Japanese men's team for Sochi | Golden Skate

Japanese men's team for Sochi

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Dai is injured and there are like 6 really good Japanese men. Who are you rooting for.

Foremost, I'm rooting for Dai, fast recovery, then, I'd like to see Hanyu skate (sans that blouse of course, lol) and for third, well, Machida has been impressive but I like Takahiko more. He's such a sweet looking kid. SO that's my dream team for Japanese men. Who is yours?

Franklin99

Medalist
Dai (when he does his best, no one can touch him artistically)
Yuzuru (young, but so full of promise)
Oda (He's so much fun. Who can match the Oda's personality)
And if one of those 3 doesn't make it, I so hope Machida gets it. He's the most consistent of the top 6.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Hanyu, Takahashi, Oda. Machida making it would be great too, however he has more years in him.

I'd also love to see Oda make it after facing so much heat from skeptics.

Franklin99

Medalist
Hanyu, Takahashi, Oda. Machida making it would be great too, however he has more years in him.

I'd also love to see Oda make it after facing so much heat from skeptics.

Actually, Machida is 23, and Hanyu is only 18. Hanyu should sit this Olympics out since, while very talented, he's 1. not consistent enough yet, and 2. will only be Machida's age by the 2018 Olympic. So if anything, he's the one that has more years in him.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Ideally I would like Takahashi, Kozuka, and Machida, but since there is almost no chance of either Takahashi or Hanyu being left off the team (or Kozuka making it at this point) I will go with Takahshi, Hanyu, and Machida. For Machida to miss the team the way he has skated this season would be absolutely devastating. I definitely dont want to see that. If Oda makes the team good comeback for him and congrats, but his skating does absolutely nothing for me, and never has. I always found him devoid of any artistry or maturity on ice.

I also dont agree Machida has the future all in front of him. If he makes the team and builds confidence from that yeah he could have many more bright years ahead. However if he fails to make the team yet again after skating so well this year, it wont be easy for him to make any future teams, let alone the next Olympics. Hanyu and Mura are both much younger than him, and there are surely other young Japanese coming up. He needs to make the team for his career and future both.

jennyanydots

On the Ice
Not that worried about Daisuke's injury. It's minor and all he needs to do is rest it a little. So he definitely should be on the team. My other picks are Yuzu and Tatsuki Machida. It would be nice to see Oda on the team too but at this point Tatsuki looks to be the better choice. Mura and Kozuka appear to be done.

Becki

Medalist
Ideally I would like Takahashi, Kozuka, and Machida, but since there is almost no chance of either Takahashi or Hanyu being left off the team (or Kozuka making it at this point) I will go with Takahshi, Hanyu, and Machida. For Machida to miss the team the way he has skated this season would be absolutely devastating. I definitely dont want to see that. If Oda makes the team good comeback for him and congrats, but his skating does absolutely nothing for me, and never has. I always found him devoid of any artistry or maturity on ice.

I also dont agree Machida has the future all in front of him. If he makes the team and builds confidence from that yeah he could have many more bright years ahead. However if he fails to make the team yet again after skating so well this year, it wont be easy for him to make any future teams, let alone the next Olympics. Hanyu and Mura are both much younger than him, and there are surely other young Japanese coming up. He needs to make the team for his career and future both.

Mura(born 91) is one year younger than Machida (born 90).

seniorita

Record Breaker
Dai, Hanyu and and I m so wanting Kozuka in the team :)no:). I like Oda but Kozu is dreamy.

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
Franklin99 said:
Actually, Machida is 23, and Hanyu is only 18. Hanyu should sit this Olympics out since, while very talented, he's 1. not consistent enough yet, and 2. will only be Machida's age by the 2018 Olympic. So if anything, he's the one that has more years in him.

With men's skating being like a grab bad in huge parts these days, I don't think the most countries would even have enough men being 'consistent' enough to fill all their spots. I can't think of any 3 japanese guys, 2 american men or just one russian I would really call consistent.
And the fact that Hanyu is so young is exactly the reason the JSF will send him if they can find any justification for it (and since he was the highest placing japanese men at last years worlds, and is the highest rank in ISU standings....). After Sochi, a lot of the big stars will be gone, and Hanyu already is pretty popular. Additionally, he looks like their best shot at 2018.

I really can't see them leaving Takahashi off the podium after NHK either. No matter how good the other japanese men deliver, they don't have the same scoring potential and aren't real medal favorites (though they could sneak in for medals, with mistakes from other skaters). Machida skated really well so far, especially in SA, but Takahashi/Hanyu skating well would still beat him.

As of now I'm still just crying over Kozuka not making the team :cry:

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Hanyu sitting out this Olympics is ridiculous considering with the exception of Dai there is no other Japanese man that can beat him when he skates even semi decently. Besides this might be his only chance to go to Olympics he could get injured in the future and never be the same skater. When you are good enough to make a Olympic team it doesn't matter your age.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Dai has to go. I don't know much about this injury but I hope he can get a bye at nationals and should be 100% by February. Machida and Hanyu should be 2 and 3. Machida had been consistent and has a fantastic style. I'm worried about Hanyu's quads this year and he seems like nerves could really affect him but is capable of scoring high and would be a great Olympic experience to build on for 2018.

phaeljones

On the Ice
With men's skating being like a grab bad in huge parts these days, I don't think the most countries would even have enough men being 'consistent' enough to fill all their spots. I can't think of any 3 japanese guys, 2 american men or just one russian I would really call consistent.
And the fact that Hanyu is so young is exactly the reason the JSF will send him if they can find any justification for it (and since he was the highest placing japanese men at last years worlds, and is the highest rank in ISU standings....). After Sochi, a lot of the big stars will be gone, and Hanyu already is pretty popular. Additionally, he looks like their best shot at 2018.

I really can't see them leaving Takahashi off the podium after NHK either. No matter how good the other japanese men deliver, they don't have the same scoring potential and aren't real medal favorites (though they could sneak in for medals, with mistakes from other skaters). Machida skated really well so far, especially in SA, but Takahashi/Hanyu skating well would still beat him.

As of now I'm still just crying over Kozuka not making the team :cry:

I agree with Li'Kitsu in everything, as set out above, even the crying part regarding Kozuka. This is a great thread, but I almost don't want to make the choices of who to include because it means making the choices of who not to include.

Adding to the above:
Although I think that merit should be the only consideration, sentimentally speaking, Machida is the only skater of the six who has not skated at worlds. (Such is the depth of Japan skating!) It would be somewhat heartwarming to see him have a year where he gets the chance to participate in the bigger events like the Olympics and Worlds. I would be very surprised if he has very many years left in skating.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Dai has to go. I don't know much about this injury but I hope he can get a bye at nationals and should be 100% by February. Machida and Hanyu should be 2 and 3. Machida had been consistent and has a fantastic style. I'm worried about Hanyu's quads this year and he seems like nerves could really affect him but is capable of scoring high and would be a great Olympic experience to build on for 2018.

I love Dai but he does not deserve a bye. I don't think any of the Japanese men deserve byes and if so, IMO, Hanyu deserves it more than Dai, based on consistent performances.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Whether he deserves one or not if he did choose that route (deeming himself too hurt to skate at Nationals) he would probably get it. The JSF definitely want both Hanyu and Takahashi on the team, and would only leave either off by a forced hand. Any opportunity they have to put them on they will. Hanyu is their biggest future hope and is a big threat for a medal in Sochi, and Takahashi is their most popular star and will add alot of interest to the Games for the Japanese by his presence, and they also want to honor his great career by sending him to a last Olympics.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Yuzu for now is the only lock
and it should be a booster for Yuzu in GPF where Chan doesn't do well in Japan soil :), he can win this !
the same can happen in Olympics in Russia where the overrated Chan have poor result records

wallylutz

Medalist
If I recall correctly, participation at Japanese Nationals is mandatory. JSF has the right to give a spot to a skater placed way outside of the Top 3 however, the said skater still needs to attend and complete the Japanese Nationals.

In other words, Takahashi may not skip Japanese Nationals and get a bye. However, he can go there and finish 5th yet still be given a spot.

emdee

Final Flight
and it should be a booster for Yuzu in GPF where Chan doesn't do well in Japan soil :), he can win this !
the same can happen in Olympics in Russia where the overrated Chan have poor result records

Really?
I thought Chan won his first WC there and even the Mighty Tarasova stood up and clapped for him.

wallylutz

Medalist

Remind me, who was the winner of Japan Open 2011 in Men's?

Also, what was the place where the previous world record score of combined SP + FS for men was registered prior to TEB 2013?

wallylutz

Medalist
I think it's a smart thing for Daisuke to skip GPF, not only it gives him some quality time to get ready for the Japanese Nationals, he also avoids going head to head against the 3 times World Champion while he is riding a momentum. On the other hand, Hanyu has been practicing "beat up by Chan" at every event in 2013 so much to the point that it is becoming almost like an automation that whenever judges see him, it's an easy 15 points+ in PCS against him. It may help JSF to realize that Hanyu is hopeless and needs to be dumped in favor of either Machida or Takahashi for a chance at possible OGM, especially if Oda and/or Machida can take advantage of Hanyu's vulnerabilities and inexperience at the GPF.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Remind me, who was the winner of Japan Open 2011 in Men's?

Also, what was the place where the previous world record score of combined SP + FS for men was registered prior to TEB 2013?

and thats it to be bragged ? he has been to Japan open many times and even skipped 4CCS held in Japan
there are certain locations that skaters seem to do well and not well, for the most part this is Chan's poor track record
Yuzu should easily grab gold at the GPF, hopefully this momentum will be in Olympics which also a karma soil for Chan