Ice Dance SD - 2013 Rostelecom Cup | Page 12 | Golden Skate

Ice Dance SD - 2013 Rostelecom Cup

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Everyone expected W/P to score above 71... look at their reactions in the K&C, listen to the Euro commentators shocked reactions at the low score...

lol 71 on Canadian soil with inflated marks
and they expect here what a 73+ ? then they would close in to V/M's, Canada's hope for Olympics silver

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Everyone expected W/P to score above 71... look at their reactions in the K&C, listen to the Euro commentators shocked reactions at the low score...

I didn't. When I saw who was on the Tech team and on the judging panel, I knew W/P were doomed no matter how well they skated. If the FD levels go the way the SD levels did, they will finish behind a very high-scoring B/S.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I should amend that to say everyone expected them to score more than 61 (not 71). Certainly expected them to clear 70, or come close to that.

I love how when it's Canadian soil it's inflated marks, but when it's Julia blatantly overmarked on Russian soil you think it's fair (and actually think she's underscored and deserves a score of 75+ with 35+ PCS :laugh:).

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Well, they certainly didn't deserve a 61.

I love how when it's Canadian soil it's inflated marks, but when it's Julia blatantly overmarked on Russian soil you think it's fair (and actually think she's underscored and deserves a score of 75+ with 35+ PCS :laugh:).

need I have to remind about Osmond , D/R and Chan marks always ???
yes they W/P were underscored here but certainly no team here deserve above a 70 SD

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Also, people are giving I/K way too much credit. Certainly better than B/S, and about on par with W/P (who I think are more expressive and have nicer edges).

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Don't forget Bazarova and Larionov. Talk about overscoring. That Chaplin program of theirs is awful---they both have the general demeanor of department store dummies, yet they got PCS scores in the 8s! 8.14 for interpretation??!!? They were just 2 points behind the Germans in PCS!

B/L are the most unexpressive pairs skaters since Totmianina and Marinin, but at least T/M were technically consistently perfect, where B/L are consistent screwups.

TCAngel18

Medalist
Ok, so I am late to the scene, and just watched both W/P and B/S short dances. I cannot believe the blatant overscoring on behalf of the Russians. Before I start my rant, I will concede that the Russians DID capture the spirit of the Finnstep better than the Canadians, solely due to due to Poje vs. Soloviev. When both teams come to full stop, Poje is not as bouncy on his feet than Soloviev(id his first name Dmitri, I forget, so that's why I am using last names). They are equal in the straightline parts of the sequence, not as good as D/W or V/M, but still both top six quality. Other than that, I cannot give the Russians the lead due to the horrible, novice-level posture of Bobrova. Her shoulders are never even, one is always dropping, and I swear I was waiting for her to do back crossovers across the rink and pump her back a la Yulia Lavrenchuk. This even affected the twizzle sequence, as she almost took out her partner on the direction change. I think the proper scores would be W/P 67.5 ish, B/S 63 ish. I am not as versed in COP scoring for Ice Dance, but I do consider myself pretty good in overall impression scoring, as I was able to get every score from TEB within a point, even not paying attention to the man behind the curtain, ie the TES box. I really hope this overscoring is not an attempt to cement B/S as Russian #1's, and thus the favorites for Sochi bronze. I think it should be between C/L or W/ P, but if a Russian team wins bronze in Sochi, I hope it is I/K with their high drama. They were not that good at COC, or was it NHK, but they fixed most of their shortcomings with an excellent, dramatic freedance at TEB.

HR4

On the Ice
This is why Russia should never get an Olympics. This is as bad as during the cold war when they openly would cheat.

Come on. Whatever they do in Sochi it cannot be worse than favoring Evan over Evgeniy in Vancoover, keeping silence about the mess in Salt-Lake City with Huges taking the ogm. I agree the dance event is obviusly russian overscoring, not- rather underscoring of non-russian teams. With the buzz about overscoring of Julia or Maxim- i see nothing awful there, both of them clearly should be leaders.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
My TV commentator said, W/P did some mistakes in there program. She wasn't surprised because of their marks.

Matt K

On the Ice
My TV commentator said, W/P did some mistakes in there program. She wasn't surprised because of their marks.

I agree.
B/S had the power and speed over W/P in the SD and should have won the SD hands down. By the margin that it did I don't know, need to look at the protocols.
W/P were elegant and nice but cautious to me. I liked them better at Skate Canada.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
There were some mistakes - perhaps just not that many mistakes. The best way to legally advantage one team over another is to judge one team strictly, and turn a blind eye to the mistakes of the other team. If there is a basis to the calls, then the disadvantaged team cannot be helped by the appeal feature. There is no mechanism for overturning a blatant positive call in skating.

To pick a noncontroversial example, when Amodio used lyrics, and was not penalized for using lyrics, other skaters could not appeal that decision.