Music that should be skated to | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Music that should be skated to

Gigi13

On the Ice
Hi I'm new here and I would love someone to skate to Lovers-Mei and Jin or Flower Garden from the movie House of Flying Daggers and Yumeji's theme from the movie In The Mood For Love all of these songs are composed by Shigeru Umebayashi, To Kill A Mocking Bird theme by Elmer Bernstein, and Adagio for Strings by Samuel Barber. I would also love to hear some pieces from Joe Hisaishi and Ryuichi Sakamoto. :)

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Welcome to Golden Skate, Gigi!

Peng & Zhang are skating to House of Flying Daggers this year! I don't know which songs from the movie they used, though. Some skaters have used Joe Hisaishi's music, including Howell's Moving Castle.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I would like to see Davis & White do an exhibition to She by Elvis Costello.

yuki

Final Flight
Doris, Peng & Zhang are actually using music from Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon for their SP; this is the song they are skating to: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApWFXugUKG4

Gigi13, Mirai had a terrific SP in the 2009-2010 season that used a piece by Joe Hisaishi (Fragile Dreams). Kozuka has also skated to music by Hisaishi: his 2011-2012 LP was to the Nausicaa soundtrack. Chen Lu also had a LP to Nausicaa back in 1994.
As for Ryuichi Sakamoto, Satoko Miyahara uses his music for her SP this season (the soundtrack to Merry Christmas, Mr. Lawrence). Chen Lu's marvelous 1995 LP was skated to music from the soundtrack of The Last Emperor, to which Sakamoto contributed.

As an aside note, here is some useless trivia: even though it was made famous by In the Mood For Love, the song Yumeji's Theme is originally from another movie named (you guessed it!) Yumeji, about a Japanese poet and painter.

yuki

Final Flight
Agreed. Anyone who decided to skate to Zelda would be epic. This 4:30 orchestral version would be epic for any discipline:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxEyzxJ4NGI

I have the Zelda anniversary CD! :biggrin: These are also great and would work well for figure skating IMO:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THdRs7grqhE (Gerudo Valley)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hetWofrCz7U (Ballad of the Goddess)

And another version for Gerudo Valley: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nvdqk-jnqQc

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Welcome to Golden Skate, Gigi!

Peng & Zhang are skating to House of Flying Daggers this year! I don't know which songs from the movie they used, though. Some skaters have used Joe Hisaishi's music, including Howell's Moving Castle.

Karen Chen used House of Flying daggers too :) She did Memoirs of a Geisha 2011 season, House of Flying Daggers last season, Miss Saigon this season.

This leaves the following left from the 'Asian female peforming in North America 101 music': Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, Butterfly lovers, Yellow River, Heaven and earth, the last emperor, In the mood for love.... sigh...! I doubt Lust, Caution will be used for a few years due to subject matter, but that is a great sound track by Alexandre Desplat (e.g Wong Chia Chi;s theme). Actually most of his stuff are worth looking at for skating programs. They can be excellent for setting a mood, haunting mood changes as well as shapeless and broad stroke enough that the skater can riff from to establish their own choreographic style and individual touches (e.g someone mentioned Kings Speech also by Desplat).

Joe Hisashi has been used many times including Kazuka last year for Nausicaa Valley of the Wind (Lu Chen did as well). I agree about Video Games music. I own several album from Uematsu Nobuo of the SquareSoft game titles, they range from the mundane to crikey that was amazingly genius. (Although you can tell he rips off tons of Wagner, Tchaikovsky, Williams, Brit rock, Folk, Techno, Electrica etc.. but I don't care. Good artist copy, Great artists steal.) I'd also consider Anime series music outside the Miyasaki/Haisashi collection (which I hold sacrilege, not everyone are capable of doing them justice because the initial impression/fondness was so strong) as great alternatives. I really enjoyed Macross Plus series OST for example, e.g Orchestral arrangement version of 'Voices' can be a very effective program waiting to happen. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsX2YfwxZts

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
I see all these classical suggestions (I LOVE Salieri btw Coppertop!). I will go a little low brow. Let's talk movie soundtracks. I always believed there was the definitive "Titanic" program to that soundtrack. Shiz tried it, but she wasn't a name at that point, and needed more fine-tuning. I already have the four minutes in my head, where the footwork would go, spins, jumps. Of course that film is 16 years old now, but my alas, my heart will go on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ltuz2mbIlJA

I liked the idea, but she couldn't pull it off. I do love Shiz.

Johar

Medalist
THAT is the program that made me fall for her and feel that she could win Olympic Gold.

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
THAT is the program that made me fall for her and feel that she could win Olympic Gold.

What I find AMAZING is that only one year later, she improved her stretch and line 100%, and instantly became a 'contender'. I thought she was too introverted, and then the GPF in 2003 she was sharing ice with Sasha and completely cleaned her clock, plus she was doing 3/3s. I was not surprised at Shiz's 2004 World title. She was such an incredibly strong basic skater, had stretch, the jumps. Sasha looked like a pretty princess junior skating around the rink with Shiz. Who was she with that caused her to completely transform from 2003 Worlds to 2004? I know she was with Richard, but I don't believe he got her to 2004 World Champ. Who else did she train with? Tarasova? She went from "nice, very good, great skills" to "Dang that was one of the strongest WC performances ever!".

Gigi13

On the Ice
Ironically, my favorite Chen Lu LP was her 1995 one and I didn't even know Sakamoto composed the Last Emperor, I remember Kozuka using Nausicaa for his FP it was so beautiful those were good times. Now I'm just get sad thinking about him :cry:

Johar

Medalist

coppertop1

On the Ice
I see all these classical suggestions (I LOVE Salieri btw Coppertop!). I will go a little low brow. Let's talk movie soundtracks. I always believed there was the definitive "Titanic" program to that soundtrack. Shiz tried it, but she wasn't a name at that point, and needed more fine-tuning. I already have the four minutes in my head, where the footwork would go, spins, jumps. Of course that film is 16 years old now, but my alas, my heart will go on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ltuz2mbIlJA

I liked the idea, but she couldn't pull it off. I do love Shiz.

I listened to Salieri after watching Amadeus (I know that movie isn't historical, don't worry). His music is really good, I love the Catalina Overture. Someone do that please! I picture a pairs team, but a powerful, passionate team (hmm, looks at V/T)

With soundtracks, they come and go depending on the movies that are popular. They go in vogues. I would suggest limiting how many skaters in the same discipline can skate to the same piece. Like when three ice dance teams did Requiem for a Dream, or in the men's in 2000-01 when three men did Gladiator. Of course, if more skated to more pieces like we suggest it wouldn't be a problem.

What I find AMAZING is that only one year later, she improved her stretch and line 100%, and instantly became a 'contender'. I thought she was too introverted, and then the GPF in 2003 she was sharing ice with Sasha and completely cleaned her clock, plus she was doing 3/3s. I was not surprised at Shiz's 2004 World title. She was such an incredibly strong basic skater, had stretch, the jumps. Sasha looked like a pretty princess junior skating around the rink with Shiz. Who was she with that caused her to completely transform from 2003 Worlds to 2004? I know she was with Richard, but I don't believe he got her to 2004 World Champ. Who else did she train with? Tarasova? She went from "nice, very good, great skills" to "Dang that was one of the strongest WC performances ever!".
I would say Tarasova was behind that, she is known to bring out a skater's personality and passion out and she was wonderful with Shizuka. That performance at worlds was definitely one of the best and well-deserved. Same with 2006, Turandot really suited Shizuka. She has the power and command of the ice to bring it all

CarneAsada

Medalist
As I dozed off in the afternoon, I had a vision of Julia Lipnitskaya skating to the music from Star Wars. She was the chosen one that would lead her fellow Jedi, oops I mean Russians to triumph over the evil empire of Asiamerica led by Palpatine Empress Yuna Kim and supported by Darth Vader Mao Asada. Along the way, they had to take care to avoid falling into the hands of Jabba the Hutt Carolina Kostner, the gangster queen of western Europe, who subdued and imprisoned Julia's less-fortunate compatriot Elizaveta. But in the end, Julia survived the Evil Empress' relentless Force Lightning attacks, and she triumphed, all to the music of the famous theme. Then again, maybe I was actually dreaming of the Brahms Piano Concerto No.2 as they sound pretty much the same anyway.

I would say Tarasova was behind that, she is known to bring out a skater's personality and passion out and she was wonderful with Shizuka. That performance at worlds was definitely one of the best and well-deserved. Same with 2006, Turandot really suited Shizuka. She has the power and command of the ice to bring it all
I see a lot of praise for Turandot, but I really liked the Swan Lake remix for Shizuka's SP. Very different from the usual played-to-death versions and although it was a repeat program, the improvement between the 2003 and 2004 Worlds versions was incredible to see.

mary01

Final Flight
As I dozed off in the afternoon, I had a vision of Julia Lipnitskaya skating to the music from Star Wars. She was the chosen one that would lead her fellow Jedi, oops I mean Russians to triumph over the evil empire of Asiamerica led by Palpatine Empress Yuna Kim and supported by Darth Vader Mao Asada. Along the way, they had to take care to avoid falling into the hands of Jabba the Hutt Carolina Kostner, the gangster queen of western Europe, who subdued and imprisoned Julia's less-fortunate compatriot Elizaveta. But in the end, Julia survived the Evil Empress' relentless Force Lightning attacks, and she triumphed, all to the music of the famous theme. Then again, maybe I was actually dreaming of the Brahms Piano Concerto No.2 as they sound pretty much the same anyway.

I see a lot of praise for Turandot, but I really liked the Swan Lake remix for Shizuka's SP. Very different from the usual played-to-death versions and although it was a repeat program, the improvement between the 2003 and 2004 Worlds versions was incredible to see.

LOl, heh that's quite some imagination you have there

coppertop1

On the Ice

Crazy things we dream up.

I agree. I think Arakawa really flourished under Tarasova's guidance. Tarasova was the perfect coach for her and brought out the best in that SP as well, and the music was different. Kinda like Daisue's SP in 2008.