Ice Dance FD - 2013 Rostelecom Cup | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Ice Dance FD - 2013 Rostelecom Cup

bramweld

Record Breaker
People we knew this was going to happen , so we might as well deal. My hope is that all ice dance pairs that are not B/S, understand the ants nest they're heading into in Sochi. So they either go there to literally put the judges on notice or they had better not show up!! We are talking about Russia here...they ain't taking no prisoners and they don't care how it looks:popcorn: Since Russia has shown us their cards they all need to wise up!!

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Zhulin might have thought that this idea for the fd could work considering that it was first used by Domnina & Tikhonov in one of those russian tv shows to great sucess.

Sure....so it should work really great before a panel of mostly Russian judges like the one we had at CoR. Is the judging and/or tech panels at Sochi ALSO going to be loaded with folks from AZE, UZB, BLR, UKR, EST, etc? None of those countries have teams in the top 5, do they? Zhulin may know something the rest of us don't.

Marta25

Medalist
Sure....so it should work really great before a panel of mostly Russian judges like the one we had at CoR. Is the judging and/or tech panels at Sochi ALSO going to be loaded with folks from AZE, UZB, BLR, UKR, EST, etc? None of those countries have teams in the top 5, do they? Zhulin may know something the rest of us don't.

The judges for the Olympics were drawn during Nebelhorn Trophy.
These are the judges for Ice Dance: United States, Canada, Russia, Italy, France, Germany, Great Britain, Ukraine, Lithuania, Azerbaijan, China, Australia, Japan

So, we have 4 from Eastern Europe,but the Russian judge can't be on the Technical Panel,since B/S won the bronze medal at last WCH. This leaves judges from Ukraine, Lithuania and Azerbaijan,who can be a part of the technical panel.

TCAngel18

Medalist
My comments last night from the short dance can be repeated for this free dance! I cannot believe how overscored B/S are. Isn't this an international panel? W/P deserve their scores, the dance was riveting, passionate and performed well. B/S still have posture issues, they are too wild, their leg line doesn't match, and other inconsistencies. Bobrova reminds me of Elene Gedevanishvili. You want to think of her as graceful, good lines, etc, then you watch her and realize you can't think that, she needs too much refinement of posture, leg line, and less swinging arms. Cannot wait until their 6th place GPF finish.

Rachmaninoff

Final Flight
I think the demise he is referring to is when a team is held down in the SD and then wins the FD by 2 points over a team that fell (and the team that fell received a PB). And he was also possibly referring to Julia getting her best PCS (by 2.5 points) for a 3-triple performance with a fall.

Well, I still wouldn't call that "demise of the entire sport." It's sure not going to build interest or respect for it, but there have been issues with judging quite a few times over the years and the sport has survived.

Well... it's obvious that the style of Weaver & Poje is very crowd friendly (personally, it's one of my favs this season) but B&S aren't half as bad as in some comments I've heard today. Zhulin might have thought that this idea for the fd could work considering that it was first used by Domnina & Tikhonov in one of those russian tv shows to great sucess. Maybe he really wanted them to keep doing something diferent. The thing is I don't believe the general audience wants to watch or embrace that sort of artistic approach in competition. I still believe that FD has some potential and that B&S will get better as the season progresses.

Maybe the program will improve, sure. That can always happen. But as for the bolded...please. I appreciate quite a wide variety of styles, when they are done well. A dramatic, unusual program done to classical music can be wonderful. But the one from B&S today was far from it. They looked messy and all over the place and their "interpretation" seemed phony and forced. W&P, in contrast, looked clean and smooth, and hit a lot of the nuances of the music beautifully. I think this was better than their SC performance, which I believe scored 104-something. Giving B&S the highest PCS marks of the day was ludicrous. That is why B&S and the results are being criticized, not because people don't appreciate an "artistic approach."

Macassar88

Medalist
Weaver and Poje should have won this competition. I think that B/S should have been ahead by maybe 3-4 points after the SD (I think that B/S's SD is generally around 1-2 points better than W/P but then W/P's lift got downgraded) but that Weaver and Poje should have won the FD by 6-7 points. I think that 101-103 is around right for W/P's FD, but I think that B/S's FD should have been around a 95 today.

bramweld

Record Breaker
In response to mikiandorocks, the fd that most have been talking about, that is quite dramatic and unusual is that of g/p. So go for broke on different but you have to possess the skating, dancing and acting chops to pull it off. b/s are either not at that point yet in their development or this is just a poor vehicle for them. Only time will tell. Let's see @ GPF.

I remember some years ago during an olympic season punsalon and swallow had a dud of a f/d in their own opinion and they worked extra hard to bring this tango to the olympic games. So if b/s wanted to they could also do the same.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gpg5eTbos_M

Macassar88

Medalist
In response to mikiandorocks, the fd that most have been talking about, that is quite dramatic and unusual is that of g/p. So go for broke on different but you have to possess the skating, dancing and acting chops to pull it off. b/s are either not at that point yet in their development or this is just a poor vehicle for them. Only time will tell. Let's see @ GPF.

I think that B/S are great skaters, but they need a better vehicle. Last year's SD and FD were examples of their potential. I just wish that Zhulin had been more creative with their FD this year and thought of something himself rather than recycle an Ice Age theme.

Mao88

Record Breaker
FREE DANCE - VIDEOS (By Starting Order) - Updated

Warm-Up Group 1

1. Gabriella PAPADAKIS / Guillaume CIZERON (FRA) Free Dance
2. Siobhan HEEKIN-CANEDY / Dmitri DUN (UKR) Free Dance
3. Piper GILLES / Paul POIRIER (CAN) Free Dance
4. Ksenia MONKO / Kirill KHALIAVIN (RUS) Free Dance

Warm-Up Group 2

5. Madison CHOCK / Evan BATES (USA) Free Dance
6. Ekaterina RIAZANOVA / Ilia TKACHENKO (RUS) Free Dance
7. Kaitlyn WEAVER / Andrew POJE (CAN) Free Dance
8. Ekaterina BOBROVA / Dmitri SOLOVIEV (RUS) Free Dance

RESULT

Overall Result, Segment Result, Protocols

flaneur

On the Ice
I actually really liked B/S last year... their fd worked and they were clearly ahead of I/K. However, this year's fd is rough and they are looking sloppy. Lots of work to be done before the GPF and their Nationals.

Never been a big W/P fan but they are constantly pushing themselves and improving. It's nice to see that they have found their skating identity/voice... there is a depth to their skating that wasn't there before. With them and G/P, and P/I, ice dance is the one skating discipline that Canada doesn't have to be too worried about when their top dog (V/M) retires.

Will refrain from judging comments but I do hope this isn't a preview of Sochi...

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The judges for the Olympics were drawn during Nebelhorn Trophy.
These are the judges for Ice Dance: United States, Canada, Russia, Italy, France, Germany, Great Britain, Ukraine, Lithuania, Azerbaijan, China, Australia, Japan

So, we have 4 from Eastern Europe,but the Russian judge can't be on the Technical Panel,since B/S won the bronze medal at last WCH. This leaves judges from Ukraine, Lithuania and Azerbaijan,who can be a part of the technical panel.

LTU would be fine as that judge is not in lockstep with anyone. Fortunately, AZE has no ISU TS or TC for ice dance. UKR has one Ice Dance ISU TC, Ludmila Mikhalovskaya, and two Ice Dance ISU TS: Sergei Baranov and Mariya Tumanovskaya. So there can be at most one UKR on a tech panel.

Mao88

Record Breaker
FREE DANCE - VIDEOS (By Starting Order) - Updated

Warm-Up Group 1

1. Gabriella PAPADAKIS / Guillaume CIZERON (FRA) Free Dance
2. Siobhan HEEKIN-CANEDY / Dmitri DUN (UKR) Free Dance
3. Piper GILLES / Paul POIRIER (CAN) Free Dance
4. Ksenia MONKO / Kirill KHALIAVIN (RUS) Free Dance

Warm-Up Group 2

5. Madison CHOCK / Evan BATES (USA) Free Dance
6. Ekaterina RIAZANOVA / Ilia TKACHENKO (RUS) Free Dance
7. Kaitlyn WEAVER / Andrew POJE (CAN) Free Dance, 2nd Copy
8. Ekaterina BOBROVA / Dmitri SOLOVIEV (RUS) Free Dance, 2nd Copy

RESULT

Overall Result, Segment Result, Protocols

meem

On the Ice
I just watched B/S free dance - flailing arms, open mouths throughout the program (need a bit of conditioning?), a fall. I don't get it.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
I've never seen pooping on ice done so well. B/S definitely deserved Gold for their interpretation of this difficult subject matter.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Don't you hate it when you forget to shut the door and the dog comes in while you're doing it? So brave of B/S to share and humanize this topic for all of us.

HR4

On the Ice
I have a tiny hope that RusFed will kindly ask B/S not to go to Japan, and then the slot goes to I/K. I think BS should even do it strategically- and change the FD a LOT, rather than having 6s place in 2 weeks. IK's programs are much better. W/P FD is great - my top 3 FD this year.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I have a tiny hope that RusFed will kindly ask B/S not to go to Japan, and then the slot goes to I/K. I think BS should even do it strategically- and change the FD a LOT, rather than having 6s place in 2 weeks. IK's programs are much better. W/P FD is great - my top 3 FD this year.

B/S are required to go to GPF unless they are injured. I supposed the RusFed can make some "injury excuse" but I don't see them doing that.

colleen o'neill

Medalist
I've always hated sound effects in skating ... barking dogs, gunshots, someone slurping water and going a-a-ah.. ( remember that one ?)

Makes me think of Spike Jones and the City Slickers ( up to date on your music nostalgia ?) ;)

But really , if you can't tell the story without it , don't bother.. I was so happy that ice dance was moving away from all that schlock (and pardon me, it's not what makes art ) and breakneck speed , at the expense of neatness.

I don't object to skaters portraying birds..look at Suzuki's beautiful FP last year ( now that was art ), or any number of firebirds.. but the HIGH DRAMA ( that's drayma ), death ( scusi again, but death isn't automatically art, either ) and acting out sound effects comes across as juvenile to me .