Psychologizing skaters: attributing success and failure to mental states | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Psychologizing skaters: attributing success and failure to mental states

Poodlepal

On the Ice
Well, why would a skater not skate well at a particular competition?
1. They are doing jumps that are too hard for them and never/rarely land, even in practice but the coach said to try them for whatever reason--maybe if they're rotated, they'll get some points, for example, even if they fall. The reason they can't do the jumps could be that they are not as talented as some naturally or due to training issues.

2. They have an ache or pain that makes it hard for them to land a jump on that particular day that they usually land

3. They are jetlagged/affected by altitude or something else because they are away from home

4. There is something wrong with the ice/temperature/music/costume, etc. in that rink on that day

5. They have performance anxiety and can't perform as well when they're being judged as they can when they are not.

I would think that it could be any one of those reasons on any given day, but when someone repeatedly fails to skate clean, probably #1 or #5.

Which skaters seem like the "life of the party?" Most of them do not, in my opinion. Certainly not Alissa or Jeremy, two of the famed "head cases." They both seem sort of shy and sensitive (her moreso than him).

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Which skaters seem like the "life of the party?" Most of them do not, in my opinion. Certainly not Alissa or Jeremy, two of the famed "head cases." They both seem sort of shy and sensitive (her moreso than him).

My comment about those who seem to be the "life of the party" pertained to skaters in general (not restricted to any subset including only those who have been described by others as being affected by psychological factors).

I don't know any of the skaters in person, but based on social media, interviews, etc., I get the impression that some possible LOTP-types are: Trankov, Moore-Towers, Moir, White, Piper Gilles, Ge, etc. (Those are just a few examples off the top of my head.)

BTW, I am using LOTP in a positive sense -- a gal or guy with an energetic sense of humor/fun and a friendly word/smile for all.
(I am not talking about overindulgence in alcohol, excessive rowdiness, or that kind of thing.)