What is the Corniest Thing in Movies/TV That Still Gets You? | Golden Skate

What is the Corniest Thing in Movies/TV That Still Gets You?

What's the Corniest ThingWhat is the Corniest Thing in Movies/TV That Still Gets You?

Okay, we're all saps about something in entertainment so let's 'fess up. Here's my list of corny things that still get me every time.

1. Gordon Macrae riding his horse and singing "Oh, What a Beautiful Morning!" at the beginning of the film version of "Oklahoma!" Normally something like this would make me gag, but there is something both simple and magnificent about Macrae's voice, along with his "aw shucks" persona that literally makes me weep.

2. The whole cast singing "Oklahoma!" in the wedding scene in the movie version of same. Something about the harmonies, the quality of the voices, the song itself, and this particular arrangement that just knocks me out.

3. About 15 years ago, PBS filmed a special of the late Leonard Bernstein conducting a new cast recording of "West Side Story." José Carreras is singing "Maria" and he just can't get it right. He storms out of the session, clearly angry and frustrated with himself. He returns the next day and just nails it. Carreras hits and holds one note in "Maria" in such a way that I bust out crying every time I see and hear this.

4. Elderly people square dancing.

5. Everything about the movies "Splash" and "Big." They're not really corny, but they have some sentimental moments, but I don't care. I buy it.

6. Once when I was about 30 my father and I were having lunch and we started talking about two particular and much beloved dogs we had from the time I was about 12 until one died when I was 21 and the other when I was about 25--Chauncey and Boo Boo. We were laughing about the things they did--like stealing Christmas cookies and hiding them in their doggie beds--and next thing you know we were bawling our heads off. We had several other dogs and constantly had cats--the latter of which were always playing tricks on the dogs in classic Looney Tunes fashion--but Chauncy and Boo Boo, they get me going ever time.

There are others, but those are the only ones I'm willing to reveal:laugh: Okay, now somebody else cough up theirs.
Rgirl

GoldenLady

On the Ice
Hey, another "Splash" and "Big" fan!! I *love* those two movies.... I think Tom Hanks is my all-time favourite actor, and I love his newer movies, but those oldies-but-goodies get me every time, too. :)

I have do some thinking before I can post more examples here.... Great topic, though!

heyang

Record Breaker
I always cry at the end of Ghost. As soon as the light comes to take Sam away, I feel the tears well. They're flowing by the time Sam says 'I Love You' and she says 'Ditto'.

I'm sure there's more, but that's the 1st that comes to mind.

SusanBeth

Final Flight
Somewhere in Time - (Christopher Reeve, Jane Seymour) The scene in which the old lady gives ''Richard'' the watch and says ''Come back to me'' is when I start with the sniffles. I will never be able to hear the Rhapsody without feeling like my heart is being torn out (but in a good way lol) It must run in the family. Both my daughters call it their favorite ''kleenex-fest.''

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
I've watched "The Color Purple" a gazillion times, and everytime Whoopie finds the hidden letters from her sister, I head for the box of tissues..........love, love that movie.............42

GoldenLady

On the Ice
E.T. really gets to me, both when he "dies" (it doesn't matter how many times I've seen that movie, or that I know he isn't really dead - I *always* cry during that scene), and at the end where he finally goes home. :(