Ice Dance FD - 2013 Rostelecom Cup | Page 8 | Golden Skate

Ice Dance FD - 2013 Rostelecom Cup

blackswanphoto

On the Ice
Hmm.. after watching all the dances.. I have to say that Ekaterina BOBROVA / Dmitri SOLOVIEV freedance was not as bad as I thought it would be. As for the GPF, now that I am thinking about it, I actually think Weaver/Poje will finish last or fifth. I think they will be in last place after the short dance. I would say the short dance is probably their big weakness. That finnstep just looks like lead is in their feet compared to the other top teams in the final. I think they will possibly gain or move up with their freedance but it would depend how big of a hole they are in after the short.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
B/S are required to go to GPF unless they are injured. I supposed the RusFed can make some "injury excuse" but I don't see them doing that.

Fake an injury for B/S to redo their programs and I/K avn replace them in GPF ?
I dont want to see that FD again

Matt K

On the Ice
Are 95% of the posts in this 10 page thread from D/W ubers? :p Must remember to read with a grain of salt.

I didn't enjoy Weaver/Poje's FD as much here than at their first GP outing. Some of the magic and intensity rubbed off. Especially in the SD where they skated cautiously. Nice lines, nice edges, nice skating and that's it. Kaitlyn Weaver's posture isn't that great all the time either. Her carriage in her upper body is weak and her expression suffers as a result.

Bobrova/Soloviev - FD is a huge step back from last year. Last year they produced something with an interesting theme that highlighted ballet and modern dance movements which had a great reception from both Russian and Western (North American) audiences. I don't think they need to scrap this FD, it actually works really well for them (only a Russian couple can skate to a program and music like this :p), even though not as good as last year's FD. They looked faster and besides the sloppy fall from her, their skating was way better than CoC. Good edgework and she actually holds her free leg positions better than Meryl.
I close my eyes when I see her terrible posture bending over to hit those open choctaws though, ouch ouch ouch :laugh:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I have a tiny hope that RusFed will kindly ask B/S not to go to Japan, and then the slot goes to I/K. I think BS should even do it strategically- and change the FD a LOT, rather than having 6s place in 2 weeks. IK's programs are much better. W/P FD is great - my top 3 FD this year.

There is no way the Russian fed would orchestrate a B/S win and then push I/K. Even though the consensus is that I/K are stronger, it's painfully obvious that B/S are the ones being pushed.

Kovtun/Lip/B&S being chosen for CoR was not a mistake. Plushenko too. They quite probably planned this blatant propping up ages before. Funny how CoR included all the skaters who could potentially be medal threats with a bit of helpful judging and holding back other competitors. If not for Machida's technically superior skate, Kovtun would have made this orchestration a 3 for 3.

flaneur

On the Ice
Just caught up on the rest of the ice dance competition.

According to Carol Lane, Paul Poirier was the one who invented that awesome rotational lift in G/P fd.

I've decided I really dislike C/B fd. It doesn't suit them at all. Madison acts way too fierce to portray Cossette (she would be a better Eponine but the way she is dressed suggests that she is Cossette). The program is really generic and because they don't act the roles it just feels false... as if they are going through the motions and not dancing. Even the B/S program which is kind of crazy, works in a manner because at least B/S are committed to portraying the birds. Also all the vocals in the music doesn't work... there are too many voices going on.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
I think the demise he is referring to is when a team is held down in the SD and then wins the FD by 2 points over a team that fell (and the team that fell received a PB). And he was also possibly referring to Julia getting her best PCS (by 2.5 points) for a 3-triple performance with a fall.

Buttle is a hypocrite :rolleye:
like the sham scores for Osmond, D/R and Chan in Canadian soil ?
why doesn't he mention that

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
There is no way the Russian fed would orchestrate a B/S win and then push I/K. Even though the consensus is that I/K are stronger, it's painfully obvious that B/S are the ones being pushed.

Kovtun/Lip/B&S being chosen for CoR was not a mistake. Plushenko too. They quite probably planned this blatant propping up ages before. Funny how CoR included all the skaters who could potentially be medal threats with a bit of helpful judging and holding back other competitors. If not for Machida's technically superior skate, Kovtun would have made this orchestration a 3 for 3.

wince when ? this is Kovtun first senior GP season
and Julia had a not so good performance last season with their injuries, she just started bouncing back this season
their main objective was to see the form of the duel of Julia and Tuk, V/T personally declined to skate in CoR because they wanted to compete in NHK

Shayuki

Record Breaker
Apparently the single skating judge guidebooks have 18 pages, the pairs have 28 pages and the ice dance one has 101 pages o_O rough.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Well I finally got a chance to see the B/S FD.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It may be one of THE greatest camp FDs I've ever seen, from the ridiculous 80s ombre costuming to the overwrought Uber! Euro!! Trauma!!! DRAMA!!!! to the final "anguished" "scream" by Mr S. But I know just how he feels--if I had to dance schlock like that, in public, I'd be anguished too.

As an audience member though I was awash in wave after wave of near-hysterical laughter, starting with those hilariously stupid head twitches that start us off and running.

Seriously, this is going to enter the Ice Dance Camp Hall Of Fame. What tilts it in that direction are the sound effects, which took something that originally looked misguided in its first outing to High Camp now. It may even give I/K's Ghost program a run for its money there.

Sjs5572

Final Flight

It may be one of THE greatest camp FDs I've ever seen, from the ridiculous 80s ombre costuming to the overwrought Uber! Euro!! Trauma!!! DRAMA!!!! to the final "anguished" "scream" by Mr S. But I know just how he feels--if I had to dance schlock like that, in public, I'd be anguished too.

As an audience member though I was awash in wave after wave of near-hysterical laughter, starting with those hilariously stupid head twitches that start us off and running.

Seriously, this is going to enter the Ice Dance Camp Hall Of Fame. What tilts it in that direction are the sound effects, which took something that originally looked misguided in its first outing to High Camp now. It may even give I/K's Ghost program a run for its money there.

This. I'm surprised the camp in this routine wasn't banned by Putin's gay propaganda law. The scream at the end looks like a Vincent Price horror flick impersonation.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Just caught up on the rest of the ice dance competition.

According to Carol Lane, Paul Poirier was the one who invented that awesome rotational lift in G/P fd.

The rotational lift wasn't particularly awesome, but the stationary lift is fabulous! Are you sure you don't mean the stationary lift (early in the program where Piper is doing a kind of windmill motion?) I love that stationary lift. Just perfect for Hitchcok.

Buttle is a hypocrite :rolleye:
like the sham scores for Osmond, D/R and Chan in Canadian soil ?
why doesn't he mention that

Despite red herrings by several fans, Osmond, D&R, Chan, and for that matter D&W, were not competing at this event. And aren't they all lucky that they weren't :rofl:

It is entirely true that all federations try to produce as positive an outcome for their own skaters in events they run themselves. How can they do that?

1. They can schedule the event at a rink favored by or close to where their top skater/team trains.
2. They can decide whether their top skater would be best favored by strict or not so strict calling, and when they are asked about their preference for officials, ask accordingly (curiously enough, the event Fed is the group who invites the judges and the tech panel.

This is not a guarantee, but there are different levels of strictness among callers.

The Russians are really not much different than any other federation.

Last edited:

gmyers

Record Breaker
Well... it's obvious that the style of Weaver & Poje is very crowd friendly (personally, it's one of my favs this season) but B&S aren't half as bad as in some comments I've heard today. Zhulin might have thought that this idea for the fd could work considering that it was first used by Domnina & Tikhonov in one of those russian tv shows to great sucess. Maybe he really wanted them to keep doing something diferent. The thing is I don't believe the general audience wants to watch or embrace that sort of artistic approach in competition. I still believe that FD has some potential and that B&S will get better as the season progresses.

I think doing something different really should be in line with what the prevailing mood is and which gets good scores and audience reception. B/S lost the fd so even here they couldn't win the fd with their program. It's not contradictory to say be different but in line with the taste of those who matter. Russian different is maybe too different. They absolutely must go with north American different and just be in line with those limits and taste.

katia

On the Ice

For me the high point was the dog's howl. From that point on everything went downhil.:laugh:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Worse is when you compare B/S' interpretation of Vivaldi to Chan's

P.s. Kinda amusingly ironic when people choose "Summer" for the Winter Olympics.

BlackPack

Medalist
53+ PCS. Does dog barking sounds get a few extra points in P/E?
Oh B/S, i was starting to like you last season and then you had to go and do Faust 2.0. Why are they so insistent on making Ekaterina look like an old Russian lady?!

So the B/S FD is about a pair of birds who are being hunted, and one of the birds gets shot (there was a gunshot halfway through the program, I think?) and the Mozart Requiem plays in honor of the dying bird? I realize it's supposed to be a metaphor, but I have to wonder what Zhulin is drinking these days. I really liked B/S's FD last year, but this one........

But seriously will speed and ice coverage get you a PCS score of 53, even with a bad fall, bad posture and recycled, unimaginative choreography? Other teams should take note. I want to see this spectacle again, videos soon?

Complete with the worst hunched back in ice dance history. They should skate to Addams Family as I swear she is the long lost wife of Lurch.

:rofl: @ B/S getting a personal best FD with a fall! Perfect way to cap off a competition of *stellar* judging. :laugh:
BS indeed. :rolleye:

Don't you hate it when you forget to shut the door and the dog comes in while you're doing it? So brave of B/S to share and humanize this topic for all of us.

Well I finally got a chance to see the B/S FD. BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It may be one of THE greatest camp FDs I've ever seen, from the ridiculous 80s ombre costuming to the overwrought Uber! Euro!! Trauma!!! DRAMA!!!! to the final "anguished" "scream" by Mr S. But I know just how he feels--if I had to dance schlock like that, in public, I'd be anguished too. As an audience member though I was awash in wave after wave of near-hysterical laughter, starting with those hilariously stupid head twitches that start us off and running.Seriously, this is going to enter the Ice Dance Camp Hall Of Fame. What tilts it in that direction are the sound effects, which took something that originally looked misguided in its first outing to High Camp now. It may even give I/K's Ghost program a run for its money there.

The fall of Communism was over 20 years ago. I just wonder why some people are stuck in the 80s, especially when Bobrova is the new generation!!!!!!!!!!!!! A campy caricature of Soviet ice dancing, complete with pretensions of intensity and histrionics. I suppose Zhulin is a loving coach who "gave" the Four Seasons (his and Maya's signature piece) to this top pupils, but they failed artistically. The Brit Euro commentators did go on about their speed and power, but it was manically done and achieved through a less complex choreography. This reminds me of the situation of G&P where their speed trumped their lack of creativity and refinement, and B&S is benefiting from the same situation.

Zhulin did say B/S can go for a silver.... :slink:

An injustice to all canines!!!!! Bobrova needs to properly apply smokey eyes makeup. The entire package is an embarrassment.

And of course the fall and the inflated scores are only going to vilify an already unpopular pair.

:bang:

I thought that it was perhaps possible that judges were going to give B&S a sweetener victory only to crucify them in the GPF, Russian Nationals (where I&K would be unveiled as the new Russian No1), and Olympics.

BlackPack

Medalist
Weren't Gilles & Poirier brilliant? Their Hitchcock program is introducing them as real creative ice dancers in the coming post-DW/VM era. There was a story full of unusual movements. Their inexperience shows towards the last half of the program and it fizzled out, but they are such an exciting couple. Hope to see them medal in 2018/22!

katia

On the Ice
Weren't Gilles & Poirier brilliant? Their Hitchcock program is introducing them as real creative ice dancers in the coming post-DW/VM era. There was a story full of unusual movements. Their inexperience shows towards the last half of the program and it fizzled out, but they are such an exciting couple. Hope to see them medal in 2018/22!
:clap::clap::clap:
Agree. Their program was masterpiece.. Last year I did not like them and this year I was prepared to hate them but when I saw this program and the improvement in skating.............from now on I am their fan.

Btw what about Piper Gilles Canadian citizenship? Could she get it in time for Winter Olimpics?

ucrgirl

On the Ice
:clap::clap::clap:
Agree. Their program was masterpiece.. Last year I did not like them and this year I was prepared to hate them but when I saw this program and the improvement in skating.............from now on I am their fan.

Btw what about Piper Gilles Canadian citizenship? Could she get it in time for Winter Olimpics?

Hope so (although it seems doubtful :disapp:) It is a masterpeice.

96skiluvr

On the Ice

When the poster said G/P in the same context as Zhulin, I believe he/she was talking about Grishuk/Platov, not Gilles/Poirier