Musselman's Family Skating Tribute - NBC Sunday 4-6pm eastern time | Golden Skate

Musselman's Family Skating Tribute - NBC Sunday 4-6pm eastern time

heyang

Record Breaker
Hosted by Kristi Y and Mike W

Seeing too much of Sara Evans singing, but lovely skaters in the background include:

Brasseur and Marvel
Irina Slutskaya
Paul Wylie
Kurt Browning
Fontana and Zimmerman
Naomi Lang
Steven Cousins
Ekaterina Gordeeva
Ilia Kulik

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I'm watching it. So far, Kurt was great and so was Ilia Kulik. Michael Weiss' daughter is not a particularly good singer though.

I think Annie Mae might have been nervous, so she sang flat. At least I hope that was what happened. Watching Kurt and Ilia was such a delight. Both Kurt's routines were such impressive interpretations of music, with just enough of his signature moves to give them spark. I thought the Marvels and their daughter did a splendid job, too, with satisfying choreography. And how good to see Slutskaya again!

Liza Kulik did a nice double axel, didn't she? She looks tall for eleven, and very strong. Of course, next to Katia, everyone looks tall. Splendid to see the three of them skate together.

Now that's what I'm talking about! :love:

Irina Slutskaya still has it! Cool to see her little boy.

Michael Weiss' daughter got stronger as the song went on. She was nervous at first. I think the guy on the keyboard chimed in to help out the vocals.

I womder what the future these family shows will be when this generation of skaters -- comfortable as an old shoe -- move on. I'm trying to picture Sasha Cohen and daughter, Evan Lysacek and Evan, junior...

brightphoton

Medalist
You know figure skating is unpopular when a skating show focuses more on a famous person's daughter's mediocre singing than actual skating.

noskates

Record Breaker
Just watched this show. I have to agree....Annie Mae ought to maybe concentrate on soccer. I was embarassed for her. But honestly - Kurt Browning's little boys are adorable. They seem to have Kurt's personality. Agree with Mathman - Irina looked fabulous and her little boy was really cute. She had so much personality on the ice and she looks like she's in great shape.

Liza Kulik has a national title in her future. I couldn't believe her clean double axel and was that a triple toe? Tight rotation. Has the perfect body type and is quite the little performer for only being 11. Of course - the genes are there.

And interesting that Gabriella is going by Marvaldi instead of Marvel. I bet alot of people wouldn't even know she's Rocky and Isabel's daughter and isn't she beautiful?

It was an enjoyable show but have to say I'm a little tired of watching Steven Cousins. Never was much impressed with him as an amateur OR a pro. Didn't realize that Paul Wylie has 4 children. Tribute to Sochi was fun.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Liza Kulik did a nice double axel, didn't she? She looks tall for eleven, and very strong.
I was impressed...is she competing? I was taken aback by seeing Irina again...what happened to the little girl that Dick Button wanted to pinch her cheeks? ("Oh, all the old men want to do that..." she said)

Ice Princess

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Family Tribute

I saw the family tribute (the end) with Kristi Yamaguchi and saw Ekaterina Gordeeva skating and then her youngest daughter with another girl! She's tall now, like her dad, Ilia Kulik and skates beautifully like her mom!! Did anyone see her daughter Daria skate also?! Also saw Ilia skate alittle. :)

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I saw the family tribute (the end) with Kristi Yamaguchi and saw Ekaterina Gordeeva skating and then her youngest daughter with another girl! She's tall now, like her dad, Ilia Kulik and skates beautifully like her mom!! Did anyone see her daughter Daria skate also?! Also saw Ilia skate alittle. :)

FYI, the thread at the link below already has comments from others regarding the family tribute show:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
You know figure skating is unpopular when a skating show focuses more on a famous person's daughter's mediocre singing than actual skating.

On Friday morning, Weiss and his daughter made a live appearance on the Today show to promote Sunday's Disson broadcast. A fringe benefit is that they also had a primo opportunity to promote the daughter's song.
After a brief interview with both, the daughter stepped to the side of the rink to watch Weiss skate to a recording of her song.
I did not see the Disson broadcast, but the Today show's over-interest in the daughter had puzzled me. Example: one camera was showing a good fairly close-up shot of Weiss mid-jump, but the director essentially missed his landing -- switching instead to a much wider shot of Weiss plus a separate shot of the daughter.
(FWIW, I regret to say that I was underwhelmed by the recording of the song used by the Today show. But I don't blame Weiss as a loving father for supporting his daughter.)

In case someone is a super-intense Weiss fan, he tweeted the link to the Today show video:

(And for super-duper-intense fans, other tweets from him have the link to download the song from iTunes. ;))

Victura

On the Ice
Liza Kulik has a national title in her future. I couldn't believe her clean double axel and was that a triple toe? Tight rotation. Has the perfect body type and is quite the little performer for only being 11. Of course - the genes are there.

And interesting that Gabriella is going by Marvaldi instead of Marvel. I bet alot of people wouldn't even know she's Rocky and Isabel's daughter and isn't she beautiful?

I was curious about Gabriella's last name too and for whatever reason thought that maybe Marvaldi was just the feminine version of Marval in another language (maybe Italian?), kind of like Russian last names. Does anyone know?

Liza Kulik just executed her first double axel in competition recently and don't believe she's attempted any triples (here or in competition), though I wouldn't be surprised if she were learning them already. She didn't get out of regionals this year, unfortunately. Curious whether she has ever shown any interest in or tried doing pairs. Agree that her jumps look fabulous and looking forward to seeing her skating develop.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
We attended the live show & loved it. I overall was pleased with the broadcast. I'm not a country music fan by any stretch, but I felt Sara Evans had a decent voice, and I think the skaters were shown more in this show than in the past. Favorite performances, both of Kurt's and Paul's, but everyone was wonderful on the ice. A little bonus. Our party of four was sitting behind one of the Paul Mitchell banners, and we got on TV during Ilia's first program! I do wish that both of Katia & Ilia's programs were shown. They were stunning!

I believe that Marvaldi is Rocky's actual family name, and he (or others of the family) changed it to Marvel. Gabriella seems to have chosen the original version of the name for her skating career. I actually prefer it--so melodious. It is Italian, I believe. The routine Rocky did with his "ladies" was one of my favorites, with lovely moves like the double death spiral. My other favorite routine was the charming family restaurant scene with Kurt, Sonia, and the two boys. All wonderful performers! Kurt's poignant "Cat's in the Cradle" was splendid, as well.

I never cease to be amazed that Katia Gordeyeva, surely one of the world's most beautiful women, has two daughters who both look exactly like their fathers. (The guys equally gorgeous as well, of course.)

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
We attended the live show & loved it. I overall was pleased with the broadcast. I'm not a country music fan by any stretch, but I felt Sara Evans had a decent voice, and I think the skaters were shown more in this show than in the past. Favorite performances, both of Kurt's and Paul's, but everyone was wonderful on the ice. A little bonus. Our party of four was sitting behind one of the Paul Mitchell banners, and we got on TV during Ilia's first program! I do wish that both of Katia & Ilia's programs were shown. They were stunning!

I loved the broadcast show. How lucky you got to see it live. One of the best Dison shows I have seen in a long while. Wonderful heartfelt performances from the skaters
with their adorable children and a very pleasing musical guest. I was smiling all afternoon!

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
I believe that Marvaldi is Rocky's actual family name, and he (or others of the family) changed it to Marvel. Gabriella seems to have chosen the original version of the name for her skating career. I actually prefer it--so melodious. It is Italian, I believe. The routine Rocky did with his "ladies" was one of my favorites, with lovely moves like the double death spiral. My other favorite routine was the charming family restaurant scene with Kurt, Sonia, and the two boys. All wonderful performers! Kurt's poignant "Cat's in the Cradle" was splendid, as well.

I never cease to be amazed that Katia Gordeyeva, surely one of the world's most beautiful women, has two daughters who both look exactly like their fathers. (The guys equally gorgeous as well, of course.)

Yeah, he was born Rocco Marvaldi.

Just watched this show. I have to agree....Annie Mae ought to maybe concentrate on soccer. I was embarassed for her. But honestly - Kurt Browning's little boys are adorable. They seem to have Kurt's personality. Agree with Mathman - Irina looked fabulous and her little boy was really cute. She had so much personality on the ice and she looks like she's in great shape.

It was an enjoyable show but have to say I'm a little tired of watching Steven Cousins. Never was much impressed with him as an amateur OR a pro. Didn't realize that Paul Wylie has 4 children. Tribute to Sochi was fun.

I felt like Michael Weiss' daughter was overwhelmed at the beginning. Michael should have helped her out by taking to the ice sooner.

I think Liza Kulik's second jump was a double. But yeah, great double Axel, and as for performance, she stole the spotlight from her mom. :)

Rocky Marval and Calla Urbanski got a lot of mileage out of the nickname, "the waitress and the truck driver." In fact, the Marvaldis owned a trucking company. Rocky did do some driving and other work in the family business.

I think only three of the children in the Wylie family performance were Paul's own. The fourth was announced as a friend.

Last edited: