deserves the best-she's worked so hard to be as good as she is. good luck, ash. She must be clean to have any chance.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker

It's insane to think that Ashley could do 5 triples and 2 double axels in her second half when it's apparent that she's having trouble dealing with 4 triples and a 2A. Look at her GPF second half of her FS... and you want to *add* more jump content to that second half?!? :unsure: Time might be ticking for her to get consistency but let's not turn her into a ticking time bomb, shall we?

Blades of Passion

Record Breaker
Country
France
Yet again you ignore everything that has been said. You really don't get it. Ashley's Triple-Triple in the first half tires her out more and she is trying to do a three-jump combo late into the second half of her program, which she has messed up all season. 5 Triples and 2 double axels in the second half is the best layout for her. As I've said a hundred times now, the only difference in that second half anyway would be a 3Toe+2Axel sequence instead of a Layback spin, and no 3-jump combo in the second half. With no Triple-Triple in the program and no three-jump combo in the second half, it would actually be easier for her AND score more points, both technically and on PCS (given the changed music cut and choreography edits).

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Yet again you ignore everything that has been said. You really don't get it. Ashley's Triple-Triple in the first half tires her out more and she is trying to do a three-jump combo late into the second half of her program, which she has messed up all season. 5 Triples and 2 double axels in the second half is the best layout for her. As I've said a hundred times now, the only difference in that second half anyway would be a 3Toe+2Axel sequence instead of a Layback spin, and no 3-jump combo in the second half. With no Triple-Triple in the program and no three-jump combo in the second half, it would actually be easier for her AND score more points, both technically and on PCS (given the changed music cut and choreography edits).

Changing her 3-3 to a 3-2-2 will not somehow save her the energy to cleanly execute her current 2nd half with an extra triple and double axel. That makes no sense. And with no 3-3, her PCS won't be as maxed out because her perceived difficulty will be less than skaters who are including a 3-3. You clearly do not understand Ashley's capabilities. I cannot think of any female skaters in history who have thought to attempt 5 triples (including the 3 hardest) and two 2As all back to back (in the 2nd half no less), and while it's sweet of you to think Ashley can do that, you are sorely mistaken. I'm sure Ashley's camp will be contacting you shortly for your stellar choreographic services. :sarcasm:

Blades of Passion

Record Breaker
Country
France
Changing her 3-3 to a 3-2-2 will not somehow save her the energy.

Yes it will, especially since that 3-jump combo would no longer be in the second half. Have you ever done these moves or at least talked in depth with female competitors who are? You should at least read up on the science behind twitch muscle fibers and look at Ashley's build and her history. While it's not on the same level as a guy doing a Quad, the principle is the same. Every skater has 'X' amount of "energy". You do a Quad and it takes more out of you than any other move, leaving you with less energy for the remainder of the program. Hence why adding a Quad into a program makes the entire program more difficult. Doing that Triple-Triple for Ashley (and most other women) is the highest expenditure of energy.

And with no 3-3, her PCS won't be as maxed out because her perceived difficulty will be less than skaters who are including a 3-3.

No it won't. You only need the 3-3 for the SP. Once you've done it there, the judges know you can do it. Endurance, execution of elements, and PCS are the focuses of the LP. A 3-3 combo can add excitement to a program, which helps PCS, but it's only one method of doing so. A clean 7-Triple program without a 3-3 is perfectly fine as long as the program is good. Wagner should have been focusing this whole season on getting her PCS at or near the level of Yu-Na/Asada/Kostner. A bad program with a 3-3 isn't going to do it (especially with mistakes) and she has just been losing ground all year.

Sochi_2014

On the Ice
Changing her 3-3 to a 3-2-2 will not somehow save her the energy to cleanly execute her current 2nd half with an extra triple and double axel. That makes no sense.

I agree, she needs to stick with the 3-3 to stay competitive with everyone else. If she doesn't the judges are going to push her down, because the perceived difficulty will be lower. While I do think Wagner is fabulous and inspiring, I would find it hard to believe that she (or any skater) could execute 5 triples and 2 double axels (with +GOE) in the 2nd half. The 10% bonus is great in the second half, but only if you can cleanly execute the jumps. If not, it defeats the purpose. Also, when Ashley gets tired or loses confidence, she tends to two-foot her landings. So if she had any problems earlier in the program, the whole thing could just escalate into a big mess.

Blades of Passion

Record Breaker
Country
France
As I predicted, the Triple-Triple attempts in the LP did nothing but hurt her score all year long.

She needs to start playing the game better. A score of over 140 can be obtained without a Triple-Triple. She has such potential. If only she was given the right vehicle.

hyperinflation

Match Penalty
A score of over 140 can be obtained without a Triple-Triple.

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...........................

Blades of Passion

Record Breaker
Country
France
She wants to challenge herself, let it go.

There many different ways to challenge oneself. The SP is better for challenging a 3-3. The challenge in the LP should be focused on the choreography, the transitions, backloaded jumps, and spin base values. That's what is most intelligent for her.

140 without a 3-3?! As in outside of US nationals? :laugh: Right. She is no Kostner.

3-3 doesn't mean anything. Everything is worth a certain amount of points and a heavily backloaded 7-Triple program with all of the double jumps maximized is worth more points than most standard jump layouts that include a 3-3.

If Kostner skated that kind of layout perfectly she could score 150. Ashley can get over 140 if she were to deliver it.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
If Wagner did your layout of jumps plus the 14.5 she had for BV of other elements, her BV would have been 59.54. Say she got GOE of 10 points for a clean skate which is actually pretty generour, she would have had a TES score of 69.54. So her PCS score would have had to be 70.46, without a 3-3.... and unless she pulled some Lipnitskaia craziness, or somehow transformed into a Kostner, there's no way she would have cleared 140.

And yet again, Wagner made a mistake on her 3-jump combo because she was running out of steam. And you want to add another jumping pass in there?

But again, that's besides the point... Ashley sees herself as needing a 3-3 to be competitive, and she does if she wants to win, or at least get credibility for at least trying to hang with the high-difficulty skaters.