Article on Yuna Kim: "Skating queen fully healed" | Golden Skate

Article on Yuna Kim: "Skating queen fully healed"

Sara

On the Ice
http://koreajoongangdaily.joins.com....aspx?aid=2980412&cloc=rss|news|joongangdaily

Excerpt:

Figure skating queen Kim Yu-na has completely recovered from an injury to her right foot, her physician said yesterday. Na Young-moo, president of Sol Hospital, where Kim has received treatment for her injury, said: “She is 99.9 percent healed from the injury. She still feels some minor pain during training, but it is negligible. I saw Kim performing her short and free programs and I didn’t see any problems. She can now jump with full power and can basically perform everything she needs to now.”

Last edited:

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
This is great news! I can't wait to see her perform her programs!

Robeye

Final Flight
:)

Yes, I'm pretty much waiting for this as well.

We haven't seen Yuna on ice in several months now, and my curiosity is at this point pretty intense.

Go Yuna! Blow my hair back! :rock:

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
I never really believed she was that injured to be honest. Maybe she had a small injury but I believe she simply didnt want to skate the grand prix, and so was looking for anything to get out of it.

Heh heh. Kim is playing the perfect strategy once again. At worlds she popped out of a time capsule from 2010. Then popped back in. Come Sochi…

Wingèd rumor stirs the wint’ry air.
Kim.
Kim.
Where? Which is she?
Will the following competitors please take the ice: Asada, Kostner, Lipnitskaia, Wagner, Sotnikova…

Kim.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
I never really believed she was that injured to be honest. Maybe she had a small injury but I believe she simply didnt want to skate the grand prix, and so was looking for anything to get out of it.

Honestly put, I think we all knew this. I am not surprised, expected this. She did not want to do GPF sand is exactly following lasts years "strategy" to use MM's word. So yawn yawn, another gold unless the politikers in Russia hammer any mistakes, if she makes and and little miss Julia is perfect. Maybe yhey will go with Julia, but I doubt it. YuNa should win easily. An great Julia as we have seen will beat anyone but YuNa. I wonder if Russians will take silver and bronze? very possible, even likely. 4 Russian girls in the GPF. Ladies is incredible. They really put their money into figureskating. I think they will get at least 4 medals in FS.

Sara

On the Ice
Honestly put, I think we all knew this. I am not surprised, expected this. She did not want to do GPF sand is exactly following lasts years "strategy" to use MM's word. So yawn yawn, another gold unless the politikers in Russia hammer any mistakes, if she makes and and little miss Julia is perfect. Maybe yhey will go with Julia, but I doubt it. YuNa should win easily. An great Julia as we have seen will beat anyone but YuNa. I wonder if Russians will take silver and bronze? very possible, even likely. 4 Russian girls in the GPF. Ladies is incredible. They really put their money into figureskating. I think they will get at least 4 medals in FS.

Personally I don't buy this theory of her just not wanting to do the GP. What do you mean by Russians taking silver and bronze, in the Olympics or GPF? I think there is a chance that Julia wins bronze in Sochi but I have a feeling that the medals will go to "veterans", Yuna, Mao, Ashley/Caro. Julia and especially Adelina (if selected) won't be able to cope with the huge pressure and expectations at their home Olympics.

quikrush

Rinkside
If I remember correctly Yuna participated in all the GP events during the 0910 season, faltered in a couple of competitions, but when Vancouver came around, well everyone knows what happened there. She could take up that 'strategy' just as well as last year's. I for one believe in her injury barring her from the GP, and I'm only thankful that it happened earlier in the season.

RABID

Final Flight

Seems there are a few people here that take it as a given that YuNa's injury is somehow part of her strategy. Really? If this is the case then she must be either delusional or an EXTREMELY arrogant young woman knowing the caliber of her competition and how much they would be honing their programs with each competition this Olympic year. Now add the wild card of Julia making a splash this season. Also, recall the judging of her short program this last Worlds'... you know she remembers how the judges were NOT as enthusiastic about her skate as she would have hoped and it was only because her free skate was so well done that the judges scored her appropriately then (my opinion). There are pros and cons for either "strategy" but remember if she wins her first competition this year but looks rough doing it then THAT is what the judges are going to remember. No other competitions other than the Olympics for the judges to rethink their opinions of her programs. Very risky and convoluted thinking if true. The best strategy is to recognize reputation has to be earned EVERY season and she is the best at garnering good reputation so why would she do something else so risky? In a word, nonsense.

Rachmaninoff

Final Flight
Why would it have been necessary for Yu Na to have some excuse if she simply didn't want to do the Grand Prix? Would she not have just been able to say she was opting not to do it? I, for one, wouldn't blame her if she didn't, since just having a couple competitions before "the big one" worked out well for her last year. Would anyone have held it against her if she simply wanted to go with a similar strategy again? What would they have done, barred her from the Sochi Olympics? Fixed the competition so Mao wins?

Anyway, glad to hear she's in top form again, and I look forward to seeing her.

penguin

On the Ice
I think it's the opposite, it would have helped her to do the Grand Prix, so skipping it purely as strategy doesn't seem like something a smart skater would want to do. I think she was lowballed at Worlds last year for the SP because judges weren't sure she was back to form, and then once she skated the LP it was clear that she was. So there's a risk to not competing much. I think she probably wasn't VERY injured, but like so many skaters she decided it was best to be safe early on.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
If she did two events she'd have to do the final, too. It is a lot of travel. No one said there was no injury. It just was not major. We know that if it was serious, they'd never let on, as Mao camp would go sky high. She did not want to do 3 competitions, travel, risk real injury, further injury. It is exactly what happened last year. She saw how hugely she scored coming back for worlds. There is also a lot of superstition and the strategy was perfect last year. YuNa was cool as a cucumber at Worlds. She's done all this for years. She knows she does not need to get her programs out there. She'd rather stay home in her rink, train every day, do ner nationals, and a senior b have no stress about other skaters and let loose in Sochi.

It is clearly better strategy to do what she did last year-so obvious. She'll win easily. She only need be clean. And she'll win by 20 points. The judges told her that last year at worlds. She would be crazy to do the GPF season when she can get out with small injury. Everyone honest expected her to be 100 percent before her Nationals or senior B. Its a done deal, unless she falls and Julia is perfect. Even then they likely go with YuNa. I don't think the other vets have it in the bag at all. Mao may podium, but Caro? Oly is never her event. Ashley is not a veteran Olympian. She may be very nervous. I hope not.

Sara

On the Ice
Seems there are a few people here that take it as a given that YuNa's injury is somehow part of her strategy. Really? If this is the case then she must be either delusional or an EXTREMELY arrogant young woman knowing the caliber of her competition and how much they would be honing their programs with each competition this Olympic year. Now add the wild card of Julia making a splash this season. Also, recall the judging of her short program this last Worlds'... you know she remembers how the judges were NOT as enthusiastic about her skate as she would have hoped and it was only because her free skate was so well done that the judges scored her appropriately then (my opinion). There are pros and cons for either "strategy" but remember if she wins her first competition this year but looks rough doing it then THAT is what the judges are going to remember. No other competitions other than the Olympics for the judges to rethink their opinions of her programs. Very risky and convoluted thinking if true. The best strategy is to recognize reputation has to be earned EVERY season and she is the best at garnering good reputation so why would she do something else so risky? In a word, nonsense.

:thumbsup:

sporkwhatspork

Rinkside
Why would it have been necessary for Yu Na to have some excuse if she simply didn't want to do the Grand Prix? Would she not have just been able to say she was opting not to do it?
IIRC, I believe that all eligible skaters who are picked for GP assignments are obligated to compete. Simply backing down by saying "No, I don't want to," isn't allowed, at least not without some sort of penalty.

However, I'm no figure skating expert, I'm more of a layman's fan, lol, so someone please correct me if I have that completely wrong.

MiRé

Match Penalty
Glad to hear her recovery.
Oh and some people really need to let go of their nonsense against this "absence."
Yuna said she had an injury, respect the skater by wishing for a recovery, not "oh she's faking" type of crap.