Who will be 3rd among the ladies in Sochi? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Who will be 3rd among the ladies in Sochi?

Icey

Record Breaker
I would really like to know what headcasing is. Does it mean putting out a subpar performance when you are known for consistency? Putting out consistently poor performances? Putting out great performances and then messing up on an easy element?

None of the skaters in question meets the definition of "head case" and it is unfortunate they continue to be labelled as such: a mentally unstable person who acts irrationally or foolishly; an eccentric person

Robeye

Final Flight
None of the skaters in question meets the definition of "head case" and it is unfortunate they continue to be labelled as such: a mentally unstable person who acts irrationally or foolishly; an eccentric person
Ahh, I would say that it is not quite that bad in the context of sports.

Although Oda Zayaking more than once in a fairly short span would probably fit the "irrational or foolish" criterion. :p

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
I think it will be a battle for third between Caro and Ashley. If they both skate well
I believe they are capable to challenge for the third spot on the podium. IMO they have
the experience and talent over the other contenders.

Of course this is just my opinion cuz anything is possible at the Olympics.

As for the Gold Medal it will be either Yuna or Mao.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Unless Julia falls three times she probably has at least the bronze. Actually given that she usually skates cleanly, and given the obvious Russianatic scoring we can now expect in Sochi, she probably has a great shot at the gold. Yu Na Kim will have to skate perfectly to deny her.

I don't think people have said Julia is a lock for anything.

:rolleye: :rolleye:

Anyway, assuming Yu-Na and Mao take the Gold and Silver, then I would rank the chances of Bronze among the Ladies as:

1. Lipnitskaya
2. Kostner
3. Wagner
4. Sotnikova
5. Gracie Gold
6. Suzuki

I don't think anyone else has a chance. The judges clearly won't give Murakami the scores she deserves. *sigh*

-In my experience, in order for someone to be justifiably described as a head case, the athlete must exhibit a chronic pattern of underperformance, that cannot be explained in more mundane ways (e.g. injury, or bereavement, physical change or depletion or exhaustion, etc.), and displayed over a body of performances sufficient in extent to statistically rule out the not-insignificant level of serendipity inherent in competitive figure skating.

I think they just get nervous. :)

elif

Medalist
Kostner needs to do either work with spins or change her combination in the SP. She is losing TES. Sotnikova needs a better combination than 3lutz+3loop. She underrotates a lot and not going to get any positive GOE because of ''e''. Wagner needs to do rotate her 3F+3T. Also can add more GOE for spins like Kostner. Suzuki only have 3T+3T so she can do 3F at the second half of the program for bonus maybe. If Kim,Asada, Lipnitskaia and Gold skate a clean SP one of those ladies won't be at the last group. This is a huge disadvantage. Julia and Gracie easliy can get 38+ TES If they don't make mistakes.

Sara

On the Ice
I agree with you. Bronze will probably go either to Caro or Ashley. If Yuna is back in shape she will win the gold medal. Mao silver.

Pressure will be too much for the Russian girls. Especially Adelina would not be able to handle it, but after seeing Julia in CoR, things don't look good for her either. They are both really young and to skate in the Olympics in front of your home crowd won't be easy.

I think it will be a battle for third between Caro and Ashley. If they both skate well
I believe they are capable to challenge for the third spot on the podium. IMO they have
the experience and talent over the other contenders.

Of course this is just my opinion cuz anything is possible at the Olympics.

As for the Gold Medal it will be either Yuna or Mao.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
I was a bit stunned at Julia's free skate at the COR. I know nobody is perfect all the time, but I was starting to think she was impervious to pressure. Obviously not.

Robeye

Final Flight
I think they just get nervous. :)
IMO, that is a true statement, but not comprehensive. ;)

Some athletes, for instance, may suffer from an overflow of confidence that swamps their good judgment, forgetting that discretion is sometimes the better part of valor, and they end up making very bold attempts that were either beyond their capabilities or not necessary.

It's a tricky balance for athletes: too little confidence, and they "choke" under pressure. Too much confidence, and they take manically stupid risks.

There are possibly other mental states that come into play as well. For example, the ability to be clinical, to "step back" from emotions such as overweening desire, like the best surgeons do, may be an advantage in performance under pressure; on the other hand, too much detachment may rob you of the psychic motivation needed to attain peak performance.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that the elements in the interior life of athletes that contribute to performance are probably more diverse and nuanced than you suggest.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I was a bit stunned at Julia's free skate at the COR. I know nobody is perfect all the time, but I was starting to think she was impervious to pressure. Obviously not.

I'm not sure why so many people thought she was impervious to pressure when she did have some bad skates, notably at Junior Worlds and Russian Junior Nationals. However, I did not anticipate her bombing this badly.

Matilda

Medalist
I think the third spot is a huge question mark at this point. Mirai did well this weekend, but can she keep it up? I hope she does. Agnes has six weeks to work with Tom Z--we'll see if that helps her get in the right head space--she has the goods if she can keep her nerves in check. Not sure of Christiona ta this point. If Sammi gets that 3Lo-3Lo down and more speed, she'll be a challenger. It's going to be exciting--and heartbreaking. Not as heartbreaking as the men's however.

Country
Russia
I think the third spot is a huge question mark at this point. Mirai did well this weekend, but can she keep it up?
Mirai for two previous seasons had bad 1st GP Event (5 and 4 places), good 2nd (2 and 3 places), and after that 7th place at Nats.
Now she has places 8 and 3 at GP events.

Let us wait Nats to see - is she restored or situation of previous seasons will be repeated.