2013 Filipino Nationals | Golden Skate

2013 Filipino Nationals

I understand they were being held this weekend?

I've seen Caluza twitting Senior Men SP results. He was the only man competing. Michael Christian Martinez has withdrawn and Maverick Eguia wasn't entered.

Anybody has any more information or results?

DulceAmor

Spectator
I am confused why Martinez is going to the Olympics and not Caluza the National Champion of the Philippines that doesn't make any sense to me. It seems that bad trend happening in the Philippines Ice Skating Union as it happened also to another skater Melissa Bulanhagui. It seems that they are being rob of their dreams. Is it Olympics is International somebody should do something and check this out especially some people take second mortgages of their homes and work two job to support their children dreams this is a very expensive sports and it should be that eveybody deserve a fair shot. I wanted to have my daughter to do ice skating but I couldn't afford all the training expenses but I do love the ice skating world and I have so much respect for all the athletes and their family's, the coaches and the officials. Please don't let one bad apple to ruin it MAKE IT CLEAN SPORT don't play dirty.

M

mylastduchess

I am confused why Martinez is going to the Olympics and not Caluza the National Champion of the Philippines that doesn't make any sense to me. It seems that bad trend happening in the Philippines Ice Skating Union as it happened also to another skater Melissa Bulanhagui. It seems that they are being rob of their dreams. Is it Olympics is International somebody should do something and check this out especially some people take second mortgages of their homes and work two job to support their children dreams this is a very expensive sports and it should be that eveybody deserve a fair shot. I wanted to have my daughter to do ice skating but I couldn't afford all the training expenses but I do love the ice skating world and I have so much respect for all the athletes and their family's, the coaches and the officials. Please don't let one bad apple to ruin it MAKE IT CLEAN SPORT don't play dirty.

???

Martinez won the spot for the Philippines, Caluza did not. Martinez has higher PBS between the two and has a 3A, Caluza does not. Martinez is a local skater, Caluza is not. The decision makes perfect sense to me

M

mylastduchess

Thank you for the videos! :)

A good skate from Perticheto. Can't help but bitchily comment that if Bulanghui was there (I assume she didn't get clearance?), she probably wouldn't have beaten that. ;)

Is Untalan a local skater or American (I don't mean it in a disparaging way, I'm just curious)? I wasn't expecting to see a 3lutz/2toe/1loop! Nice!

I love Guidote's performance quality, so feisty!

Martinez won the spot for the Philippines, Caluza did not. Martinez has higher PBS between the two and has a 3A, Caluza does not. Martinez is a local skater, Caluza is not. The decision makes perfect sense to me

Also Martinez has had a very strong season so far. And he is still only 16 with two years left in Juniors! Sending him to the Olympics was definitely the right decision.

Although just like with Bulanghui vs. Perticheto, the federation should have been more transparent with the selection process.

M

mylastduchess

The overall skating level of the local skaters are not that high yet (understandably) but there is something that I like about this girl: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgWrx-hDcZY. I don't know how she placed

Kind of disappointed with Guidote actually, right now she seems to be the most promising of the local skaters but her jumps have not improved from last year. She still under rotate many of her jumps

DulceAmor

Spectator
what is PBS and 3A are these points that wins a competition?
???

DulceAmor

Spectator
what is PBS and 3A are these points that wins a competition?

is that all what they score on skating? This season Martinez and Caluza face off at the US Skate Challenge who place better between the 2, Caluza did... Martinez did not...in the same month about a week apart, Caluza went to Italy, place 2nd, total score over 200. Martinez went to Germany to qualify for the Olympic place 7, total score over 190.... Martinez a local skater train in US, Caluza is not local but also a Pilipino...Caluza 3 times Philippine National Champion, Martinez is not. Hellooo!!!!!Is National Championship make sense to you at all? Caluza looks like a full blooded Pilipino.. Martinez is not.. I don't know but he look like a mistiso of some other foreign country. It's like you saying that Jose Rizal is the National Hero but let us show the world it is Gerald Anderson.:confused:

Please don't use racial slurs. It is really offensive to deny somebody their identity on the basis of their appearance and skin colour (and it has nothing to do with their skating).

Can you make an argument for Caluza being the best choice for the Olympis because of his US International FS Classic and Lombardia Trophy results? Yes.

But you could make an argument in support for Martinez as well. He scored 198.82 points and a bronze medal at JGP Talinn Cup. Junior programs have one less element and specific requirements for the SP (and juniors get lower scores on average than seniors). It would have been over 200 points otherwise. It was also an ISU event with scoring being stricter than it is at non-ISU international competitions.

Martinez has a 3axel (which he lands quite consistently) and Caluza doesn't. Obviously this isn't the be all and end all of skating but that would factor into account.

Martinez was born and raised in the Phillipines and he learned how to skate there. Obviously he trains in the US now as there are no conditions to train at his level back home. I could understand how the federation wants to back a home-grown skater more.

Finally, what surely worked against Caluza was his 2013 Worlds performance.

I agree that there is a need for transparency in the selection criteria. We will not know what was said and promised to whom and I understand that the skaters can feel upset.

As for Bulanghui, Perticheto had better results last season and very similar results in the one international event they did this season, so I don't see anything wrong with that decision (other than again, not making the selection process transparent).

M

mylastduchess

is that all what they score on skating? This season Martinez and Caluza face off at the US Skate Challenge who place better between the 2, Caluza did... Martinez did not...in the same month about a week apart, Caluza went to Italy, place 2nd, total score over 200. Martinez went to Germany to qualify for the Olympic place 7, total score over 190.... Martinez a local skater train in US, Caluza is not local but also a Pilipino...Caluza 3 times Philippine National Champion, Martinez is not. Hellooo!!!!!Is National Championship make sense to you at all? Caluza looks like a full blooded Pilipino.. Martinez is not.. I don't know but he look like a mistiso of some other foreign country. It's like you saying that Jose Rizal is the National Hero but let us show the world it is Gerald Anderson.:confused:

Are you serious? Basing it on somebody's look on who seems more Filipino.... I never heard anything more ridiculous and they both look Filipino to anyone else. And by the way look at the result on that face "face-off" Caluza only made minor mistakes but Martinez fell several times and had several weak jumps YET Caluza only beat him by 2 points, and even got a higher PCS points than him. He's only 16 too so if the fed is smart and want to invest in the future Martinez will gain a lot in his Olympic experience
Caluza seems to have reached his peak technically and will probably be eliminated in the Short at the Olympics without a 3A or 3/3.... and he got lucky in Lambordia that he didn't get called on his 3/3 because it was a much smaller competition which is why its not counted by the ISU.