Tatsuki Machida | Page 15 | Golden Skate

Tatsuki Machida

ioanna

Record Breaker
^Thanks for this ionap. Much obliged to you and the other kind and generous fans who do English translations for us fans who do not know Japanese.

Thanks also to jimeonji for pointing me to the correct Bernstein conducted Ninth Symphony performance that Tatsuki will be interpreting. The performance for the Berlin Celebration Concert is my favorite due to context, but in any case as both you and ionap noted, the piece itself is epic. Tatsuki would have to skate "big" to do justice to that kind of music. I think he has it in him to do so, and I hope his decision not to "test run" his programs before the GPS will work well for him.
My Japanese skills are only beginner level so I always try to learn things on my own all the time - and Tatsuki gives me very good opportunities. That is why I am a fan not only of his skating, but also of his story telling talent, and ability to express various nuances of the human emotion.

ioanna

Record Breaker
Tatsuki made some statements regarding Daisuke's retirement in this video
http://youtu.be/mzxst_obU68?t=1m49s

He said he was shocked by the news and that he grew up and developed as a skater always admiring Dai. He also said the decision of retirement is a difficult task for any skater and that he will also be facing it in the near future, but there is always an option to come back again.

Edit: translation provided by fstranslations.tumblr.com
Tatsuki Machida: “His retirement is a devastating blow.”

Takahashi’s Olympic compatriot Machida said, “Takahashi-senshu’s retirement is a devastating blow to the figure skating world and to me, personally. Japan’s growth and development in figure skating is because of his achievements. For me personally, Takahashi-senshu is a skater who I admire, someone who motivates me to work hard and is someone I have learned a lot from.”

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker
^Yes, I would imagine that news of Daisuke's retirement hit Tatsuki hard specially since they have become close from being roommates in the Sochi Olympics. I am glad for Tatsuki that he was able to have those bonding moments with his idol, now in retrospect doubly precious. Tatsuki was also correct in recognizing Daisuke's singular contributions to Japanese figure skating. The British Esp commentators, who always have great things to say about Daisuke, once said that before there were observations that Japanese (male) figure skaters were not so expressive on the ice but "now they have a god in Takahashi."

Thanks ionap for the update.

PS. My apologies if my post seems more about Daisuke than Tatsuki. I think Tatsuki, who adores Daisuke, wouldn't mind.

ioanna

Record Breaker
News clip with Tatsuki talking about his new FS. It's short and includes some practice clips but it's mostly jumps/spins. We can't hear the actual music either.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2869k5

A translation of what he said (with help from this source)

I have decided to perform Beethoven's Symphony No.9 this season. It may be eccentric. Because when I'm on the ice I'm always skating by myself, and if I allow myself to be overwhelmed by the power of the chorus, my performance will end in failure. So I think this choice with chorus demands enormous resolution and effort.

lefeury

Rinkside
Ok, you can add me as a fan. I just think he is beautiful on ice. I especially took notice at worlds last season as he has a quality to his skating that drew me in. He is so artistic and strong. Looking forward to this season.

ioanna

Record Breaker
Ok, you can add me as a fan. I just think he is beautiful on ice. I especially took notice at worlds last season as he has a quality to his skating that drew me in. He is so artistic and strong. Looking forward to this season.

Welcome! Skate America is already next weekend, soon we will finally see his new programs :)

firal

Record Breaker
Finally seeing some footage of the new and improved Machida-san! From that dailymotion clip they mentioned unique footwork at the beginning of his jumps and trying to make the entries more difficult to up his GOEs. His jumps look very strong. I am looking forward to a good rivalry between him and Hanyu-san.

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker
Well it seems the GP season in really upon us now. Here's an additional video and translation of what to expect from Tatsuki this season, and yes, his anticipated rivalry with Yuzuru promises to be a feature of that. To newbiespectator's description of that rivalry as "most interesting and amusing," and firal's "good," I will add "riveting" and "intriguing."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SAUemiDpsA

-Any thoughts on your new programs for this season?
These new programs are good vehicles to win over Hanyu, in the case I deliver them very well. The programs themselves are good enough ones to beat him. The point is how well I will deliver them.
-Is the presence of Hanyu big in yourself?
I owe my skating in the last season to his skating. We made debuts in the senior field in the same season. He is younger than me by five years, though. I'm aiming at catching up with him and possively beat him in the case there is any room.
-Any theme for this season?
Machida(in the press conference for GPS): The theme for my new SP is 'far north of tragic love' and for LP is 'far north of symphonic skating'.
Telop: Kyokuhoku(=far north) means to reach the extremity of something.
Machida: 'Far north' is the word to embrace in my mind all through this season.
-The reason why you picked this word?
Machida: I really want to pursue the extremity of my expression. No going forward, no improvements. The pieces for this season are based on the combination of 'the tradition in myself' and 'the revolution in myself'.
-Can you show us any impressive movements in the new programs right now?
Machida: Oh, what I can tell you now is "Please watch me in Skate Amerika". I wish you'll imagine the scenery from my movements. There are lots of moments, cool and beautiful.

Thanks to rosewood for the above link and the translation! (http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/ind...-figure-skating-news-after-sochi.91545/page-9, post #255)

As always, thanks to jimeonji and ionap for the links and translations earlier in this thread.

ioanna

Record Breaker
Thank you for sharing the translation, Maria. So his "far north" theme does actually mean "extremity" here? That's how I interpreted but I was still having doubts.

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker
I would think so ionap. I also think that like Daisuke, you are too modest and that your Japanese is above beginner level as you get the nuances that can be lost in translation. :)

ioanna

Record Breaker
When I first read the article of the GP press conference, google was translating that kanji as "north pole" or even "arctic" and I thought that can't be taken literally in this context :laugh: Kanjis often have multiple meanings so I searched to see which meaning was the right one.

I'm thrilled to see Tatsuki so excited about his programs and it sounds like he's worked and put his heart into them so I hope they turn out well. They're both a challenge for him and I can't wait to see his portrayal of love and extreme symphony.