Ladies SP - 2013 Rostelecom Cup | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Ladies SP - 2013 Rostelecom Cup

andyjo24

Medalist
Wow... Looks like Kostner will have to up her content to 3flip-3toe in the SP. Judges are clearly sending her a message that she's not the clear favorite for an Olympic medal anymore. But it's great to see the improvement from Coc.

Shayuki

Record Breaker
4.5 point advantage for Lipnitskaia.

It's going to be difficult for Kostner to defeat Lipnitskaia here, especially considering that the FS is the stronger skate for Lipnitskaia.

The tiebreaker also seems impossible for Kostner with such a low SP score. She needs to win.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Julia has clean sticky jumps and fast spins
what more can you ask

Julia should have recieved 75+ in the SP
Well Julia's speed and ice coverage are not that great and her jumps are tiny. That 2axel barely gets off the ground. So yes she was overscored. If she grows anymore or her body actually develops she will lose thois jumps.

Ambivalent

On the Ice
Julia's good, but I thought her PCS were about 3 points higher. She should have led, but only be 2 or so points over Carolina.

andyjo24

Medalist
4.5 point advantage for Lipnitskaia.

It's going to be difficult for Kostner to defeat Lipnitskaia here, especially considering that the FS is the stronger skate for Lipnitskaia.

The tiebreaker also seems impossible for Kostner with such a low SP score. She needs to win.

But will Julia be able to handle the pressure of skating last. I would say yes, but who knows?

But then again, Caro never skates a clean FS...

Shayuki

Record Breaker
Well Julia's speed and ice coverage are not that great and her jumps are tiny. That 2axel barely gets off the ground. So yes she was overscored. If she grows anymore or her body actually develops she will lose thois jumps.

You say "jumps" but it's only her axel that's bad. The others are the best in this GP by a wide margin. She also had the most difficult program. Also, can you remove the ifs and go back to that -when- it happens?

sky_fly20

Match Penalty

Julia has improved her 2A, it gets more height as she has curved her jump up in the air instead of just rotating it
Julia should have gotten a 75+ here

your delusional, you've been saying Julia will lose her jumps since she was what 13 ?
she is growing and she still has her jumps and has gotten better

so deal with it !!!
stop your whining

andyjo24

Medalist

I agree with the speed and ice coverage, but technically wise, I think she was given fair marks. For example, she was only given 0.21 GOE for the 2axel.

bluesky85

On the Ice
Julia's good, but I thought her PCS were about 3 points higher. She should have led, but only be 2 or so points over Carolina.

You are not the only one who thinks so... Jammers, Moment, and Mylastduchess also seem to think that way.

I think Julia might be tiny bit over scored, but not too much. I would give about 1.5-2 points less GOE for her jumps and step, although I think her GOE for her spins are well deserved. Also I would have given her 2 points less for her PCS, since I think there should be about 3 point difference between Kostner and Julia in terms of PCS. So that makes is only about 3.5-4 points lower (68+), which is still very very good.

All in all she was great and deserved her place. Also, remember it's taking place in Russia :) So the judges can do what they did to Japanese skaters in NHK!!

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Julia has improved her 2A, it gets more height as she has curved her jump up in the air instead of just rotating it
Julia should have gotten a 75+ here

She's a Tara Lipinksi jumper--horizontal not vertical, but with great rotation. If the 2axel is getting more height it's incremental rather than monumental. But for 15 she does skate with remarkable maturity.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
"That's not my music!" says the announcer...and Kanako starts again. Does this happen often? I imagine it could be very unnerving...

IIRC, at U.S. Nats in 2013, Max Aaron was on the ice in his opening pose for his SP .... when his FS music started playing instead.
In his case, he still skated a terrific SP, placing fourth -- and set the stage for his surprising overall win with an even more terrific FS.
In an interview after the SP, he was asked to comment on the music glitch, and he answered something about needing to quickly "get back into the zone."

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
You say "jumps" but it's only her axel that's bad. The others are the best in this GP by a wide margin. She also had the most difficult program. Also, can you remove the ifs and go back to that -when- it happens?

Jammers has been saying all these prepubescent girls will lose their jumps and none of them did
the delusion is spinning too much :laugh:

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
She's a Tara Lipinksi jumper--horizontal not vertical, but with great rotation. If the 2axel is getting more height it's incremental rather than monumental. But for 15 she does skate with remarkable maturity.

I know her 2A is horizontal style technique ala Lipinski but Im saying it that it gets more height now on its curve

Moment

Final Flight
I can see FlattFan fuming. This time he/she could actually make sense with his/her argument.

Is Carolina's 3loop really of comparable quality to Julia's 3flip? Her step sequence deserves only +0.30 higher GOE than Julia's?

So many questions here :)

Shayuki

Record Breaker
Jammers has been saying all these prepubescent girls will lose their jumps and none of them did
the delusion is spinning too much :laugh:

And with like Midori Ito she got better at jumping when she matured. I really don't get all this speculation. You say that about 10 skaters and it happens to one, then you go like "See I told you!". That's not how it works.

bluesky85

On the Ice
But will Julia be able to handle the pressure of skating last. I would say yes, but who knows?

But then again, Caro never skates a clean FS...

I would say yes, she will probably be able to handle the pressure. She has the nerve of steel!! At least so far...

sk8ingcoach

On the Ice
Ridiculous under scoring for Kostner

a judge gave her a 0 for that loop. and it only had three +2's ???? should have been all +2

Same with the 2A.

The same judge gave only a +1 for the step sequence.

Less than 1 point above in PCS ??? She should have been 3 points above. Only .32 above in skating skills. What are the judges doing ??

Mao88

Record Breaker
LADIES SHORT PROGRAM - VIDEOS (By Starting Order)

Warm-Up Group 1

1. Nikol GOSVIANI (RUS)
2. Mirai NAGASU (USA)
3. Satoko MIYAHARA (JPN)
4. Haruka IMAI (JPN)

Warm-Up Group 2

5. Agnes ZAWADZKI USA
6. Elizaveta TUKTAMYSHEVA (RUS)
7. Kanako MURAKAMI (JPN) Short Program
8. Julia LIPNITSKAIA (RUS)
9. Carolina KOSTNER (ITA)

RESULT