Pairs SP - 2013 Rostelecom Cup | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Pairs SP - 2013 Rostelecom Cup

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
I agree S&S should ditch the 3axel throw. They will never be consistent on it, and especialy in the short program it is a pointless risk. Their best bet is to try and skate a clean 2 programs (something that has never been easy for them anyway) and just hope V&T have an unusual very off event with major errors.

tulosai

Record Breaker
I agree S&S should ditch the 3axel throw. They will never be consistent on it, and especialy in the short program it is a pointless risk. Their best bet is to try and skate a clean 2 programs (something that has never been easy for them anyway) and just hope V&T have an unusual very off event with major errors.

:thumbsup: If they must try the 3A throw, it should be as a sort of 'hail mary pass' in the LP. It is truly insanity for them to keep attempting it in the short. It is obvious they have far less than a 25% success rate on it. At best their success rate might be 20% or one in five.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
But maybe they want all or nothing? Maybe they are not satisfied with the "easy" way out. Who are we to say what's right or wrong for two athletes who worked so hard for years to reach this moment. It is their last season, their last Olympics. If they want it that way, I cannot fault them for it. I think they will always have regrets, if they change their minds now. They have nothing left to loose - they should go for it. It is highely unlikely that they can hope for V/T to falter at the Olympics.

Ilvskating

Final Flight
Although it doesn't seem to make sense, at this stage, doing the two 3A appears to be the only chance S/S could beat V/T. As they only want Gold, then that's the way to go. If they do succeed in landing two 3Ath, even they don't win they will be in the record for doing two:)

3T3T

Final Flight
Country
Ireland
A very dissapointing skate from S/K, I really expected them to be pushing for the poduim and to be ahead of B/L. What happened on the death spiral, she definitely didn't look happy at the end. I think their 3TW is pretty decent, love the unison on the SBS jumps. B/L were better here than in Paris but I think the style of both their programmes are wrong for them, her jumps have not improved at all. Very impressive debut from A/M, I still think she is a bit suspect on the jumps but they threw down a marker today.

I don't get why S/S insist on the Throw 3A, todays fall look quite painfull but they are nothing but fighters, they really want the Olympic gold but it will be a big ask. MT/M are my favourite NA team, I think they have a good shot of the olympic podium but will need to skate clean.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
I kinda felt bad for them too especially since they finally did nail a triple twist. The fact is, though, they are really not that good.

Well I think they are "that good". They are one of the few pairs that actually skates as a pair and artistically they are trying to do more than anyone else, except for maybe Pang/Tong. Hopefully the technical elements will come.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
S/K are super talented, and so young, so much more room for improvement. I think they will overtake the boring and inconsistent B/L as Russian #2 soon. Maybe not this season, but next probably. They just need more experience and consistency.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Or like saying S/K are Russia's number 2 pair and B/L are their number 3 when... oh wait!

:laugh: Typical.

S/K certainly have potential but to think they would podium here was a bit crazy.

Not as crazy as B/L almost matching their personal best after doubling a jump, though. (Their PB is 70.14, and here they got 69.72). I think there needs to be a separate thread showing how each Russian skater/team ended up getting PCS handouts.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
B/L getting higher PCS than the beautiful program and skating of Moore-Towers & Moscovitch, especialy when both botched the jump try, is plain wrong. I bet on neutral ground in Japan this will never happen, unless B/L skate the much cleaner program.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
P/T have their own issues with SBS jumps. I don't think we can declare medals. But the S/S 3A attempts do seem hopeless and I wish that they could find happiness in skating clean even if it doesn't necessarily result in Olympic gold. You never know when V/T might have a disaster skate. It's not likely, but S/S landing that 3A throw on a regular basis seems even less likely.

I really hope she is okay but I also don't want them landing the 3A at olympics. I am not a big fan of flukey victories because of some freak skate. They had their chance in 2010 and they blew it. However, the odds are V and T will have a bad skate at some point and Pang and Tong might land the sbs It would be awesome to see if we are going for flukes to see Durhamel and radford or MT M or K and S win an oly medal.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
I really hope she is okay but I also don't want them landing the 3A at olympics. I am not a big fan of flukey victories because of some freak skate. They had their chance in 2010 and they blew it. However, the odds are V and T will have a bad skate at some point and Pang and Tong might land the sbs It would be awesome to see if we are going for flukes to see Durhamel and radford or MT M or K and S win an oly medal.

S&S would not have the points to beat V&T even if they landed the 3axel cleanly. Not unless V&T aren't clean. All it would do is cut down the margin of error for V&T possibly. That is another reason I don't think it is worth the risk, unless it is more about a personal challenge and pushing the envelope regardless of scores and results, and if it that is the case kudos to them.

You seem anti S&S and paranoid about them winning the OGM but I have no idea why. The way things look now, S&S aren't even close to challenging V&T and I say that as a neutral who couldn't care less one way or the other about either team.

Also even as a huge P&T fan, P&T are almost as far from challenging S&S for silver as S&S are challenging V&T for gold (not quite as far, but almost). S&S even with major errors will outscore P&T unless they are totally clean, and they rarely are that. Even S&S's weak elements like the triple twist score higher than P&T now, the judges just like them more. I am hoping for the bronze for P&T and if they win that I will be ecastic. Anymore is just a huge bonus. Although if S&S keep trying the 3axel throw the hopes for P&T to sneak out the silver in an upset ala 2010 go way up. I am almost certain S&S will miss the 3axel when they try it, and it can possibly affect the rest of the performance too, and P&T are good at pulling clean programs out of nowhere when they want to. They are big event skaters (who were robbed of the 2006 silver and 2010 gold at the Olympics).

tulosai

Record Breaker
:laugh: Typical.

S/K certainly have potential but to think they would podium here was a bit crazy.

Not as crazy as B/L almost matching their personal best after doubling a jump, though. (Their PB is 70.14, and here they got 69.72). I think there needs to be a separate thread showing how each Russian skater/team ended up getting PCS handouts.

Agreed on both things.

tulosai

Record Breaker
Well I think they are "that good". They are one of the few pairs that actually skates as a pair and artistically they are trying to do more than anyone else, except for maybe Pang/Tong. Hopefully the technical elements will come.

Yeah, I mean clearly this is a your mileage may vary thing, but I have 'gotten' them artistically. I do agree they are artistically AMBITIOUS, but I do not think they have ever actually succeeded in communicating what they are trying to convey in their programs. In fact, I have never seen them come close. I find their programs to be kind of frustrating and boring for that reason. I also do not think they skate 'as a pair' any better than any of the other mid-level teams.

I certainly wish them no ill though and do hope they will continue to develop as a team. Perhaps in a few years I will be a fan- they are still relatively new to the scene and a lot can happen for them.

wordsworthgirl

Medalist
I just watched and was absolutely mesmerized by S & S. What a beautiful, romantic, lyrical program. and they are so sweet with each other. Are they a real-life couple?

However, I was saddened to see her sobbing in the Kiss and Cry. Does anyone have any thoughts on why? I hope she is not injured!

Eddie Lee

On the Ice
Is it just me or has Knierim gotten sloppy? It seems to me that he used to finish moves more completely, and now everything just sort of trails off. It's disappointing, because of all the US pairs, I thought they had the most polish. But that seems significantly reduced this year. Maybe it's a by-product of his injury?

They have been my favorite of the Americans. When they skated onto the ice for the SP, their posture was a negative. Their shoulders were slumped as if they were exhausted. There was no improvement as they continued. Too bad, because they are a talented and very attractive pair.

Mao88

Record Breaker
PAIRS SHORT PROGRAM - VIDEOS (By Starting Order) - Updated

Warm-Up Group 1

1. Narumi TAKAHASHI / Ryuichi KIHARA (JPN) Short Program, 2nd Copy
2. Lindsay DAVIS / Rockne BRUBAKER (USA) Short Program
3. Julia ANTIPOVA / Nodari MAISURADZE (RUS) Short Program
4. Alexa SCIMECA / Chris KNIERIM (USA) Short Program

Warm-Up Group 2

5. Ksenia STOLBOVA / Fedor KLIMOV (RUS) Short Program
6. Kirsten MOORE-TOWERS / Dylan MOSCOVITCH (CAN) Short Program
7. Vera BAZAROVA / Yuri LARIONOV (RUS) Short Program, 2nd Copy