State of the U.S. Men: Post-GP season | Page 4 | Golden Skate

State of the U.S. Men: Post-GP season

LRK

Record Breaker
Alas and alack - it is indeed geoblocked! But thanks, anyway, golden, for thinking of us who couldn't see the other video! Maybe soon something will appear - maybe someone will copy it or something... Hope springs eternal. :)

Yes, I really like that article - I tend to go back to it and read it again. It really is very clear, and they put it so well - that someone non-knowledgeable like myself still can understand and get the "feel" of it. (Also, Ross gave shout-outs to Plushy and Brian - that will never be wrong in my book. ;) I must confess it warmed my fannish heart. :) )

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Inside Edge: US Olympic Figure Skating
FOX Sports
Published on Dec 24, 2013
Julie Stewart-Binks chats with Michelle Kwan and Peter Schragerabout the US Olympic figure skating hopefuls.
http://youtu.be/lDVYRjTC5e4 (4:06 in length)​

The part of the chat about U.S. men centers on Jeremy Abbott (whom Kwan discusses) and Max Aaron (about whom Schrager speaks very highly).

(Cross-posting this link from the Max fan thread. Sorry if I missed this vid in another thread in The Edge.)

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
The problem is the U.S. Men have been so inconsistent they haven't really been able enough to shine. Jeremy Abbott should really have been No. 1 the moment Evan left and he only achieved that once this quad and have actually been left off the team the other two years. Ross Miner is the only one among the U.S. men that have ranked in the Top 3 at all three nationals this quad, but his dismal performance at Worlds didn't really help his case nor does his poor performance at Skate Canada. Richard Dornbush looked promising with a top 10 finish at Worlds in 2011 but haven't made a Worlds team since. Adam Rippon also did not fare well in his sole Worlds appearance in 2012 (though he looks good now).

Max looked great at the end of the season but followed that with a subpar grand prix season. Jason made a positive impression at GP, but he's hasn't been around long enough to gain Evan-level reputation. Joshua was OK at Skate Canada, but unfortunately we just haven't seen as much of him as the others.

And obviously the fact that we weren't able to regain the 3 spots lost in 2011 also doesn't make the current men look too great.

Point is none of the U.S. men this quad have turned in a consistent track record that would draw attention away from Evan, despite the fact that Evan has not competed in several years.

Evan is lucky he didnt compete this quad, as he wouldnt have enjoyed anywhere near the success he did in 2009-2010. He would be competing against Chan who is atleast 6 falls above everyone else in the judges eyes, and after the judges personal Superman from another galaxy who can never be beaten a bunch of other guys (Takahashi, Fernandez, Ten, Hanyu, Kozuka) who can do numerous quads, but combine it with huge GOE on jumps (which Evan never got), very good spins, and very high PCS, so a quadless skater with just ok artistry would look completely redundant today. I cant see him having medalled at any of the Worlds this quad, except maybe a bronze at last years if he skated at his Vancouver or Los Angeles level.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Evan is lucky he didnt compete this quad, as he wouldnt have enjoyed anywhere near the success he did in 2009-2010. He would be competing against Chan who is atleast 6 falls above everyone else in the judges eyes, and after the judges personal Superman from another galaxy who can never be beaten a bunch of other guys (Takahashi, Fernandez, Ten, Hanyu, Kozuka) who can do numerous quads, but combine it with huge GOE on jumps (which Evan never got), very good spins, and very high PCS, so a quadless skater with just ok artistry would look completely redundant today. I cant see him having medalled at any of the Worlds this quad, except maybe a bronze at last years if he skated at his Vancouver or Los Angeles level.

That is true, but my point is more in response to why Evan still got so much attention relative to the other U.S. men.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
That is true, but my point is more in response to why Evan still got so much attention relative to the other U.S. men.

All the media and the public know is that Lysacek is the Olympic Champion and there has been no other American skating star since Lysacek. An Olympic Silver in Ice Dance does not seem to interest the American public.

eta. I forgot, many Americans think Johnny Weir is the Olympic Champion as he is the only Men skater they know even if it is not because of his skating. But the media knows he is not competing any more.