Ladies SP - 2013 Rostelecom Cup | Page 17 | Golden Skate

Ladies SP - 2013 Rostelecom Cup

Becki

Medalist
Does anyone else think Miyahara was underscored in PCs? I thought she had great maturity on the ice, and good skating skills... :S

elee63

Final Flight
Does anyone else think Miyahara was underscored in PCs? I thought she had great maturity on the ice, and good skating skills... :S

Love the style she's developing. Very light and dainty (although it probably comes pretty naturally considering her size).

My problem is that you can see her thinking. It kind of detracts from the music, which calls for effortlessness and a little 'letting go' especially when it starts to build.

But I agree. Especially when you compare her to Imai, you can see that Miyahara is not just moving her arms because that's what the choreographer told her to do.
And loved how she started with the step sequence. But doing something out of the box may very well have effected the PCS in the end.
And don't forget we're in Russia.

chloepoco

Medalist

I think Satoko is a really, lovely skater...and yes, I agree she has great maturity on the ice. She's quickly becoming one of my new favorites!!

Becki

Medalist
I think Satoko is a really, lovely skater...and yes, I agree she has great maturity on the ice. She's quickly becoming one of my new favorites!!

Yeah, I think Satoko will become a great champion one day, but unfortunately it won't be this year. Her biggest drawback is her small stature and lowish jumps.

koatcue

Medalist
Country
Russia
By the way, the British Eurosport guys tend to agree that Julia is excuisite :) And that she might "rival for gold at Sochi". Not gold but a medal contender I think. But still, she was the best in the short and if she wasn't overmarked, her score would be 70. Still better than many girls in other events.

elif

Medalist

I don't know. Her PCS at the NHK was 26.31. That was home ice for her too. She got 25.53 there. I like her. I hope she can rotate that jumps in the future. Without Asada and Suzuki, Japanese team is not looking strong for future. I like Imai's jumps. She have so much distance. I hope she have lutz or flip for the free.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Many thanks to Mao88 I was able to watch the SPs... the only one I liked was Julia's. The more I watch Caro's the more I think it's a rip off of Josee Chouinard's amazing program to the same music (and apparently choreography :disapp: ), and Caro just does not compare. Josee really got the heart and character of the piece... Caro only seems to have it for a split second at the beginning.

I'm not a fan of any of the ladies competing at this event, very dull competition really. Hoping the LP will be better.

Mao88

Record Breaker
LADIES SHORT PROGRAM - VIDEOS (By Starting Order) - Updated

Warm-Up Group 1

1. Nikol GOSVIANI (RUS) Short Program
2. Mirai NAGASU (USA) Short Program
3. Satoko MIYAHARA (JPN) Short Program, 2nd Copy
4. Haruka IMAI (JPN) Short Program, 2nd Copy

Warm-Up Group 2

5. Agnes ZAWADZKI USA Short Program
6. Elizaveta TUKTAMYSHEVA (RUS) Short Program, 2nd Copy
7. Kanako MURAKAMI (JPN) Short Program, 2nd Copy
8. Julia LIPNITSKAIA (RUS) Short Program, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy
9. Carolina KOSTNER (ITA) Short Program, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy

Warm-Up Group 2 (Complete)

RESULT

Overall Result, Segment Result, Protocols

Mirunna

Record Breaker
Julia's reaction to her score is priceless. She is fierce as hell and I love that about her :biggrin:
Carolina's program is, at least to me, very special. I can't believe this is her last season, she will be dearly missed :no:
Mirai was underscored yesterday

sweetskates1

Medalist
I agree on all counts!!! I think Julia has a lot of personality and will be fun to watch even though she does nothing for me - small jumps and meh imo. Carolina's program is OGM worthy and she will definitely leave huge shoes to fill. Mirai was way underscored - deserved 120 +.

Julia's reaction to her score is priceless. She is fierce as hell and I love that about her :biggrin:
Carolina's program is, at least to me, very special. I can't believe this is her last season, she will be dearly missed :no:
Mirai was underscored yesterday

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States
The judging of this event gave me death in my soul. I should be cynical enough to know that is the case already - yes - but it was a particularly in-your-face confirmation that it's all about politics/momentum and the judges don't see to be very concerned with how the elements and the programs are actually performed on the ice... :(

Do you mean in general or in that particular performance?

In that particular performance, the axel maybe didn't have a great deal of height but it wasn't done barely-over-the-ice-Lipinski-style either and it was well-balanced on the landing and had good speed out so I'd say +1 GOE.

However:

There wasn't a lot of speed and flow out of neither the lutz (which had a slightly 'heavy' landing, she seemed to have her weight on most of the blade straight away) nor the toe and there was hesitation between the two jumps. Base GOE would have been fine but I don't see how +1 and +2 could be applicable to that element.

There was a short gap after the footwork preceding the 3flip and it was off an unclear edge, if you want to give her the benefit of the doubt (and the panel did). She was on the outside edge when the step into the jump was almost finished and appeared to be rolling onto the inside edge just before lift-off. In real time, I thought it was a lip but would have to watch it frame-by-frame to be 100% sure of the edge status when she took off.

In general, unclear edges on flip and lutz is something we've seen from her in the past (and yes, she doesn't get as much height as most skaters - but then, she is quite tiny).

I mean in particular. The axel seems to be her weakest/lowest jump but it's not Tara-esque - not to me anyway. She's tiny but I think she'll grow at least a couple of inches and her jumps will probably get a little bit higher if the puberty monster is kind to her.

Rami

Rinkside

IMO she was underscored. She is musical and interprets the music well.